MLB

Dodgers confirm signing of Cy Young winner Trevor Bauer

By Sports Desk February 11, 2021

The Los Angeles Dodgers confirmed the signing of free agent Trevor Bauer on a three-year deal on Thursday.

Bauer, who was the National League Cy Young award winner with the Cincinnati Reds in 2020, confirmed last week he was joining the Dodgers instead of the New York Mets.

The 30-year-old pitcher will reportedly earn a record-breaking $40million in his first season with the World Series champions in 2021.

Bauer is set to then break that record again in 2022 as he earns $45m, although there are opt-out clauses after both years. It is said he will then take in $17m in the final year of his contract.

The ex-UCLA ace, who was presented at Dodger Stadium, is the first Cy Young winner to enter free agency since Greg Maddux in 1992.

Bauer led the NL in ERA (1.73), WHIP (0.795), opponents' batting average (.159), opponents' BABIP (.215), adjusted ERA-plus (276), hits per nine innings (5.1), shutouts (two) and complete games (two) in the coronavirus-shortened 2020 campaign.

The 2018 All-Star also ranked second in strikeouts (100) and strikeouts per nine innings (12.3).

Related items

  • European Super League: Agnelli told Juventus to 'earn' Champions League place - Pirlo European Super League: Agnelli told Juventus to 'earn' Champions League place - Pirlo

    Andrea Pirlo and his Juventus team are "calm" about the club's involvement in the breakaway European Super League and remain focused on first qualifying for the Champions League.

    Juve were among 12 elite clubs to announce plans to launch a lucrative new continental competition on Sunday. All founding clubs would controversially be guaranteed participation every season.

    Bianconeri chairman Andrea Agnelli is at the forefront of the plans, prompting criticism from UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin, who is charged with organising the rival Champions League.

    Ceferin has made a number of threats towards the dozen clubs involved, including the suggestion their players could be banned from international fixtures.

    But Pirlo is confident the saga is not providing a distraction ahead of Juve's game on Wednesday against Parma, who they could beat in four successive Serie A meetings for the first time.

    Three points would be particularly precious with Pirlo's men in fourth, struggling to qualify for the Champions League.

    While Super League proposals suggested a swift start to the new tournament, meaning Juve would no longer play in UEFA's competition, Agnelli has encouraged the players to ensure they finish in the top four this term.

    "We are focused on what we need to do and that is to qualify for the Champions League," Pirlo said.

    "This morning the president told us about the Super League. We are calm, because the president is planning this thing, but we have to think about the present, which is qualification for the Champions League.

    "[The Super League] is a development for the world of football. There's been a lot of change over the years, but I'm not the right person to explain this.

    "The president is at the forefront and he will be better able to explain things as they are these days, as the other presidents are doing.

    "I didn't hear anything further from the president, because we see him most days and so he's always been close to the team.

    "He explained the project to us broadly, not in detail, but he gave us great confidence and told us that the most important thing is to continue our work to earn the Champions League on the field.

    "For now, [the Super League] is just a project and [the players] have to rest easy because football goes on.

    "They know that the present is tomorrow's game and they must focus on the present and Parma."

    Juve have lost five of their 31 league games so far this season, their most at this stage of a campaign since 2010-11 (nine) - the last time the title went anywhere other Turin.

    The most recent of those defeats came last time out against Atalanta, but Pirlo was without Cristiano Ronaldo.

    The coach confirmed Ronaldo, along with Gianluigi Buffon and Paulo Dybala, would start against Parma, one of the superstar forward's favourite opponents.

    He has scored two or more goals in three games against Parma in Serie A. Against no side has he done so more often, also netting at least twice in three matches with Cagliari.

  • Head coach Tomlin commits to Steelers through 2024 Head coach Tomlin commits to Steelers through 2024

    Head coach Mike Tomlin has signed a three-year contract extension with the Steelers, keeping him in Pittsburgh through the 2024 season.

    Tomlin has been in charge of the Steelers since 2007 and won Super Bowl XLIII in February 2009.

    The youngest coach to win the Super Bowl, Tomlin and Pittsburgh lost the big game on their next trip two years later and have not returned since.

