Elaine Thompson-Herah has mixed feelings at pending postponement of 2020 Olympics

By March 23, 2020

Elaine Thompson-Herah has expressed disappointment over the reported postponement of the 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo, Japan, over the coronavirus pandemic.

 However, the 27-year-old Olympic champion has embraced the reality of the situation, recognizing that the International Olympic Committee (IOC) might have had little choice in arriving at their position.

“I was so looking forward to this year’s Olympics Tokyo 2020. We all are facing this global pandemic but we as athletes still have to keep training no matter what,” she said.

“We can just only hope for the best. Delay Is Not Denial.”

At the 2016 Rio Olympics, Thompson-Herah won the 100m and 200m titles becoming the first woman since Florence Griffith-Joyner in 1988 to accomplish that feat. Since then she has not had much fortune at global championships.

After going into the World Championships in London in 2017 with the fastest time world in the 100m (10.71) and was impressive through the rounds, she finished a disappointing fifth.

The Jamaican team doctor Kevin Jones revealed afterwards that the 2015 200m silver medallist had eaten something that made her unwell, and which resulted in her throwing up several times before the start of the finals won by American Tori Bowie.

In Doha in 2019, she also went into the World Championships with the joint fastest time in the world (10.73) with the eventual gold medallist Shelly-Ann Fraser Pryce. However, the flare-up of a longstanding Achilles-related injury saw her finish fourth in the 100m. The injury also forced her to withdraw from the 200m.

The 2020 Olympics would have been an opportunity for her to find redemption and live up to the immense potential that made her the fastest woman in the world in 2016. Nevertheless, 2020 was always going to be a challenge with the outbreak of the coronavirus causing the cancellation of the Grenada Invitational that was set for April 4.

She had planned to open her season there.

However, after weeks of insisting that the Olympics would go as planned, the IOC seemed to have been forced to backtrack after Canada and Australia stated publicly that they would withdraw from the Olympic Games if they were not postponed until 2021.

The USA Track and Field Association and Swimming Associations have also called on the IOC to postpone the Games set for July 24-August 8, 2020.

World Athletics chief Lord Sebastian Coe has also wavered and said Monday that track and field’s governing body would be willing to move the 2021 World Championships set for Eugene, Oregon to accommodate the rescheduled Olympic Games.

 

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • Serie A champions Inter have 'serious financial problems' – Zanetti Serie A champions Inter have 'serious financial problems' – Zanetti

    Inter vice-president Javier Zanetti said the Serie A champions have "serious financial problems" amid ongoing uncertainty over their ownership.

    Atalanta's 1-1 draw with Sassuolo last week meant Inter were crowned champions of Italy for the first time since Jose Mourinho's treble-winning side in 2009-10, ending Juventus' run of nine consecutive Scudetti.

    Despite leading Inter to glory, head coach Antonio Conte's future remains uncertain due to the Nerazzurri's financial situation caused by the coronavirus pandemic as owners Suning Holdings Group reportedly consider selling the team.

    Reports of a possible sale first emerged in the middle of the season and rumours regarding the Chinese owners – who acquired a majority stake in 2016 – persist amid the COVID-19 crisis.

    "It's true that the club could've been sold mid-season," former Inter star and captain Zanetti told La Nacion.

    "We were going through serious financial problems, even if we weren't the only ones in such a difficult moment.

    "I saw that as a club we can still improve. The coach has done something extraordinary over two years, now it's up to us to improve the internal mechanism and aspire to something more.

    "The financial problems remain and it could take a couple of years to rediscover that balance. We need people back in the stadium to make the sponsors happy. Basically, a return to normality.

    "We mustn't hide, it is a delicate moment, but we want this so we can take a bigger step forward. What we need is an over-reaching strategy that guarantees sustainability in the long-term."

    Conte earned his fourth Serie A title this season – only five other coaches in league history have managed at least four.

    The former Italy boss is only the second coach in Serie A history to win a Scudetto with both Inter and Juve, joining Giovanni Trapattoni.

    "Conte has brought a work ethic and mentality first and foremost," Zanetti said. "He convinced even the youngest players that his project could really work. Since the day he arrived, not a day has gone by without him thinking how to improve this team. He convinced the club to follow him.

    "There was some initial scepticism about his past at Juventus, but they learned to love him. He has been focused since the first day and accepted this challenge like a real Interista."

  • 'Participants will face full force of the law' - JFF warns individuals taking part in illegal youth academy league 'Participants will face full force of the law' - JFF warns individuals taking part in illegal youth academy league

    The Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) has cautioned any players, officials or referees who take part in an illegally organised youth competition that they could face possible sanctions.

    A fixture list for a competition, which features several youth academy teams, that was scheduled to take place from May 1 to June 13, has come to light in recent days.  The teams listed on the flyer included Phoenix Academy, Kickers Academy, Baptist Alliance Academy, Pembroke Elite, Irvin Youth Academy, Aptitude Academy, and LAX.

    The competition venue listed was the Mona High school, which is the training base of Phoenix Academy.  The JFF, who is the only body capable of sanctioning official club competitions across the island, has made it clear it has given no permission for the event to be staged and demanded its immediate termination.

    The JFF themselves have not received permission to resume competition on the island by the Jamaican government, based on the existing COVID-19 protocols.

    “No permission has been granted for any tournament to go ahead, and all players, coaches and other individuals associated with any tournament do so illegally under the country’s disaster preparedness laws,” a release issued by the JFF read.

    “The JFF is therefore mandating all concerned with any tournament, youth or adult, to cease and desist all activities. Anybody found to be involved in any new activity will face the full force of the laws of the federation and will be reported to the Office of Disaster Preparedness and Emergency Management for their attention.”

  • 'I am happy about where I am', says Natoya Goule after second fast 400m in as many weeks 'I am happy about where I am', says Natoya Goule after second fast 400m in as many weeks

    For the second week in a row, Natoya Goule ran a time in the 400m that is giving her cause to be optimistic about the season ahead.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.