Coronavirus: Klopp said Liverpool v Atletico going ahead was a 'criminal act' - Ancelotti

By Sports Desk March 28, 2020

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp felt staging the Champions League match against Atletico Madrid at Anfield without restrictions earlier this month was a "criminal act", according to Carlo Ancelotti.

Everton head coach Ancelotti has spoken with Klopp amid the coronavirus pandemic and said the German had concerns over his side’s continental fixture going ahead in front of a full stadium on March 11.

Liverpool went out of the Champions League after the second leg of their last-16 tie ended in a 4-2 aggregate defeat, their last match before top-level football was widely halted due to the outbreak.

Ancelotti told Corriere dello Sport: "I heard from Klopp the other day, he told me that going ahead with the game in those conditions was a criminal act. I think he was right."

Former Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Chelsea and Milan boss Ancelotti predicts there will be an economic "downsizing" after the virus has passed, with football feeling the effects of that.

"We are all living a life that we were not used to and that will change us profoundly," he said. "I'm sure we will all have to downsize, starting with football.

"Today, the priority is health, limiting the contagion. When you start again, when you finish, the dates - believe me, I don't care. At the moment, that's the last thing on my mind.

"I hear talk about cutting salaries, suspension of payments. They seem like inopportune solutions.

"Soon the economy will change, and that's at all levels: The TV rights will be less, players and coaches will earn less, tickets will cost less because people will have less money.

"I repeat, what matters now is to fight the virus effectively. Then, of course, if it will be possible to continue the season... otherwise, amen."

Related items

  • 'A lack of respect and regard for stakeholders' - KSAFA demands resignation of JFF Technical Chairman Speid 'A lack of respect and regard for stakeholders' - KSAFA demands resignation of JFF Technical Chairman Speid

    The Kingston and St Andrew Football Association (KSAFA) has called on JFF Technical Chairman, Rudolph Speid, to resign from the post, citing what they deem to be multiple conflicts of interest.

    Speid was appointed to the post earlier this year, but KSAFA has pointed to several other post appointments that he also holds at the same time as problematic.

    “Currently you are a member of the Board of Directors for the JFF, Chairman of the Technical Committee, leads the operations of the JFF’s Coaching School, Chairman of the newly formed Jamaica Coaches Association, member of the Leadership of the Jamaica National Premier League (JNPL) and owner / major

    shareholder in Cavaliers Soccer Club.  This long list of involvement consists of clear lines of conflict of interest,” the letter stated.

    The letter went on to point out that, as it relates to Jamaican football, the conflicts have caused an inability to view ‘important policy matters objectively’ and also took umbrage to what has been deemed a ‘lack of respect and

    regard for stakeholders.’ The body has promised to escalate the matter to the Jamaica Football Federation if Speid refused to accede to the request.

  • Nelson Semedo farewells Barca ahead of reported Wolves move Nelson Semedo farewells Barca ahead of reported Wolves move

    Nelson Semedo sent a goodbye message to Barcelona ahead of his reported move to Premier League side Wolves.

    Barcelona and Portugal full-back Semedo is poised to swap the LaLiga giants for Wolves, who boast countrymen Nuno Espirito Santo, Ruben Neves, Joao Moutinho, Fabio Silva, Rui Patricio, Daniel Podence, Pedro Neto, Vitinha, Roderick and Ruben Vinagre.

    As Barca look to free up salary space and raise funds, Semedo farewelled Camp Nou in an Instagram post on Tuesday.

    "Thank you very much Barcelona for giving me the opportunity to live the dream of wearing this shirt, of playing in Camp Nou, of learning and enjoying the best in the world," Semedo wrote.

    "Thank you for making me grow as a player and as a person. They were three wonderful years that I will never forget.

    "Thank my colleagues, staff, fans and all the people who helped me since I arrived until today. I wish you the best luck in the world. Eternally grateful."

    Semedo joined Barca from Portuguese giants Benfica in 2017.

    The 26-year-old won two LaLiga titles, the Copa del Rey and Supercopa de Espana during his time in Barcelona.

    Semedo made 32 LaLiga appearances and 42 across all competitions last season as Barca were dethroned by bitter rivals Real Madrid and humiliated 8-2 by Bayern Munich in the Champions League quarter-finals.

  • Henderson revels in dream Man Utd debut Henderson revels in dream Man Utd debut

    Manchester United goalkeeper Dean Henderson said he fulfilled a dream after making his debut for the Red Devils.

    Henderson started in place of regular number one David de Gea and kept a clean sheet as United defeated Luton Town 3-0 in the EFL Cup third round on Tuesday.

    After starring on loan at Sheffield United last season, Henderson returned to Old Trafford and signed a five-year contract last month.

    The 23-year-old – a product of the club's academy – impressed on his debut at Championship side Luton, producing a fine save to deny Tom Lockyer from close range during the closing stages before Marcus Rashford and Mason Greenwood sealed the victory following Juan Mata's first-half penalty.

    Reacting afterwards, Henderson wrote via Twitter: "I dreamt about this my whole life!!

    "Unbelievable feeling to make my debut for the club I love! Clean sheet and a win to top it off!!!"

    Henderson watched from the bench as United opened their Premier League season with a shock 3-1 defeat at home to Crystal Palace last week.

    Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's United travel to Brighton and Hove Albion on Saturday.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.