Coronavirus: Players must not repeat Hertha celebrations - Bosz

By Sports Desk May 17, 2020

Peter Bosz understood why Hertha Berlin's players celebrated in close proximity on Saturday, but the Bayer Leverkusen boss is keen not to see a repeat.

The Bundesliga returned in empty stadiums on Saturday after a two-month hiatus due to the coronavirus pandemic, with Hertha recording a 3-0 victory at Hoffenheim.

However, while precautions were taken in the games - including mask-wearing substitutes sitting significant distances apart from one another - there was no social distancing being observed when Dedryck Boyata appeared to plant a kiss on the cheek of Marko Grujic after one of the goals.

The German Football League (DFL) has confirmed it will not sanction players for celebrating, though it has offered recommended guidance on the matter, and Bosz wants players to avoid letting emotions get the better of them.

"In the beginning we talked about emotions and they are part of football," he said at his news conference to preview Leverkusen's trip to Werder Bremen on Monday.

"I can imagine that when Hertha scores at Hoffenheim, that they want to celebrate. They must not do it this way. I know that.

"Next time, I don't think they'll do it that way. But goals are emotional moments in which they may have forgotten.

"You're not allowed to do that, but I can imagine that it happens from time to time."

Bruno Labbadia, who was taking charge of his first game at the Hertha helm, had suggested that the frequency of testing meant his players should be allowed to celebrate in such a manner.

"Celebrating goals is part of football. We have been tested so often that I think you can allow it," Labbadia said.

"It would be a shame if you weren't allowed to celebrate any more.

"I hope people out there understand it. It is just a recommendation [from the DFL] to hold back.

"We have tested negative six times, most recently on Friday. Emotions are part of the game, otherwise we don't need to play it."

Related items

  • Antonio hungry for more goals after explosive return for West Ham Antonio hungry for more goals after explosive return for West Ham

    West Ham star forward and potential Jamaica international, Michail Antonio, has declared he is hungry for goals following his return to the team’s line-up on Monday.

    The burly forward returned in fine style, banging in two goals against Burnley, which gave the Hammers much-needed impetus in the race for the fourth and final Champions League spot.

    Antonio’s power upfront will no doubt give the team renewed confidence heading into the final weeks of the season, and the forward himself admits he is feeling in good shape and looking to make up for the lost time.

    "I trained with the boys all week so I was always in contention," Antonio told the club’s official website.

    "I didn't know if I'd start or not, but I did, managed to get my two goals, and should have had more,” he added.

    "I'll keep moving on to the next game and hopefully score more goals."

    Antonio did, however, miss out on the perfect opportunity to secure a hat-trick after being gifted a golden chance to make it three when a Pablo Fornals shot fell to him just yards from goal, but the striker got the ball stuck under his feet with the goal gaping.

    "It wasn't my day to get the hat-trick, but I got my two, and I can't be greedy."

  • Lautaro Martinez: I was close to joining Messi at Barcelona Lautaro Martinez: I was close to joining Messi at Barcelona

    Inter star Lautaro Martinez said he was "truly very close" to joining Lionel Messi's Barcelona before opting to remain at San Siro.

    Martinez was heavily linked with a big-money transfer to LaLiga giants Barca prior to the 2020-21 season after starring for Inter in Serie A.

    A switch to Camp Nou did not eventuate and Argentina international Martinez celebrated Inter's first Scudetto since 2009-10 last week.

    Amid growing speculation over a contract extension in Milan, Martinez revealed the coronavirus pandemic derailed a move to Barca following discussions with countryman Messi.

    "I was truly very close to joining Barcelona and I even talked it over with Messi," Martinez told ESPN Argentina.

    "However, the Blaugrana had economic problems at that moment, so I decided to stay at Inter. It proved to be the right decision, especially as we then won the Scudetto.

    "It's just incredible to win the title at such an important club."

    Martinez arrived from Racing Club in 2018 and the 23-year-old has scored 47 goals across all competitions for Inter, including 15 in 34 Serie A appearances this term.

    However, Martinez revealed Real Madrid attempted to prise him from boyhood club Racing Club before eventually joining Inter.

    "Real Madrid did come for me twice when I was in the Racing youth team, but I wanted to make my name in Argentinean football first and only made the move to Europe when I was ready," he added.

    "I do dream one day of returning to Racing. The fans are just as 'crazy' and passionate as the Inter ones."

  • Barcelona confirm injured youngster Fati to undergo another operation Barcelona confirm injured youngster Fati to undergo another operation

    Ansu Fati's injury comeback has hit another setback, with Barcelona confirming the Spain forward has had to undergo another knee operation.

    Fati suffered a serious meniscus injury in November, having scored five goals across 10 appearances for Barca across all competitions.

    He had initially been forecast to return in March, though the 18-year-old hinted in a social media post at the end of that month he may be facing a longer spell on the sidelines.

    Having failed to return to training throughout April, Fati has now gone under the knife yet again, this time for a revision arthroscopy in his left knee.

    Barca confirmed in a statement on the club's official website that the operation had been undertaken by Dr. Jose Carlos Noronha in Porto.

    The Blaugrana have offered no update on a timescale for Fati's return, though it will certainly rule the youngster out of Euro 2020, albeit his chances of making the rearranged tournament already seemed extremely remote.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.