Dwayne Walker finds redemption at 2020 IFBB Tampa Pro after 2019 disappointment

By August 03, 2020

Jamaican bodybuilder Dwayne Walker is as pleased as punch following his debut performance in the Open Class at the IFBB Tampa Pro tournament this past weekend.

Walker, who did not place in the 212 Class at the same competition last year, placed an impressive third in the Open Class having moved up in weight over the past year. Hunter Labrada took the title while Iain Valliere finished second.

The top-three placing that came after most of the season was cancelled because of the COVID-19 pandemic, filled the giant Jamaican with a sense of accomplishment.

“I am very much satisfied with the package I brought. I feel accomplished with my performance and I did exactly what I wanted to do which was to improve the weak parts of my body, be as competitive as possible, make an impact and get my name out there and that is exactly what I got to execute,” said a euphoric Walker who spoke with Sportsmax.TV on Monday.

“I am now getting some traction from my performance and my physical appearance and conduct on stage, so everything worked out in my favour and I am very satisfied with the improvements I have made. I am happy that people have recognized my effort and that I brought a very complete package this year.”

The performance was also the positive outcome from a change of strategy by the 2018 Mr Olympia Amateur winner and Master Trainer Loleta of the BBL Gymnasium in Florida following his debut season in 2019.

“Last year, I did the 212 division because I turned pro in 2018 and I didn’t want to take the year off from competing. Most persons would advise you to take a year off to grow and develop and then you go back and compete as a pro. I didn’t want to do that,” Walker explained.

“I love competing. I couldn’t see myself taking an entire year off from competing so I decided to compete nonetheless. So, because there was a division in the pro league called the 212 for bodybuilders, being that I am not the biggest bodybuilder there is, it was considered that I would be more competitive doing the 212 Class. So what we did in my rookie season.”

It was a year of mixed results.

“I did Indi Pro, I came sixth. I did New York, I came 10th, and in Puerto Rico, I came third. I did Tampa and I think I came 16th,” Walker recalled, adding that they eventually discovered that doing the 212 was perhaps, not the best decision.

“We realised that doing the 212 was also doing me injustice because I had to do a lot of depletion and fasting to make the weight class. It was very challenging to make the weight so for my second year we decided to train as hard as possible, do the necessary dieting to get my weight up so I could compete in the Open Class and see how competitive I can be there.

“Also, while preparing for the Open Class we took the critique from (the judges) at 212 and implemented the necessary training regimen to correct those weaknesses and lagging body parts. So went to work keeping in mind to do the Indy Pro in the Open Class, however, the pandemic happened and the quarantine and all that. It threw off everything. Shows got cancelled so I ended up doing my first show for 2020 which was my ending show for 2019, the Tampa Pro.”

Loleta was extremely proud of Walker’s showing in Tampa and said as much on her Instagram account on Monday.

“@ifbbpro_big.general hasn’t stopped climbing since he joined our team in 2018,” she said.

She explained that when Dwayne was in the lower 212 Class, they learned a lot from the judges whenever he competed.

“The common critique was the weakness in his legs so, after vigorous hard-core training which resulted in more leg development and in an increase in body weight, it became challenging as a 212 competitor,” she said.

“Last year at the Tampa Pro, in order to make weight he had to fast and drastically pull water which resulted in him stepping on stage flat and not placing and that is when we decided that the 212 was history.

“With one solid year of building, he was able to step on the exact stage this weekend with the big boys in the Open Class and take the third-place position with the best conditioning on that stage. Your team is extremely proud of your achievement and excited to see you embark on this journey, which we have no doubt will land you on the Olympia stage one day.”

 

 

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • Battle for respect a never-ending fight for female gamers Battle for respect a never-ending fight for female gamers

    I love it when everybody wins. But, I really love seeing women win more.

    Elaine Thompson-Herah rediscovered her best form, after a tough three years battling injury, and captured our attention with a stunning performance last week, after winning the women's 100m race at the IAAF Diamond League meet in Rome.

    After the race, the double Olympic champion explained that the changes to the track season because of the COVID-19 pandemic has posed plenty of challenges. Nevertheless, she motivated herself and dug deep to find her best.  And I respect that.  We should all respect that.

    Female competitive gamers would love some of that kind of respect, but for them, it is a hard to find commodity. Their work environment is full of challenges, yet they often overcome numerous obstacles to achieve their goals regardless.

    Chiefly, male gamers often devalue their female counterparts. Competitive gamer Sashaun Bailey knows all about that.

    While playing Call of Duty mobile, male gamers assume Sashaun plays it for attention or she isn’t the one actually playing. Either way, they try to make her feel less than a ‘real gamer’.  It’s a common practice by male gamers, especially if women are playing on a smartphone. 

    Although the gaming world can be is a hotspot for harassment, for everybody, women often feel it more. Studies show that a female’s voice in the ‘Halo 3’ game is three times more likely to get negative comments than a male voice, regardless of performance. Sashaun can attest to that because once male players hear her voice, they instantly start firing nasty and rude comments in her direction.

