Coronavirus: FA announces 82 redundancies as it braces for loss of £300m

By Sports Desk June 29, 2020

The Football Association (FA) says it will make 82 people redundant as the governing body braces for approximate losses of £300million caused by the coronavirus pandemic.

While COVID-19 brought mass disruption to sport across the world, it also caused many other industries to come to a standstill, and the FA has been impacted by more than just the three-month suspension of football.

All events due to be held at Wembley Stadium since March have been unable to go ahead, while all future bookings for the year – which include concerts and NFL matches – had to be scrapped.

Hospitality revenue for Wembley Stadium brings in an estimated £35m to the FA every year, but the not-for-profit organisation considers that figure to have "completely fallen away and will probably take years to recover".

The financial implications of the pandemic have forced the FA to analyse all areas of the business for cost-saving purposes, but CEO Mark Bullingham revealed the situation worsened to an extent where staff need to be cut.

In a statement published to the FA's website, Bullingham wrote: "The high level of uncertainty in our landscape means that we have had to plan for a whole range of potential scenarios. As previously communicated, we are currently planning for potential losses of approximately £300million. As a not-for-profit organisation, this will hit us hard.

"Therefore, over recent months, we have forensically analysed the budget of every division within The FA in order to identify the most suitable areas to make costs savings; and the situation has worsened to a point where we now need to reduce the size of The FA in order to deal with the financial impact of the crisis.

"We are proposing to make 124 positions redundant. Because we halted recruitment the day we left the offices in March, we are able to take 42 vacant positions out of the structure, which means that we are proposing to remove 82 roles from the organisation.

"Proposing redundancies is the toughest cost-saving measure that any organisation can consider implementing, but we believe that we must now adapt and future-proof the organisation to ensure our cost base reflects a future with significantly lower revenues.

"We have a responsibility to preserve our core functions that regulate and serve English football. We also have a duty to support our men's and women's senior teams in their efforts to win major tournaments.

"That means we have set out in our proposals some difficult choices because we do not think we can afford to do all the things that we did before. We believe the impact of this crisis is to force us to focus more than ever on our key priorities."

Related items

  • Inter chief Marotta confirms Sanchez deal Inter chief Marotta confirms Sanchez deal

    Alexis Sanchez will officially become an Inter player on a permanent basis on Thursday, according to the club's chief executive Giuseppe Marotta.

    Sanchez has spent 2019-20 on loan at Inter from Manchester United, scoring four goals and providing eight assists across 22 Serie A appearances as Antonio Conte's side finished second behind Juventus.

    Reports emerged this week suggesting United would terminate the Chilean's contract at Old Trafford, which was believed to be worth £500,000 per week.

    These claims were confirmed on Wednesday, with Marotta revealing the 31-year-old had agreed a three-year deal with Inter.

    "Unofficially - we'll make it official tomorrow morning - the player is entirely owned by Inter," he told Sky Italia ahead of Inter's Europa League clash with Getafe in Germany.

    "We have a contract with him for three seasons. We believe in him, that he can be a strong part of this squad, and are happy to have concluded this deal."

    Sanchez was named on the bench against Getafe for what had been set to be the final match of his loan spell.

    The forward has enjoyed a resurgence in Italy following a desperate 18-month stint at Old Trafford.

    After staring for Arsenal, January 2018 signing Sanchez failed to impress for United and scored just five goals in all competitions.

    News of Sanchez's signing comes after head coach Conte hit out at Inter's hierarchy for not protecting his squad enough this season.

    However, Marotta revealed Inter's chiefs have held discussions with Conte amid doubts over his future.

    "We are all concentrated on this evening, which is an important match," he added. "Conte gave a very clear statement yesterday and we refer you to that.

    "Anyone in the football world knows that these dynamics exist and we have to live with this way of doing things. This is an important evening for the future of Inter.

    "The owners spoke to Conte yesterday and we all want the same thing, which is to achieve great objectives and make the fans happy."

  • Man City sign Bournemouth defender Ake Man City sign Bournemouth defender Ake

    Manchester City have completed the signing of Nathan Ake from Bournemouth for a reported fee of £41million.

    Pep Guardiola has been searching for another option at centre-back since Vincent Kompany's departure in May 2019.

    Aymeric Laporte endured injury issues in the 2019-20 campaign, though the Frenchman was a regular following the restart of the Premier League season in June, while doubts remain over the futures of John Stones and Nicolas Otamendi.

    Youngster Eric Garcia put in some impressive displays, but City – who have also been linked with Napoli's Kalidou Koulibaly – have now moved to bolster their defensive ranks by bringing in Ake.

    The Netherlands international, who Bournemouth signed permanently from Chelsea for £20m in 2017, has signed a five-year contract at the Etihad Stadium.

    "City have been the best side in England over the course of the last decade," Ake told his new club's website.

    "Coming here is a dream for me. This is a top side full of world-class players. Everywhere you look in this squad there are big names with international pedigree.

    "Pep is a manager admired across the world - what he's done in the game speaks for itself. The success he's had is unbelievable and the style of football he plays really appeals to me.

    "I know I'm going to have to work hard to get into the side, but that's what I'm here to do. I'll do whatever I can to make an impact and help the team win silverware."

    After featuring in every Premier League match for the Cherries in 2017-18 and 2018-19, injuries restricted Ake to 29 league appearances as Eddie Howe's side dropped out of the top flight.

    The 25-year-old becomes City's second signing since the conclusion of the Premier League season, quickly following on from Tuesday's announcement of Ferran Torres' arrival from Valencia.

    A Spain Under-21 international who scored four goals and provided five assists in 34 LaLiga appearances, Torres is also on a deal that runs through until 2025.

  • BREAKING NEWS: Inter chief Marotta confirms Sanchez deal BREAKING NEWS: Inter chief Marotta confirms Sanchez deal

    Alexis Sanchez will officially become an Inter player on a permanent basis on Thursday, according to the club's chief executive Giuseppe Marotta.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.