Man City v Arsenal postponed due to coronavirus

By Sports Desk March 10, 2020

Manchester City's Premier League clash with Arsenal has been postponed as a precaution due to coronavirus.

City were scheduled to host Arsenal at the Etihad Stadium on Wednesday, however, the fixture will not take place in Manchester midweek.

The decision comes based on medical advice, "after it emerged that personnel from Arsenal have come into contact with the Olympiacos and Nottingham Forest owner, Evangelos Marinakis, who has been named as a positive case of COVID-19."

"Manchester City FC wishes Mr Marinakis a speedy recovery, and further information will follow in the coming days about rescheduled dates, but supporters are advised not to travel to Etihad Stadium for this fixture," City said in a statement.

Arsenal added that their players will self-isolate at home for 14 days, while four staff members will also remain at home until the two weeks are complete.

The Gunners' statement places upcoming matches against Brighton and Hove Albion (March 14) and Sheffield United (March 22) in doubt.

Premier League outfit Wolves have already called for Thursday's Europa League last-16 first leg against Olympiacos to be postponed after Marinakis tested positive for COVID-19 in Greece, however, UEFA rejected the request.

The clash is already being played behind closed doors amid the coronavirus outbreak.

Italy has been the hardest hit by coronavirus outside of China, with Serie A and all sporting activities suspended until April 3 following more than 10,100 cases and 600 deaths.

More than 3,000 people have died in China, while there have been six deaths and more than 380 cases in the United Kingdom.

Related items

  • Reggae Boy Maalique Foster remains hospitalized after Tuesday shooting incident Reggae Boy Maalique Foster remains hospitalized after Tuesday shooting incident

     Reggae Boyz forward Maalique Foster remains in hospital tonight after he was shot and injured in Southborough, Portmore, St Catherine Tuesday night during an incident in which two men were killed.

    The 23-year-old forward was among a group of friends when gunmen opened fire. Foster was hit in the neck and was taken to hospital.

    Horace Reid, the Director of Caribbean Football at CONCACAF, who was been in contact with Foster said the player underwent scans this afternoon but he will not be released from hospital until doctors have reviewed the results of the scans and determine that it is safe for him to be discharged.

    Foster was on loan in Israel at Ironi Kiryat Shmona from Costa Rican club Liga Deportiva Alajuelense. However, his contract reportedly expired in July. He contract was not renewed but he was mulling exploring the Israeli league for the 2021 season.

    Between 2015 and 2018, he made 70 appearances for Portmore United. He scored 14 goals for the St Catherine-based Premier League club.

    He made his international debut for Jamaica in January 2018, in a friendly match against South Korea in Antalya, Turkey.

     

  • Man Utd left-back Telles tests positive for coronavirus Man Utd left-back Telles tests positive for coronavirus

    Manchester United left-back Alex Telles has tested positive for coronavirus, it was confirmed on Wednesday.

    Telles, who arrived at United from Porto for a reported £15.4million (€17m) earlier this month, made his debut for the club in last week's Champions League win over Paris Saint-Germain.

    The 27-year-old has since missed two matches, including Wednesday's 5-0 thrashing of RB Leipzig at Old Trafford.

    United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer subsequently confirmed Telles had contracted COVID-19, but was feeling fine.

    "Telles has tested positive for coronavirus so he's been out for a few days," he told a news conference.

    "No symptoms though, so he'll be fine. Back soon."

    Top of Group H in the Champions League but 15th in the Premier League, United host Arsenal on Sunday.

  • TTFA files termination order on appeal of FIFA-imposed suspension TTFA files termination order on appeal of FIFA-imposed suspension

    Attorneys representing the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association today filed a termination order before the Court of Arbitration for Sport effectively ending their appeal of the suspension imposed on the association by FIFA last month.

    The termination order is in keeping with the resolutions arrived at on Sunday by the delegates of the association who voted en masse to end their seven-month dispute with the world governing body over a March 18 decision to appoint a normalization committee to manage the affairs of the debt-ridden association until the next Annual General Meeting scheduled for some time within the next three years.

    The delegates also voted to end all legal action against FIFA, which resulted in the termination order being filed today.

    The TTFA is hoping their actions along with others will see FIFA lifting their suspension before December 18. This will allow Trinidad and Tobago to participate in the draw for the 2020 CONCACAF Gold Cup.

    The TTFA was represented by Dr Emir Crowne, Mr Matthew Gayle, Ms Crystal Paul and Mr Jason Jones.

     

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.