Coronavirus: Melbourne Storm to relocate to Albury ahead of NRL return

By Sports Desk May 04, 2020

Melbourne Storm will relocate to the New South Wales border to prepare for the resumption of the NRL season.

The Storm will initially set up their training camp in the NSW border town of Albury, with the coronavirus-hit NRL campaign set to return on May 28.

COVID-19 restrictions in Victoria have forced the Storm to travel outside of the state after the NRL season was postponed through just two rounds on March 23.

The Storm, who took part in Monday's educational workshop with all 16 clubs ahead of a return to training activities on Wednesday, will train privately at the Albury Thunder rugby league ground and have sole use of an accommodation venue.

"We would like to thank the Victorian Government for the consideration they gave to having our team remain in Victoria, but ultimately we understand why that is not possible at this time," said Storm chief executive Dave Donaghy, who added the training base would be re-assessed at the end of the first week.

"We also thank the NSW Government for their support of the temporary arrangements that have been put in place for Melbourne Storm in Albury.

"Internally, we have agreed that Albury presents the best option for our opening training week as the team prepares for the recommencement of the season.

"As challenging as it may be, the team will head to Albury with a positive mindset and use the camp as a way to reconnect with each other after a six-week hiatus.  

"Of course, we will continue discussions with the Government about options in Victoria beyond then and we hope to return to AAMI Park soon.

"Our thanks also go to everyone at Albury who has helped us with arrangements for this camp, as well as the various people we have been in contact with at Mulwala-Yarrawonga, which ultimately was not possible due to the location of the training oval."

The Storm's training group will include 32 players and 18 football department staff as Donaghy added: "With the help of the NRL, we will be implementing stringent health and safety protocols for our players and staff to protect their health, and that of the community, as well as providing the best possible training environment.

"During the period until Project Apollo restrictions are eased, all of our players will have their health closely monitored daily, and will be in their accommodation in Albury, or back at their home in Melbourne, unless at club training or match day. 

"This will be unlike any camp the club has ever done previously and our players are already well aware of that. And while we know we have many members and fans in the Albury region, unfortunately, because of the strict restrictions, our players and training venue will be off limits to the public. We're sure they will understand the reasons why and like us are very much looking forward to the season recommencing at the end of the month."

Related items

  • Hertha Berlin seek postponement of three Bundesliga matches with team in quarantine Hertha Berlin seek postponement of three Bundesliga matches with team in quarantine

    Hertha Berlin have requested three matches be postponed due to being forced into 14-day quarantine as a result of COVID-19 cases within the Bundesliga club.

    Hertha have asked to delay scheduled fixtures against Mainz (April 18), Frieburg (April 21) and Schalke (April 24) after left-back Marvin Plattenhardt tested positive for coronavirus on Thursday. 

    Head coach Pal Dardai, assistant coach Admir Hamzagic and striker Dodi Lukebakio had positive tests earlier in the day, prompting the German club to implement the two-week quarantine. 

    Hertha initially had planned to play their matches during that period but the additional positive test to Plattenhardt prompted the plea to push them back.

    "Due to the cases that have occurred, we are now forced to a 14-day quarantine at home," said sporting director Arne Friedrich, who took charge of training on Thursday with Dardai out.

    "From a health point of view, this is absolutely the right step. because we now have to play six Bundesliga games by the end of the season on May 22, 2021 in the fight to stay relegated in May. 

    "During the quarantine at home, the team will keep fit with virtual training units under the guidance of the coaching team. 

    "We accept the situation despite the difficult circumstances and will throw everything in our power for a successful season finale into the balance."

    There was no immediate response from the German Football League (DFL), which had announced new dates for several 2.Bundesliga matches that had been postponed due to coronavirus cases. 

    Hertha sit just outside the relegation play-off place on goal difference ahead of fellow strugglers Arminia Bielefeld, while the capital club are three points clear of the automatic relegation positions with six games remaining.

     

  • LaVine sidelined by NBA health protocols as Bulls' playoff hopes fade LaVine sidelined by NBA health protocols as Bulls' playoff hopes fade

    The Chicago Bulls' fading playoff hopes have taken another blow as All-Star Zach LaVine is set to miss some time. 

    LaVine is in the NBA's health and safety protocol amid the coronavirus pandemic, the team confirmed on Thursday.

    He will miss at least Friday's game against the Memphis Grizzlies. 

    The Bulls had been scheduled to practice on Thursday, but it was called off because of health and safety protocols, a team spokesperson told reporters. 

    Entering Thursday's action, the Bulls (22-32) were in 10th place in the Eastern Conference, holding a one-game lead over the Toronto Raptors and Washington Wizards for the final spot in the play-in tournament.   

    LaVine is averaging a career-best 27.5 points per game. He scored 30 points and added seven assists in a loss to the Orlando Magic on Wednesday.

    Chicago have dropped four games in a row and 12 of their last 16.

     

  • Tokyo Olympics cancellation remains an option, says top Japanese politician Tokyo Olympics cancellation remains an option, says top Japanese politician

    Cancelling the rescheduled Tokyo Olympics remains an option, according to a top official from Japan's ruling Liberal Democratic Party (LDP). 

    The Games, which were postponed last year amid the coronavirus pandemic, are set to take place between July 23 and August 8, with the Paralympics following from August 24 until September 5.

    The health crisis continues to cause issues for nations across the globe but the message from the International Olympics Committee (IOC) and from the Tokyo 2020 Organising Committee has thus far been that the show will go on.

    International fans are banned from attending, and social-distancing measures, track-and-trace systems and temperature checks will be enforced.

    With experts in Japan warning the country has entered a fourth wave of COVID-19 infections, the secretary general of the LDP, Toshihiro Nikai, said cancelling the Games remains a possibility. 

    "If it seems impossible to go on with the games, they must be definitely cancelled," Nikai told TBS TV.

    "If there is a surge in infections because of the Olympics, there will be no meaning to having the Olympics."

    Asked if cancellation was still an option, he added: "Of course."

    A recent poll conducted by Japanese news agency Kyodo News revealed that 39.2 per cent of respondents want the Games to be cancelled, with 32.8 per cent in favour of it being delayed again.

     

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.