    “I’ve gotten some pretty bad comments. I’ve gotten disgusting stuff, the racist stuff. I’ve been called the ‘N’ word... the ‘go in the kitchen and make me a sandwich comments'," she explained.

    In the gaming community, the abuse and derogatory comments directed at female players is called ‘flaming’.  But Sashaun has her way of dealing with it.

    “A lot of these guys try to distract me with their comments and their rude conversations, but I just stay focused and kill them. If I can’t, I mute the whole thing, so I won’t hear anybody.” 

    Sashaun isn’t alone in adopting that strategy. In most cases, female players conceal their identity to avoid harassment. According to Audrey L. Brehm(2013) research paper, Navigating the feminine in massively multiplayer online games: gender in World of Warcraft, many participants in ‘World of Warcraft’ pretend they have a malfunctioning mic to avoid participating in voice chat during a game.

    At the same time, when she’s not masking femininity, she’s embracing it.

    Sashaun admits to being a bit of a tomboy but she knows competitive gaming is a male-dominated sport and so, the majority of her views from live streams are from men.

    Knowing that fact often drives an effort to make their videos as appealing as possible for female gamers. Especially because viewers can donate money if they like what they see.

    “A lot of girls use their femininity as an advantage in different ways. For me, I like to keep things simple by exercising/staying in shape because naturally, people want to see a good-looking girl play games - especially if she’s really good.”

     Her video content ranges from playing games while lounging to dancing in tights. One viewer from Sashaun’s live stream opined, “it's less about the game and more about seeing the girls.”

    Winning for many female gamers looks like just like this: in the end, it comes down to redeeming feminine qualities that face ridiculously unfair scrutiny on a daily basis.

    However, there are growing concerns that female gamers oversexualising their content, and that it can influence how the gaming community sees women in general.

     

    Please share your thoughts on Twitter (@SportsMax_Carib) or in the comments section on Facebook (@SportsMax). Don’t forget to use #IAmNotAFan. Until next time!

     

     

  • 'A lack of respect and regard for stakeholders' - KSAFA demands resignation of JFF Technical Chairman Speid 'A lack of respect and regard for stakeholders' - KSAFA demands resignation of JFF Technical Chairman Speid

    The Kingston and St Andrew Football Association (KSAFA) has called on JFF Technical Chairman, Rudolph Speid, to resign from the post, citing what they deem to be multiple conflicts of interest.

    Speid was appointed to the post earlier this year, but KSAFA has pointed to several other post appointments that he also holds at the same time as problematic.

    “Currently you are a member of the Board of Directors for the JFF, Chairman of the Technical Committee, leads the operations of the JFF’s Coaching School, Chairman of the newly formed Jamaica Coaches Association, member of the Leadership of the Jamaica National Premier League (JNPL) and owner / major

    shareholder in Cavaliers Soccer Club.  This long list of involvement consists of clear lines of conflict of interest,” the letter stated.

    The letter went on to point out that, as it relates to Jamaican football, the conflicts have caused an inability to view ‘important policy matters objectively’ and also took umbrage to what has been deemed a ‘lack of respect and

    regard for stakeholders.’ The body has promised to escalate the matter to the Jamaica Football Federation if Speid refused to accede to the request.

  • ISSA tasks coaches with saving 2021 Champs ISSA tasks coaches with saving 2021 Champs

    Jamaica’s Inter-secondary Schools Sports Association (ISSA) has sought consensus and some direction from high school coaches regarding the possibility of staging the popular Boys and Girls Championship next year.

    The event, which is typically staged in the month of March, was cancelled this year due to the credible threat of being a coronavirus super spreader event.  Since then, ISSA has announced the suspension of all school competitions scheduled for the Christmas term.

    With no creditable solutions coming to the fore as yet regarding the best possible ways to returning to the staging of high school sports, amidst the pandemic, concerns had been raised regarding the protentional of next year’s event being cancelled as well.

    In a letter issued to the coaches, ISSA was quick to point out that the December term cancellations had no impact on next year’s event.  But, in light of the need to satisfy restrictive COVID-19 protocols for staging the event, the body also pointed out that creative solutions were needed in order to host the competition.

    “ISSA has cancelled all ISSA competitions scheduled for the 2020 Christmas term.  This decision, however, does not have any impact on the staging of the 2021 ISSA/GraceKennedy Boys and Girls Championships,” the letter read.

    “However, the national COVID-19 protocols dictate that if Champs 2021 is to be a reality, then adjustments have to be made to the general structure and scheduling of the meet.  These changes could possibly have implications for the number of athletes, classes, events and days of Champs 2021,” it continued.

    “We, therefore, invite each group of regional coaches (as per Regional Meets, Western, Central, Eastern, Corporate) to meet virtually amongst themselves and discuss possible suggestions as to what the 2021 ISSA/GraceKennedy Champs may look like in the context of COVID-19.  It is expected that from the regional discussions, coaches will submit their suggestions via an appointed team leader by email.”

    The coaches will have until October 2, to submit their suggestions.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.