    But the Steelers have repeatedly challenged, reaching the playoffs in nine of his 14 seasons.

    In 2020, the Steelers made an 11-0 start before an underwhelming end to the season. Four defeats in five and a 12-4 record was still enough to win the AFC North, but Pittsburgh then suffered a humiliating postseason defeat to division rival the Cleveland Browns.

    They are keeping faith with Tomlin, however.

    "Mike is one of the most successful head coaches in the National Football League," president Art Rooney II said.

    "And we are confident in his leadership to continue to lead our team as we work to win another championship."

    The Steelers have favoured continuity, with Tomlin just their third coach since 1969 – the others Hall of Famers Chuck Noll and Bill Cowher.

    Tomlin, whose contract had been set to expire at the end of the coming season, said: "I am extremely grateful for this contract extension and want to thank Art Rooney II and everyone in the organisation for the support in my first 14 seasons.

    "We have a goal of winning the organisation's seventh Super Bowl championship, and I couldn't be more enthusiastic about this upcoming season."

    The Steelers have restructured veteran quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's contract, so it voids after 2021.

    But the 39-year-old is set to start under center for one more season after finishing the previous campaign with an eventful display against the Browns.

    Roethlisberger threw for more than 500 yards (501) for the fourth time in his career and set new highs for attempts (68) and completions (47). He finished with four touchdowns and four interceptions.

  • Kane absent from Spurs training as Mason relishes his 'crazy' chance Kane absent from Spurs training as Mason relishes his 'crazy' chance

    Harry Kane faces a race to be fit for Tottenham's clash with Manchester City in the EFL Cup final after missing training on Tuesday.

    The striker looks certain not to be involved in Wednesday's Premier League home match against Southampton after suffering an ankle injury in last Friday's 2-2 draw with Everton.

    Caretaker head coach Ryan Mason, who took over from the sacked Jose Mourinho on Monday, could offer no guarantee the England captain would be ready for Sunday's Wembley trip.

    Mason said in a news conference: "I'm not sure currently. He didn't train today. It's one of those cases of taking it day by day. We're still not sure about the weekend just yet.

    "What we do now is Harry's working extremely hard to get over this injury."

    Kane has scored 31 goals and had 16 assists across all competitions this season, making him the only player from Europe's 'top five' leagues to score 30 or more times and add at least 15 assists.

    Handed the job until the end of the season, rookie coach Mason is a former Tottenham player who had to retire three years ago due to a head injury sustained while at Hull City.

    The 29-year-old said he was "very proud" to be chosen to lead the team, and rallied the players by declaring: "I want us to be brave and aggressive and play like Tottenham Hotspur."

    Chairman Daniel Levy proposed Mason should succeed Mourinho as interim boss after dismissing the former Chelsea and Manchester United manager.

    "We had a very long conversation," Mason said. "I took training, we had another conversation and he asked me if I wanted it."

    Former Charlton Athletic and England defender Chris Powell and ex-Watford man Nigel Gibbs will be assistants to Mason.

    Mason said he and former Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino had "exchanged a few messages" since the dramatic upheaval. He also said he had not spoken to Mourinho.

    Mason was in the line-up the last time Saints won at Spurs in the Premier League, a 2-1 victory in May 2016, but Tottenham have typically had Southampton's number in north London, winning eight of their past nine at home in this fixture.

    Tottenham's impressive record in home Premier League games on Wednesday is another positive omen as Mason seeks a winning start. Since a 1-0 loss to Leicester City in January 2016, they have won 10 of their 11 such matches (D1), scoring 25 goals and conceding just four.

    Son Heung-min scored four goals in Tottenham’s 5-2 win against Southampton in the reverse fixture earlier this season, with all four assisted by Kane. That remains the only occasion in Premier League history when a player has scored four goals in a match with each of them assisted by the same player.

    Mason will have plenty to think about as he prepares to boss a team in a Premier League game for the first time, a situation he had not seen coming and described as "crazy".

    The man who joined Tottenham's academy as an eight-year-old, going on to reach first-team level and England selection, is determined to take the change of circumstances in his stride.

    "It's football," he said. "Anything can happen. You just have to be ready for what football can throw at you at times."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.