Sergio Perez out of British Grand Prix after positive coronavirus test

By Sports Desk July 30, 2020

Racing Point diver Sergio Perez will play no part in this weekend's British Grand Prix after testing positive for coronavirus.

The 30-year-old had earlier returned an inconclusive COVID-19 test and was absent from the Silverstone paddock on Thursday in line with precautionary measures.

The test has now come back positive and Perez, sixth in the drivers' standings after three rounds, will self-isolate along with a small group of Racing Point team members.

Perez is the first driver to test positive since the delayed 2020 season began earlier this month.

A statement from Formula One read: "With assistance of the local organiser of the British Grand Prix, local health authorities and the FIA COVID-19 delegate, a full track and trace initiative has been undertaken and all close contacts have been quarantined.

"The procedures set out by the FIA and Formula One have provided for swift containment of an incident that will have no wider impact on this weekend's event."

Racing Point confirmed they still intend to enter two cars this weekend, with either of their reserve drivers Stoffel Vandoorne or Esteban Gutierrez – a duo they share with the factory team of engine supplier Mercedes for testing duties – expected to step in.

"Sergio is physically well and in good spirits, but he will continue to self-isolate under the guidelines of the relevant public health authorities, with safety the ultimate priority for the team and the sport," the Silverstone-based team said.

"The entire team wishes Sergio well and looks forward to welcoming him back into the cockpit of the RP20 soon.

"Our intention is to race two cars on Sunday. We will communicate the next steps for our British Grand Prix weekend in due course."

Related items

  • Russell predicts Williams resurgence as F1 stars gear up for Bahrain Russell predicts Williams resurgence as F1 stars gear up for Bahrain

    George Russell hopes Williams can make a flying start to the Formula One season in Bahrain - but he believes Mercedes are the only team who will be sure they are race-ready.

    British driver Russell caught the eye when he replaced Lewis Hamilton at Mercedes for one race last year, after the world champion tested positive for COVID-19 and missed the Sakhir Grand Prix.

    He went close to winning that race until a pit-stop error and a puncture late on cost him a probable victory, and he then returned to his regular drive at Williams.

    Mercedes have assured Russell, who is part of their junior driver programme, that he can have a racing future with them if his development continues as expected.

    That could come as soon as next year, but for now Russell's focus is on delivering for Williams.

    The team has been in transition following the takeover by Dorilton Capital, and German motorsport veteran Jost Capito was appointed chief executive officer during the close season.

    Russell believes Williams, who failed to score a point last season, should be better placed in 2021 to at least improve on that disappointing outcome.

    "We want, the bare minimum, to be fighting with the Haas and the Alfas, as we did last year, and closing the gap to that midfield," Williams said.

    "We made nine out of 17 Q2 appearances and that is definitely a thrill. That's got to be almost an aim every weekend for myself and team."

    The season begins in Bahrain on March 28, and by then there should be evidence of which teams have made progress since 2020, with testing taking place, also in Bahrain, on the March 12-14 long weekend.

    Russell admits it is a waiting game to see how rivals have advanced, or regressed.

    "Fingers crossed that they go backwards and we go forwards," he said, in an Instagram chat on Formula One's official page. 

    "Ultimately, we may go to Bahrain and see every other team has progressed more than us.

    "We may go there and see we've made great progress. Until we get to Bahrain not a single team, probably bar Mercedes, can tell you how they're going to perform."

    Russell, 23, has been tipped for a big future in the sport. He also believes Williams, a great name from the history of Formula One, can begin a journey back to the top of the sport.

    "The arrival of Jost is massive for the team, really exciting," he said. "The future for Williams and everybody here at Grove [the team's headquarters] is really great.

    "Unfortunately, things don't change in a matter of moments in Formula One, but the building blocks are really getting set in stone.

    "Jost has loads of experience, he's a great character, and I think he's going to bring a lot of motivation to the team."

    Russell was speaking on the day F1 chiefs confirmed the Portuguese Grand Prix on the new season's calendar, with the race inked in for May 2.

    It will be the second round of 23 in the championship, with Portugal having returned to the Formula One rota last year for the first time since 1996.

  • Russell relaxed over potential Mercedes move: What comes in the future will come Russell relaxed over potential Mercedes move: What comes in the future will come

    George Russell has no intention of "hassling" Mercedes over his future as he focuses on trying to get the most out of a new-look Williams car in 2021.  

