Championship: Mixed fortunes for play-off hopefuls

By Sports Desk June 28, 2020

Nottingham Forest strengthened their grip on a Championship play-off place with a 3-1 win over relegation-threatened Huddersfield Town on Sunday.

A double from Lewis Grabban either side of half-time effectively secured a victory that moved Forest up to fourth, seven points clear of seventh-placed Preston and North End.

Ryan Yates added a third five minutes from time, and Huddersfield were reduced to 10 men when Juninho Bacuna was sent off four minutes later.

After Joe Worrall fouled Fraizer Campbell in the box, Karlan Grant scored a 97th-minute consolation from the penalty spot for Danny Cowley's side.

Huddersfield are level with Hull City on 42 points but are in the bottom three on goal difference.

Bristol City's play-off hopes were dealt a blow with a 2-1 defeat to Sheffield Wednesday, who took command through Connor Wickham and Massimo Luongo before Nahki Wells pulled one back.

The Robins are five points adrift of a play-off place.

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: New Tottenham boss to decide on Bale move Rumour Has It: New Tottenham boss to decide on Bale move

    Gareth Bale's future is uncertain as his loan spell at Tottenham from Real Madrid draws to an end.

    Bale has said he intends to return to Madrid for the final year of his contract.

    Spurs' interest in keeping the Wales star beyond this season is not clear as they are in the market for a new head coach after Jose Mourinho's dismissal.

     

    TOP STORY – NEW SPURS BOSS TO DECIDE ON BALE

    The Daily Mail reports that Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy will let the club's new head coach decide whether or not to re-sign Bale.

    The option remains for a second loan deal for the Welshman to re-join Spurs from Madrid next season.

    Spurs have first option on a second loan but they would require Bale's agreement, although he appears out of favour in Madrid.

    Triggering the clause will cost Tottenham £12million.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - Borussia Dortmund's asking price for Jadon Sancho is down to £87m (€100m) according to ESPN, which may interest Manchester United and Liverpool. Dortmund previously demanded more than £100m (€115m) for the England midfielder.

    - Arsenal are interested in signing Rangers midfielder Glen Kamara, with a five-year deal on the table, according to Football Insider.

    - The Athletic claims Brentford striker Ivan Toney is drawing interest from Leicester City and Everton as well as a "host of clubs" preparing bids for his services.

    - Newcastle United are considering a move for Vitesse defender Danilho Doekhi, reports De Telegraaf.

    - Bayer Leverkusen are in the mix to sign Santos' teenage forward Kaio Jorge, claims Kicker.

  • Man Utd expose extent of abuse ahead of social media boycott Man Utd expose extent of abuse ahead of social media boycott

    Manchester United have exposed the stark levels of abuse aimed at their players ahead of a four-day social media boycott.

    Football clubs and players all over England will be joined in the action, which runs from 1500 BST on Friday until 2359 BST on Monday, by UEFA and major bodies across cricket, rugby union, tennis, rugby league and other sports.

    The move follows an increase in online abuse aimed at sportspeople, with United's research offering a glimpse at how bad the problem is.

    United revealed a 350 per cent increase in abuse directed towards their players since September 2019, with 86 per cent of 3,300 abusive posts categorised as being racist in nature.

    A further eight per cent were deemed homophobic or transphobic.

    "It must be said that while these numbers are shocking, they do only represent a 0.01 per cent of conversations that take place on social media about the club and the players," said group managing director Richard Arnold.

    "By taking part in this boycott this weekend, we, alongside the rest of English football, want to shine a light on the issue. It will generate debate and discussion and will raise awareness of the levels of abuse our players and our fans receive."

    An announcement of the boycott came jointly last Saturday from numerous organisations in football, including the Premier League, the English Football League, the Football Association, the Professional Footballers' Association, the Women’s Super League and the Women’s Championship.

    "While some progress has been made, we reiterate those requests today in an effort to stem the relentless flow of discriminatory messages and ensure that there are real-life consequences for purveyors of online abuse across all platforms," the groups said in a release.

    "Boycott action from football in isolation will, of course, not eradicate the scourge of online discriminatory abuse, but it will demonstrate that the game is willing to take voluntary and proactive steps in this continued fight."

    Since that statement was released, other bodies have declared they will join the boycott from across various sports, with cycling, horseracing and hockey also on board.

    Football's European governing body, UEFA, also pledged its support in a strongly worded statement from president Aleksander Ceferin on Thursday.

    "We've had enough of these cowards who hide behind their anonymity to spew out their noxious ideologies," he said.

    The move instigated by England's footballing bodies follows them sending a letter to social media companies in February, urging them to take numerous steps to take down online abuse, including quick removal of offensive posts and an improved verification process.

    Some within the game have already taken individual action to protest, with Thierry Henry withdrawing from all social media platforms until the issue is appropriately addressed.

    Henry's stance came after a spate of incidents of vile abuse being aimed at sportspeople online.

    Chelsea put out a statement in January after Reece James was targeted, saying: "Something needs to change and it needs to change now."

    Manchester United duo Anthony Martial and Axel Tuanzebe were also racially abused online after the side's loss to Sheffield United, with manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer calling for stronger intervention from social media platforms.

  • English football clubs and players to boycott social media over online abuse English football clubs and players to boycott social media over online abuse

    Football clubs and players across England will go silent on social media next weekend in response to "ongoing and sustained abuse" players and others connected with the game are subjected to online. 

    Teams from the top men's and women's leagues in England will not post to their social media accounts from the afternoon of April 30 through the end of May 3, London time, and players are expected to follow suit. 

    An announcement of the boycott came jointly on Saturday from numerous organisations involved in the game, including the Professional Footballers' Association, the Premier League, the Football League, The FA, the Women’s Super League and the Women’s Championship. 

    The move follows a February letter to social media companies urging them to take numerous steps to take down online abuse, including quick removal of offensive posts and an improved verification process. 

    "While some progress has been made, we reiterate those requests today in an effort to stem the relentless flow of discriminatory messages and ensure that there are real-life consequences for purveyors of online abuse across all platforms," the groups said in a release.

    "Boycott action from football in isolation will, of course, not eradicate the scourge of online discriminatory abuse, but it will demonstrate that the game is willing to take voluntary and proactive steps in this continued fight."

    The boycott comes on the heels of the popular uprising that led to the collapse of the European Super League earlier this week, and players speaking after Saturday's Premier League games said a move to curb online harassment is overdue.

    "The players, we get a lot of abuses online, and it is not normal, we need to fight it, and I think that is a good way to do it," Brighton's Neal Maupay told Sky Sports. 

    "It's definitely getting worse. People are crossing the line too many times now, too often, so we need to carry on fighting it and at one point we will get rid of it."

     

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.