Coronavirus: SANZAAR chief proposes staging Rugby Championship during club season

By Sports Desk April 14, 2020

The Rugby Championship in 2020 could be held while the Super Rugby season is ongoing to make sure both take place, SANZAAR CEO Andy Marinos has suggested.

This year's southern hemisphere tournament between Argentina, Australia, South Africa and New Zealand is due to be held between August 8 and September 27.

The domestic Super Rugby campaign is scheduled to finish with the final in June, but the coronavirus pandemic forced the season to be put on hold.

As organisers try to ensure both competitions can be staged in 2020, Marinos has proposed the idea of having them run in parallel, despite the drawback of Super Rugby teams having to give up international players during Test-match windows.

"Could you be playing the Rugby Championship at the same time as a domestic competition?" Marinos said via NewsHub.

"It's not trying to rubbish one for the other, it's how do we get a sensible solution in what may be a restricted time frame?

"Logic would suggest if there is an ability to create like what we've seen with the NRL around a bubble, if it's all in one location it seems a bit easier.

"At this point in time, we'd be silly to rule out anything. We are hell-bent and have every intention of delivering the complete package."

Related items

  • Grizzlies have three games postponed due to COVID-19 protocols Grizzlies have three games postponed due to COVID-19 protocols

    The NBA has announced the Memphis Grizzlies' next three games have been postponed in accordance with COVID-19 protocols.

    Memphis had already seen Wednesday's scheduled meeting with the Portland Trail Blazers called off, the Grizzlies not having the league-required minimum of eight players available for action.

    The same teams had been due to meet on Friday, however that clash will no longer be going ahead as planned.

    Back-to-back games with the Sacramento Kings, set to take place on Sunday and Monday, are also postponed due to the combination of unavailable Grizzlies players and contact tracing for others on the roster. 

    "The Memphis Grizzlies' next three games - Friday, January 22 at Portland and Sunday, January 24 and Monday, January 25 vs Sacramento - have been postponed in accordance with the NBA's health and safety protocols," the NBA said in a statement.

    "The games are being postponed due to unavailable players for the Grizzlies and contact tracing for other players on their roster, and in order to ensure the health and safety of players on both teams."

    In total, 20 games have been postponed during the NBA regular season as the competition deals with the ongoing impact of the coronavirus pandemic.

    The Grizzlies are 7-6 on the season and on a five-game winning streak. Following the postponements, they are next due to be in action on January 27, when they host the Chicago Bulls.

  • Man City striker Aguero confirms positive coronavirus test Man City striker Aguero confirms positive coronavirus test

    Sergio Aguero has confirmed he is self-isolating after returning a positive test for coronavirus.

    The Manchester City striker has missed four straight games after coming into contact with another person who had contracted COVID-19.

    Aguero announced his result on Twitter and it is not known when he will be free to return to training.

    "After a close contact, I've been self-isolating and the latest test I took was positive for COVID 19," Aguero wrote.

    "I had some symptoms and I'm following doctor's orders for recovery. Take care, everyone."

    Aguero has played in just five Premier League games and nine matches in all competitions in a stop-start campaign.

    Gabriel Jesus, Kevin De Bruyne and Ferran Torres have all been utilised as a central attacking option at times this term.

    City are unbeaten in their past 16 matches in all competitions and are just two points off leaders Manchester United in the Premier League with a game in a hand.

    Pep Guardiola's men face Cheltenham Town in the FA Cup this weekend and also have league matches with West Brom and Sheffield United within the next 10 days.

  • Rebic, Krunic and Hernandez cleared to return for Milan Rebic, Krunic and Hernandez cleared to return for Milan

    Ante Rebic, Rade Krunic and Theo Hernandez have been cleared to return to action for Milan.

    It was confirmed prior to Milan's game with Juventus on January 6 that Rebic and Krunic had tested positive for coronavirus and they have not played since.

    Hernandez and Hakan Calhanoglu returned positive results from tests administered last Saturday, ruling them out of the game with Cagliari on Monday.

    However, Milan revealed on Thursday that Hernandez's result was a "false positive", while Rebic and Kurnic have now tested negative.

    A club statement read: "Milan announces that both Ante Rebic and Rade Krunic underwent a molecular swab test with negative results and this morning had the medical exams required to resume professional activity.

    "Further examinations have shown that Theo Hernandez was a 'false positive'. The documentation has been provided to the health authorities and the player can now resume training."

    Milan sit top of Serie A with a three-point advantage over local rivals Inter, who they face in the Coppa Italia next week.

    Before that, though, they entertain Atalanta in a league clash at San Siro on Saturday.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.