CEEN News to air on SportsMax nightly, to provide COVID-19 updates

By March 27, 2020

COVID-19 is making the world a bigger place with travel lockdowns and the attendant difficulties with getting a proper picture of the situation, especially in regions like the Caribbean.

In fact, there are many Caribbean nationals either trying to get home or ensuring their loved ones keep safe at a time when a virus is threatening to cripple the world economy and kill many in the process.

CEEN News, a cable news network owned by SportsMax in Jamaica and shown in the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom, is helping to bridge the divide for millions of persons from the diaspora with CEEN Caribbean News at 8pm.

For those in the Caribbean who want to know what is happening, CEEN Caribbean News will be aired nightly on SportsMax as well.

"CEEN News is sharing the nightly news with our viewers on SportsMax to satisfy their need for information about how individual islands are battling this highly infectious disease," said George Davis, Executive Producer at SportsMax and CEEN.

"We believe in accurate, timely information and are committed to playing our part as the most-watched sports network in this part of the world," he said.

As has become par for the course, CEEN Caribbean News, provides nightly updates on the COVID-19 pandemic, paying specific attention to the region.

According to Davis, every night on CEEN is chock-full of information on the spread of the virus in the Caribbean, including reporting on new infections, treatment of existing cases and deaths in all the countries around the region.

Tonight, for instance, CEEN Caribbean goes global and intends to speak to a Jamaican living in Italy, a country which is almost in a neck and neck race with the United States as the epicenter of the virus.

For those who cannot watch on TV, they can watch on the app which is available in the Playstore or Appstore. Viewers in the diaspora can stream live at CEEN's website.

 

Paul-Andre Walker

Paul-Andre is the Managing Editor at SportsMax.tv. He comes to the role with almost 20 years of experience as journalist. That experience includes all facets of media. He began as a sports Journalist in 2001, quickly moving into radio, where he was an editor before becoming a news editor and then an entertainment editor with one of the biggest media houses in the Caribbean.

Related items

  • Another member of Reggae Boyz delegation tests positive for Covid-19 Another member of Reggae Boyz delegation tests positive for Covid-19

    The Covid-19 virus continues to sweep through the Reggae Boyz camp in Saudi Arabia as the the Jamaica Football Federation is reporting that a member of the administrative staff has tested positive for the virus.

  • Covid-19 strikes Reggae Boyz camp in Saudi Arabia Covid-19 strikes Reggae Boyz camp in Saudi Arabia

    Two members of the Jamaica’s football delegation currently in Saudi Arabia have tested positive for Covid-19 following PCR tests administered on Thursday. This includes one player and a member of the technical staff.

    Two other players are under investigation.

    All four, who had been in quarantine for 48 hours with the full group, have now been isolated and the protocols, set by the Saudi Arabia Football Federation (SAFF), are expected to be put into effect. 

    The protocols dictate that all confirmed cases - either symptomatic or a-symptomatic - will be isolated in the same hotel on a different wing or section away from the bulk of the rest of the team. Based on medical advice, possible isolation in a different hotel or medical facility is not ruled out.

    If a patient is asymptomatic then he or she will be constantly assessed by the JFF Head Doctor and the patient will be allowed to travel after a negative PCR test or based on a medical assessment and local authority health protocol.

    If the patient shows symptoms of Covid-19 and requires further medical care he or she will be transferred to a designated hospital. Any confirmed case has to be retested after three days of the disappearance of the last symptom to assess his or eligibility for travel.

    The Jamaican delegation is now in Saudi Arabia preparing to play two International Friendlies against the host on November 14 and 17.

  • CWI CEO expresses disappointment over breached protocols, says players put tour at risk CWI CEO expresses disappointment over breached protocols, says players put tour at risk

    Cricket West Indies CEO Johnny Grave said he is especially disappointed with the West Indies who breached New Zealand’s strict Covid-19 protocols earlier this week, is that they arguably are the most experienced dealing with being in isolation since the return of competitive cricket.

    Grave also hinted at the possibility of individual sanctions facing as many as four or five players who are alleged to have been involved and said there were plans to interview all the players and personnel who would have information salient to an investigation into the matter.

    In a statement Tuesday night, CWI said it had launched an investigation to the reports that several players had breached protocols and as a result had been banned from training for the final two days of isolation.

    New Zealand’s Ministry of Health reported that members of the team were confirmed to have repeatedly broken isolation rules. Many of the incidents were captured on close circuit television and have been reported by staff at the facility where the players are being housed.

    New Zealand cricket said the incidents included some players compromising bubble integrity by sharing food, and socializing in hallways. However, there is no evidence that any members of the touring party left the facility, or that any unauthorized persons accessed it.

    An embarrassed Grave speaking to media on a Zoom call expressed his disappointment at the situation while supporting the sanctions imposed on the players.

    “I think my disappointment is mainly the fact that our players are probably the most experienced players in the world in dealing with these strict quarantine measures. I am not, for any second, saying that they’re easy and living in them day in and day out is obviously a massive challenge. It’s still not natural for people to always wear a mask and always do things we have been trained to do for so many years, living our lives in the way we have before Covid,’ he said.

    “But these players, the majority of them have been in a seven-week quarantine isolation bubble for the duration of the England men’s tour that we held in June and July. They all pretty much went to Trinidad and Tobago, which had a very similar situation to New Zealand with its borders fully shut with the government dispensation to allow us to host the Caribbean Premier League, and they have been within that facility in Christchurch for virtually the whole quarantine period. So its hugely disappointing that players who knew what the protocols were have clearly broken them by mixing together.”

    He said their actions have put the tour and the New Zealand population at risk.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.