Coronavirus: Rugby Australia and Reds release trio from contracts

By Sports Desk May 22, 2020

Rugby Australia (RA) and the Reds have released Izack Rodda, Isaac Lucas and Harry Hockings from their contracts following a pay dispute.

The Reds trio were stood down by the Super Rugby team on Monday after refusing a pay reduction and their nomination for the Australian federal government's JobKeeper subsidy amid the coronavirus pandemic.

It came after RA and the Rugby Union Players' Association (RUPA) reached an agreement on a new pay deal last month, with Super Rugby on hiatus due to COVID-19.

On Friday, the trio's management announced they would seek contract termination, but the players – including 25-time Australia international Rodda – were released on Saturday.

Interim RA chief executive Rob Clarke told media: "We've formed the view that they've made their decision and if they wish to go overseas, then that's their decision. There's no avenue open to them in Australia at this time.

"We all have to face the consequences of our decisions in life - I'm not going to speak on behalf of those players, they can speak themselves.

"My job is to protect the game and Jonno's [director of rugby Scott Johnson] job is to protect the game and to build a foundation for the future and that's what all our energy right this moment is going towards."

Clarke added: "We possibly could have [taken legal action], but on balance we thought this was the most prudent course of action as to release these players given their stated intentions, and we believe taking everything into account, that was the appropriate course of action.

"Going to court is always the last resort and it's a brutal ending to any conflict, so you would always like to mediate and conciliate along the way to get an outcome that suits both parties, in case we haven't been able to. We're very disappointed because those players were part of how we saw the future, but they have they rights and they're entitled to do what they've done."

Queensland Rugby Union (QRU) CEO David Hanham said: "A decision has been made today. Our focus and attention is on the players, staff and rugby community who have committed to our program and our team."

Related items

  • Coronavirus: Serie A to allow five substitutions Coronavirus: Serie A to allow five substitutions

    Serie A will allow teams to make five substitutions during games for the remainder of the 2019-20 campaign.

    It brings Italy's top flight into line with a temporary law amendment announced by the International Football Association Board (IFAB) last month.

    World football's pre-eminent rule-making body made the alterations as a means to ease the strain on players returning to action following the extended coronavirus hiatus.

    If a team wishes to make all five changes, they must come in no more than three match interruptions, aside from half-time.

    Serie A is set to resume on June 20, more than three months after the league was suspended due to the COVID-19 outbreak.

  • England prop Marler signs new Quins deal England prop Marler signs new Quins deal

    England prop Joe Marler has signed a new long-term contract with Premiership club Harlequins.

    The 29-year-old has made over 200 appearances for Quins since making his debut in 2009 and there should be many more to come.

    One-club man Marler has earned 71 England caps and toured New Zealand with the British and Irish Lions three years ago after making his presence felt at The Stoop before he was a teenager.

    Marler said: "I am a Harlequin, and I love the club. Growing up with Harlequins as my boyhood team.

    "I remember getting thrown out of The Stoop as a fan when I was 12 because I had tried to run on the pitch. Now I get the chance to continue my journey with great friends, team-mates, coaches, and fans, without getting thrown out... yet!

    "I'm immensely proud to have played for Quins over 200 times so far, I even managed to convince one of the previous bosses [Conor O'Shea] to make me captain once. 

    "Even more so during this [coronavirus] pandemic affecting every single one of us, I cannot wait for my next opportunity to pull on the jersey, run out at The Stoop and welcome back the Quins family."

    News of Marler's new deal on Friday came after it was announced that the Premiership Rugby are planning for the season to resume on August 15, five months after it was suspended due to the COVID-19 crisis.

    Marler was banned for 10 weeks for grabbing Alun Wyn Jones' genitals during England's Six Nations win over Wales in March, but that suspension has now been wiped as a result of the hiatus.

  • Coronavirus: New Australia coach Rennie to take 30 per cent pay cut Coronavirus: New Australia coach Rennie to take 30 per cent pay cut

    New Australia coach Dave Rennie has volunteered to take a 30 per cent pay cut ahead of starting his job with the Wallabies next month.

    Rugby Australia (RA) reported a provisional deficit of 9.4 million Australian dollars for 2019 back in March, and the impact of the coronavirus has further impacted their finances.

    All July internationals have already been scrapped because of the ongoing pandemic and both Australia players and RA staff members have had to take significant pay cuts while the sport is on hold.

    Rennie has now followed suit with a pay cut that will last until the end of September, in line with the rest of RA's executive team.

    The 56-year-old's appointment as Australia's new coach was confirmed back in November 2019 shortly after the Rugby World Cup concluded.

    It is hoped he could be in charge for the first time in October, when international fixtures are set to return.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.