MLB

Limited fans to attend NLCS and MLB World Series

By Sports Desk September 30, 2020

MLB has announced a limited number of spectators will be able to attend the National League Championship Series (NLCS) and World series at Globe Life Field in Texas.

The 2020 MLB season has been played behind closed doors without fans in the United States amid the coronavirus pandemic.

However, 11,500 tickets will be available for each game, with 10,550 fans spread throughout the ballpark and 950 in suites, starting in Game 1 of the NLCS on October 12 – in conjunction with the Texas Rangers, who opened their new $1.2billion stadium this season.

The 116th World Series will get underway at Globe Life Field on October 20 – the first neutral site for MLB's showpiece in modern baseball history.

"I feel like a 10-year-old boy coming down the stars Christmas morning, and they've got all of the presents wrapped up, and I can't open a present," Rangers owner Ray Davis said.

"That's the way I felt about our stadium this year. And that's why, frankly, I'm excited about having the [NL] Division Series and League Championship and World Series here in our stadium."

"To see fans in our ballpark is going to be very exciting," said Rangers executive vice-president for business operations Rob Matwick.

"This is what we have been pointing for since we started the construction back four years ago. To see it come to fruition is pretty significant. Not necessarily the circumstances we hoped to have – we hoped to have the Rangers on the field – but it will be exciting to see fans come into Globe Life Field in the fall of 2020."

Related items

  • Barcelona to save €122m after players agree to wage cut Barcelona to save €122m after players agree to wage cut

    Barcelona have reached an agreement in principle with their players over a wage cut that will save them €122million.

    The LaLiga giants were seeking to reduce their wage bill amid financial problems due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    In a statement on Friday, Barcelona confirmed they had reached an agreement in principle with their players.

    Along with the €122m in savings, they also said variable payments of about €50m had been deferred over a three-year period.

    "The agreement, if it is ratified, will be a milestone of great importance to redirect the current economic situation," the club said.

    The agreement is pending ratification in the coming days by the players and coaches affected.

    Barca are believed to have one of the highest wage bills in Europe, and the likes of Luis Suarez, Ivan Rakitic and Arturo Vidal left the club in the close season.

    Ronald Koeman's side are struggling in 13th in LaLiga ahead of hosting Osasuna on Sunday.

  • F1 2020: Red Bull sporting director to miss Bahrain Grand Prix with coronavirus F1 2020: Red Bull sporting director to miss Bahrain Grand Prix with coronavirus

    Red Bull must cope without sporting director Jonathan Wheatley for this weekend's Bahrain Grand Prix after he tested positive for COVID-19.

    The 53-year-old Briton has not travelled to Bahrain and has begun a 10-day period in isolation.

    Red Bull sit second in the constructors' championship this season, with Max Verstappen accounting for 170 of their 240 points and Alexander Albon contributing the rest.

    Wheatley joined Red Bull from Renault in 2006 and has been a pivotal figure in the team's rise.

    It remains to be seen whether he can return for next week's Ssakhir Grand Prix, which also takes place in Bahrain.

    Red Bull said in a statement: "We can confirm that during mandatory pre-race testing in the UK, sporting director Jonathan Wheatley tested positive for COVID-19.

    "In accordance with official protocols he will continue to isolate for the 10-day period and not attend the Bahrain GP.

    "Jonathan's duties will be shared by a number of team personnel at this weekend's Bahrain GP.

    "The positive test has not resulted in any other team members needing to isolate following contact tracing and will not affect the team's trackside operations."

  • Braves bolster rotation with signing of former pitcher Morton Braves bolster rotation with signing of former pitcher Morton

    The Atlanta Braves signed right-handed pitcher and free agent Charlie Morton following his exploits during the Tampa Bay Rays' run to the MLB World Series.

    Morton returns to the Braves on a one-year, $15million deal, having been drafted by Atlanta in 2002, while he debuted in 2008 before leaving the following year.

    The two-time All-Star played a key role as Tampa Bay reached the World Series for the first time in 12 years in the shortened season amid the coronavirus pandemic.

    Tampa Bay turned down a $15m club option as Morton opted to reunite with the Braves, who fell to eventual champions the Los Angeles Dodgers in the National League Championship Series (NLCS).

    A World Series winner with the Houston Astros in 2017, Morton tallied 42 strikeouts and an ERA of 4.74 in nine regular-season appearances in 2020.

    The 37-year-old stepped up in the playoffs, with 23 strikeouts and a 2.70 ERA in four games, while he had a 3-1 win-loss record.

    Morton also became the only pitcher in MLB history with four winner-take-all victories after pitching 5.2 scoreless innings as the Rays prevailed in the American League Championship Series (ALCS).

    "We saw him trending back to where he was in 2019," Braves president of baseball operations Alex Anthopoulos said. "In September and into the postseason, his stuff was back to where it was in 2019."

    After debuting for the Braves 12 years ago, Morton was traded to the Pittsburgh Pirates in 2009 and he spent seven seasons at the NL franchise.

    A brief spell with the Philadelphia Phillies followed before moving to the Astros and then the Rays in 2019.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.