Coronavirus: Sane could benefit from Premier League break – Gundogan

By Sports Desk April 22, 2020

Manchester City midfielder Ilkay Gundogan believes the enforced break in the Premier League could be beneficial for Leroy Sane.

Sane damaged the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee last August and was nearing a first-team return before the Premier League season was suspended due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Gundogan said he was sometimes training with Sane, 24, remotely and feels the attacker – who has been linked with a move to Bayern Munich – could be helped by the hiatus.

"We have the same fitness coach in Germany. Some days we do our exercises via FaceTime. It's worked out well so far and we're on it and trying to be very focused," he said, via the club's website.

"For everyone the situation has its good and bad sides. On one hand, Leroy had already trained with the team and he had his comeback in sight, even though he still had a few minor things.

"But he was almost back at playing again. Especially for your psyche, it's important to be able to play again after such a long time.

"On the other hand, he now has a bit more time to figure out those minor problems he still had. The fact that others can't play either is not so bad for him."

Gundogan, whose side were 25 points adrift of leaders Liverpool when play was halted, admitted it was at times tough to get motivated when training alone.

"I have a few things to do and then I'm ready to go," the Germany international said.

"To be honest, it's not so easy to motivate yourself these days every day when you are training. You know, like people who are working from home, you can maybe compare it to that.

"For those people it's also not the same as driving to work every day and then doing their jobs.

"You have to motivate yourself to do things and to do your work. Some days it's harder than others."

Related items

  • Jimenez hopes to return 'soon' from fractured skull as Wolves star provides update Jimenez hopes to return 'soon' from fractured skull as Wolves star provides update

    Raul Jimenez hopes he can return to action "soon" but will remain under observation for the time being after suffering a fractured skull against Arsenal on Sunday.

    Wolves claimed a 2-1 win at Emirates Stadium but the occasion was soured early on by a sickening injury sustained by the Mexican.

    In just the fifth minute, Jimenez contested an aerial duel with David Luiz and the pair clashed heads.

    He required roughly 10 minutes of medical attention before he was eventually carried away on a stretcher and taken to hospital for checks.

    It was discovered he suffered a fracture to his skull and underwent an operation that night.

    Wolves released a statement on Monday confirming the procedure had taken place and that he was "comfortable" following the surgery – they were hesitant to outline a recovery period.

    Jimenez has, understandably, also stopped short of setting a target as he provided a first personal update on social media.

    He wrote: "Thanks for your support messages. I will be under observation and I hope to return to the pitch soon."

    Mexico international Jimenez has been an integral part of Wolves' team since joining from Benfica, initially on loan, in 2018.

    He has scored 34 times in 86 Premier League appearances, while he also impressed on the European stage last term with 10 in 15 Europa League outings as Wolves reached the quarter-finals.

  • Conte's rotten win rate, Mane in need of a goal – Champions League in Opta numbers Conte's rotten win rate, Mane in need of a goal – Champions League in Opta numbers

    Matchday five of the Champions League could mean qualification for the last 16 for some - and spell trouble for others.

    Bayern Munich and Manchester City are already through, but their respective opponents, Atletico Madrid and Porto, could do with positive results.

    Real Madrid recorded a valuable win at Inter last time out but must do better against Shakhtar Donetsk than they did on matchday one, while the Nerazzurri themselves know nothing but a victory at Borussia Monchengladbach will do.

    Liverpool need just a point at home to Ajax to progress, but with injury problems mounting and a 2-0 home loss to Atalanta last week, their progress no longer looks to be such plain sailing.

    Shakhtar Donetsk v Real Madrid: Zidane's men aim to qualify against goal-shy opponents

    Shakhtar's 3-2 win at Madrid was a serious shock, one that became more apparent as they lost their latest two games by four or more goals without scoring. Only Malmo and Red Star Belgrade have ever done so in three consecutive matches.

    Indeed, Shakhtar have failed to score with each of their 23 shots since netting their third in the Spanish capital.

    Madrid know a victory will guarantee their place in the knockouts for the 24th season in a row, a competition record. Their form might be inconsistent, but they have lost only one of their previous seven away games against Ukrainian opponents – a 2-0 defeat to Dynamo Kiev – since March 1999.

     

    Atletico Madrid v Bayern Munich: Holders could match club record – but without Lewandowski

    Bayern Munich will match a club-record seven away wins in a row in the Champions League with victory at Atletico Madrid. They have won their previous six by an aggregate score of 27-7.

    Diego Simeone has lost three of his five meetings with Bayern in this competition, but Atleti have only been beaten once at home in Europe in their previous 24 games.

    Robert Lewandowski needs just one goal to surpass Raul in the all-time goalscoring list in the tournament, having reached 71 against Salzburg. However, with the striker missing this contest, Atleti may fancy their chances of beating Bayern at home for the third time in a row.