    The British driver is heading into the final year of his contract with Williams, where he will once again work alongside Nicholas Latifi for the season.  

    It will be a third year for Russell with the team, though he did step in to drive for Mercedes - having previously been part of their junior driver programme - at the 2020 Sakhir Grand Prix, replacing Lewis Hamilton after the seven-time world champion tested positive for COVID-19. 

    His performance in the race - he was in front for the majority before a slow puncture forced him to settle for ninth place - led to speculation over a permanent switch, but Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas have remained together.  

    While a move could still happen at some stage further down the line, Russell is relaxed over his standing within Mercedes.  

    "Mercedes and Toto have always had my back and believed in me from day one. When they believe the time is right, the time will be right," he told Sky Sports at the launch of Williams' FW43B car.  

    "I'm not hassling them, I’m just going out there and doing my job on the track. What comes in the future will come.  

    "Obviously I had a great opportunity in Bahrain last year, but for now we will focus on the job here at Williams for this season and trying to get the most out of it."

    In a somewhat surprising move, Hamilton only agreed to a one-year extension earlier this year, committing him to a ninth season with Mercedes.

    Bottas' deal runs "at last until the end of 2021", per the team's statement when the Finn's future was revealed last August, so Russell could potentially be considered to replace either driver in 2022.

    "Every driver wants to put themselves against the best," he said when asked if forming a partnership with Hamilton appealed to him.

    "I believe in myself and Lewis is the benchmark at the moment, but equally you have a lot of fantastic drivers out there who might not have the same CV as Lewis.  

    "Max [Verstappen], Charles [Leclerc], Lewis – they are all on the same level. Putting yourself against one of those three would be great for any driver."

    Williams - now owned by Dorilton Capital - unveiled a new blue, white and yellow livery on Friday that takes inspiration from the team's successful cars in the 1980s and 1990s.

  • Vettel sees 'potential' at Aston Martin Vettel sees 'potential' at Aston Martin


    Sebastian Vettel is excited to get the 2021 Formula One season underway with Aston Martin, with the former world champion seeing plenty of potential at his new team.

    Vettel, a four-time F1 champion, left Ferrari at the end of the 2020 campaign, bringing an end to a six-season stint with the Italian manufacturers.

    Charles Leclerc had usurped him as Ferrari's number one driver, and Vettel slumped to a 13th-placed finish in last year's drivers' standings, claiming just one podium finish.

    Vettel has now switched to Aston Martin, who have rebranded the Racing Point team to make their F1 return after a 61-year break from the competition. 

    The German made no secret of his disappointment at how his final season at Ferrari panned out but is anticipating an exciting debut year with Aston Martin.

    "I am not happy with last year in terms of performance – partly my performance – but I accepted it," said Vettel at the unveiling of the AMR21 car on Wednesday, which also featured NFL great Tom Brady and Hollywood star Daniel Craig.

    "There are things that didn't go well, but I am looking forward to this year.

    "I go racing to win and obviously it's a very exciting project, a new start and a new chapter for the entire team. I'm very much looking forward to it.

    "Winning is maybe a bit ambitious straight away, but it's everybody's goal, it's why we go racing.

    "Even though I have raced for four Formula One teams and for many years, starting a new season with a new team still gives me a sense of excitement.

    "I see potential. I think the team has always been very successful in the past with limited resources, now the regulations in F1 are changing, and with the new launch of Aston Martin coming back, a lot of talented people joining and coming together to this already good group already, I think it's [his arrival is] only an addition.

    "So I hope that I can contribute as well, and I think if we keep sharing that joy and passion then good things will follow."

    Vettel's Ferrari future was decided before the 2020 season – which was derailed due to the COVID-19 pandemic – had started, yet he claims to have had no doubt that Aston Martin was the right move. 

    "As a driver, I have always kept my eye on the competition and this team has consistently impressed me with what they have been able to do without the biggest of budgets," he added.

    "So, when Lawrence [Stroll] and Otmar [Szafnauer] approached me last year, and explained what their ambitions were, I was immediately very motivated to join the team.
     
    "I love the history of motor racing and Aston Martin is one of the great names of the past, so it is fun to be part of their return to Formula One after an absence of 61 years.  
     
    "I have not driven the car yet but I think it looks great. I am really looking forward to getting it out on the track. I am also looking forward to working with and getting to know better everyone in the team, including my team-mate Lance [Stroll]. We will certainly make a big effort to deliver some good results together and have fun doing it."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.