Coronavirus: Rashford & Sancho among England players competing in FIFA 20 tournament

By Sports Desk April 09, 2020

Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho and Trent Alexander-Arnold will be among the England players competing in a FIFA 20 tournament designed to raise awareness of the fight against coronavirus.

The Football Association has announced 16 players across England's senior men and women's teams, and the Under-21 squad, will take part in a competition that begins next week.

As well as underlining the importance of the United Kingdom government's advice for citizens to stay at home amid the coronavirus pandemic, the tournament will also highlight the National Emergencies Trust, a collection of community foundations that distributes money to charities.

Chelsea trio Mason Mount, Callum Hudson-Odoi and Tammy Abraham will also compete in the tournament, along with fellow England players Callum Wilson and James Maddison.

Lucy Bronze, Jordan Nobbs and Ellie Roebuck - all part of Phil Neville's women's squad - will also be involved, as will Under-21 internationals Reiss Nelson, Todd Cantwell, Max Aarons, Eddie Nketiah and Ryan Sessegnon.

The opening round of the tournament begins on Friday, April 10.

Related items

  • Dortmund have had 'no contact' with Man Utd over Sancho, says Watzke Dortmund have had 'no contact' with Man Utd over Sancho, says Watzke

    Borussia Dortmund chief executive Hans-Joachim Watzke insisted there had been "no contact" with Manchester United about Jadon Sancho.

    Sancho, 20, has been heavily linked with a move to the Premier League giants, with recent reports suggesting a £108.5million (€120m) deal was close.

    However, Watzke dismissed those reports, saying there had been no contact between the clubs regarding the England international.

    "So far, there has been no contact between Borussia Dortmund and Manchester United in terms of Sancho," he told Suddeutsche Zeitung on Wednesday.

    "Also not directly or through alleged intermediaries."

    United are reportedly prepared to walk away from the Sancho deal amid an unwillingness to meet Dortmund's asking price.

    Dortmund sporting director Michael Zorc said he expected Sancho to be at the club in 2020-21.

    "I assume that Jadon will go to the training camp on Monday and play with us for the coming season," he told Suddeutsche Zeitung.

  • Solskjaer confirms Sanchez exit but stays quiet on Sancho pursuit Solskjaer confirms Sanchez exit but stays quiet on Sancho pursuit

    Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has confirmed Alexis Sanchez will join Inter on a permanent deal but would not be drawn on Manchester United's pursuit of Jadon Sancho. 

    Inter chief executive Giuseppe Marotta said on Wednesday that he expected to announce the signing of Sanchez, who has been on loan at San Siro this season, on a three-year contract on Thursday. 

    Speaking after United's 2-1 win over LASK in the last-16 second leg of the Europa League, Solskjaer wished Sanchez well in Italy, where he has begun to rediscover his form after a torrid time at Old Trafford. 

    "I can confirm that he's agreed and we've agreed," Solskjaer said. "Alexis enjoyed his time there. 

    "They've liked him, so of course that's a good move for him. Wish him all the best. He's a top player that we want to see play his best football. 

    "For whatever reason, we didn't see the best of Alexis, but he's a top professional and we just wish him all the best." 

    With Sanchez leaving, the number seven shirt will become vacant at United as they attempt to strike a deal to bring in Jadon Sancho from Borussia Dortmund. 

    The England star is said to be keen on a move to the Premier League, but Dortmund have been holding out for a sizeable transfer fee, reportedly at least €110million. 

    United are believed to be unwilling to sanction such spending amid the impact of the coronavirus pandemic and are eager to reduce Dortmund's asking price, while hoping to pay some of the fee in installments or bonuses. 

    Solskjaer insisted there was no update in terms of United's pursuit of transfer targets, though. 

    "We're looking into all transfers differently," he said. "I'm not going to speak about individuals that are not our players, so no news, no updates. 

    "We'll update you if something happens."

  • Inter chief Marotta confirms Sanchez deal Inter chief Marotta confirms Sanchez deal

    Alexis Sanchez will officially become an Inter player on a permanent basis on Thursday, according to the club's chief executive Giuseppe Marotta.

    Sanchez has spent 2019-20 on loan at Inter from Manchester United, scoring four goals and providing eight assists across 22 Serie A appearances as Antonio Conte's side finished second behind Juventus.

    Reports emerged this week suggesting United would terminate the Chilean's contract at Old Trafford, which was believed to be worth £500,000 per week.

    These claims were confirmed on Wednesday, with Marotta revealing the 31-year-old had agreed a three-year deal with Inter.

    "Unofficially - we'll make it official tomorrow morning - the player is entirely owned by Inter," he told Sky Italia ahead of Inter's Europa League clash with Getafe in Germany.

    "We have a contract with him for three seasons. We believe in him, that he can be a strong part of this squad, and are happy to have concluded this deal."

    Sanchez was named on the bench against Getafe for what had been set to be the final match of his loan spell.

    The forward has enjoyed a resurgence in Italy following a desperate 18-month stint at Old Trafford.

    After staring for Arsenal, January 2018 signing Sanchez failed to impress for United and scored just five goals in all competitions.

    News of Sanchez's signing comes after head coach Conte hit out at Inter's hierarchy for not protecting his squad enough this season.

    However, Marotta revealed Inter's chiefs have held discussions with Conte amid doubts over his future.

    "We are all concentrated on this evening, which is an important match," he added. "Conte gave a very clear statement yesterday and we refer you to that.

    "Anyone in the football world knows that these dynamics exist and we have to live with this way of doing things. This is an important evening for the future of Inter.

    "The owners spoke to Conte yesterday and we all want the same thing, which is to achieve great objectives and make the fans happy."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.