    Borussia Monchengladbach v Inter: Can Conte fix his Champions League woes?

    Since losing the first meeting in 1971, Borussia Monchengladbach have gone four games unbeaten against Inter.

    This season marks the first occasion Inter have ever failed to win any of their opening four Champions League matches, and they are at risk of losing three in a row in the group stage for the first time.

    Indeed, Antonio Conte has won only 20 per cent of his Champions League games in charge of the Nerazzurri, the lowest ratio of any of his predecessors over at least five games in the competition. Fail to win in Germany, and Inter are out.

     

    Porto v Manchester City: Imperious defence meets clinical attack

    Porto have lost three games in a row against Manchester City 9-2 on aggregate and are winless in five previous meetings with English opponents.

    Pep Guardiola's side have already kept three clean sheets this term, one more than they managed in nine Champions League matches in 2019-20.

    Porto, however, have scored with 25.8 per cent of their shots this season, a tally only bettered by Gladbach (28.6 per cent).

    Liverpool v Ajax: Mane must find magic touch

    Ajax and Liverpool have not met at Anfield since 1966-67, when the Eredivisie side won the tie 7-3 on aggregate. That was the last occasion the Reds lost to a Dutch side (they have played 14 such games since).

    Ajax are unbeaten in 11 away games in the Champions League, their best run since March 1997, and they have not lost in their latest five visits to England in this competition.

    Liverpool, who need a point to progress, could do with Sadio Mane finding form. The forward has scored only once at home in his previous 10 appearances in this tournament, going 426 minutes without finding the net in that run.

     

    Other fixtures:

    Lokomotiv Moscow v Salzburg

    20 – Of the 20 shots attempted between these sides in their matchday-one meeting – which ended in a 2-2 draw - 15 of them were by Salzburg. Indeed, Lokomotiv Moscow scored twice from just three shots on target in the game.

    50 – Since the start of last season, Salzburg's 10 games in the Champions League group stages have seen 50 goals scored (23 for, 27 against), the most of any club. Salzburg have won just two of those 10 games (D2 L6).

     

    Atalanta v Midtjylland

    3 – Midtjylland have lost all three of their previous games against Italian opponents in European competition, conceding 13 goals and scoring just one in reply.

    1 – Atalanta have only failed to score in one of their last 12 games in the Champions League (25 goals in total), although this did come in their most recent home game in the competition, losing by five goals to Liverpool.

     

    Marseille v Olympiacos

    13 – Marseille have lost their last 13 Champions League matches – a competition record – scoring just six goals and conceding 29.

    10 – The Ligue 1 side (six) and Olympiacos (eight) are the only two teams in the Champions League in 2020-21 yet to attempt at least 10 shots on target, with the Greek team managing just one across their previous two matches against Man City.

  • Rumour Has It: Real Madrid can't afford Mbappe, Chelsea lead Alaba race Rumour Has It: Real Madrid can't afford Mbappe, Chelsea lead Alaba race

    Real Madrid's dream of signing Kylian Mbappe may have to wait.

    Mbappe, 21, has regularly been linked with LaLiga's champions after starring for Paris Saint-Germain.

    But the impacts of the coronavirus pandemic are seemingly set to hurt Madrid's chances of landing the star.

     

    TOP STORY – REAL MADRID CAN'T AFFORD MBAPPE NEXT YEAR

    Madrid cannot afford a deal to sign PSG star Mbappe next year, according to Le Parisien.

    It comes with finances of clubs around the world hurt by the COVID-19 pandemic.

    Mbappe, who is contracted until 2022, has scored nine goals in 11 games in all competitions this season.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - Out of contract at the end of the season, David Alaba looks set to leave Bayern Munich. AS reports Chelsea believe they will be in pole position to sign the defender with their offer.

    - Linked with a move to Manchester United, Hakan Calhanoglu could yet stay at Milan. CalcioMercato reports Milan remain hopeful of re-signing the midfielder, whose contract expires at season's end, and a decisive meeting between the parties is nearing.

    - Barcelona want to sign a centre-back in January and Manchester City defender Eric Garcia remains a target, according to Mundo Deportivo. The report says Barca also have experienced targets if City do not want to sell Garcia.

    - Staying at Barcelona and Sport reports the Catalan giants are interested in Hoffenheim defender Melayro Bogarde, whose uncle Winston played for the club from 1998 to 2000.

    - Manchester City are reportedly close to landing a teenage attacker. Fabrizio Romano says the Premier League side are in advanced negotiations to sign Dario Sarmiento, 17, from Argentine club Estudiantes after an opening bid of £17million (€19m).

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.