Lorenzo suffering after making MotoGP comeback at Silverstone

By Sports Desk August 23, 2019

Jorge Lorenzo conceded he struggled to cope with the physical demands of MotoGP during Friday's practice session at Silverstone following an absence.

Lorenzo had missed the past four rounds after fracturing vertebrae in his back in a crash during practice at Assen in June.

The Spaniard targeted the British Grand Prix as his comeback race, but he struggled in practice, finishing last on the combined times and 3.682 seconds off leader Fabio Quartararo, and Lorenzo acknowledges he needs to be patient.

"It has been a tough day because you never feel very comfortable when you are in the last positions and you are last like I was," Lorenzo said.

"It is the situation that we have now and to try to push creates crashes and the consequences that you can imagine, so for the moment it is the situation that I have.

"My back has not healed completely, and I have pain, especially after FP2, and I have lost muscle mass and my physical conditions is not used to MotoGP because of two months without bikes. Little by little, I need to be patient to get through this race."

Lorenzo added he is unsure if he will be able to complete the full 20 laps on Sunday.

"I don’t know yet. After the second practice I started to feel more pain on my back compared to yesterday," the Repsol Honda driver said.

"Every practice that I will do, it will be worse for my back, but I need to manage it and try to manage the right laps, to be able to make the maximum pace and get the right laps without getting worse with my injury.

"Almost everywhere I have problems physically, in braking, also in the middle of the corners with my neck as my neck lost a lot of muscle, and the change of direction.

"I have the pain in the back and I move very slowly, so everything I do very slowly. It shows that in my three-and-a-half seconds off to the fastest ones."

 

 

Related items

  • Carlos Sainz wins third Dakar Rally at 57 Carlos Sainz wins third Dakar Rally at 57

    Carlos Sainz added another Dakar Rally title to his glittering CV on Friday, winning the event for the third time at the age of 57.

    The rally legend had previously triumphed in 2010 and 2018 and led from the third stage this year.

    He finished six minutes and 21 seconds ahead of defending champion Nasser al-Attiyah.

    Fernando Alonso, making his debut at the event, finished in 13th. 

    The two-time Formula One world champion was among those to pay tribute to the two-time World Rally champion, posting a video of him congratulating Sainz on his Instagram page.

    Sainz's son, Carlos Sainz Jr, wrote of his father on Twitter: "3 Dakars, 3 different brands, 57 years, same passion, same desire, same motivation. 

    "The pride I feel as a son right now is very difficult to explain so I can't think of anything else to say. You're the p*** amo! [the best]."

    On his own Twitter page, Sainz hailed co-driver Lucas Cruz, posting: "CHAMPIONS! This 3rd Dakar has been very hard but we have enjoyed it!

    "I'm still having fun, and we've been on the attack every day. Great @LucasCruz74 and thank you all for your support these weeks."

  • Fernando Alonso drives without windshield after big Dakar Rally crash Fernando Alonso drives without windshield after big Dakar Rally crash

    Fernando Alonso is determined to make up ground at the Dakar Rally after suffering a significant crash on Wednesday.

    Alonso's vehicle was without a windshield after dramatically flipping down a sand dune at high speed.

    The two-time Formula One world champion continued driving without a windshield after an incident which halted him for over an hour. 

    "All good and ready!! Looking forward to recovering ground," Alonso wrote on Instagram ahead of Thursday's resumption of the race.

    Alonso and co-driver Marc Coma finished Wednesday's stage 10 in 55th position out of the 64 runners, one hour and 17 minutes off the pace.

    They are faring better in the overall standings, though, sitting in 14th place. 

    Stage 10 came to an early halt after organisers halted proceedings 345km into the day's racing due to strong winds.

  • Ferrari star Leclerc vows no repeat of Vettel crash Ferrari star Leclerc vows no repeat of Vettel crash

    Charles Leclerc has vowed there will be no repeat of the incident that saw him crash with Ferrari team-mate Sebastian Vettel in Brazil.

    The pair collided in the penultimate grand prix of the 2019 Formula One season as their long-running rivalry came to a head in an embarrassing incident for the Scuderia, with both drivers forced to retire.

    Team principal Mattia Binotto insisted the air had been cleared and Leclerc ​– who in December signed fresh terms until 2024 – is confident the pair can use their competitive nature to positive effect this season.

    "We are extremely competitive and sometimes on track we might have some frictions," Leclerc told Autosport.

    "But in the end we are mature enough to know that what happened on track is on track and off it we are different.

    "The most important thing is we work together well off track to develop the car in the best way possible and of course not exceed the limits when we are on track like we have seen in Brazil.

    "But I think it was a good lesson for both of us and it won't happen again."

    Leclerc, 10 years Vettel's junior, finished 24 points ahead of his team-mate in the standings last season.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.