Strasbourg v PSG called off due to coronavirus fears

By Sports Desk March 06, 2020

The Ligue 1 match between Strasbourg and Paris Saint-Germain on Saturday has been called off due to concerns over the spread of the coronavirus.

The Ligue de Football Professionnel (LFP) confirmed on Friday the game had been postponed following advice from local authorities.

There was no immediate indication of a new date for the game, which is the first in Ligue 1 to have been pulled from the schedule.

The decision came just three days after French sports minister Roxana Maracineanu stated Ligue 1 matches would not be affected by measures to combat the spread of the virus.

At a news conference on Tuesday, Maracineanu said league games would take place because the majority of spectators would be travelling from local areas where there have been no confirmed outbreaks of COVID-19.

However, she did indicate PSG's Champions League last-16 second leg against Borussia Dortmund next Wednesday could have to be played behind closed doors.

On Thursday, the European Parliament relocated a plenary session to Brussels rather than Strasbourg due to health risks.

There have been 420 confirmed cases of the virus in France, according to the World Health Organisation - the third highest for a European country, behind Germany and Italy.

Asked about the coronavirus in a news conference, PSG coach Thomas Tuchel said: "Personally, I'm not afraid but I'm not comfortable. It's worrying.

"I hope we're doing everything we can to protect the players by being careful. It's clear that we know that in Italy, games are played without fans. In Switzerland I think they don't play at all. I would say that type of news makes me uncomfortable.

"There are times when I don't think about it at all because we're working. We do what we can, and we don't have any influence on other things. If a decision is made about the fans [against Dortmund] we have to accept it.

"Do we want to play with our fans? Yes, always, of course. We are stronger with them, that's clear. On Wednesday, we'll need everyone in good shape. The coaches, the team, the physiotherapists and the fans too. I hope to have all our fans, that's clear."

Italy has seen widespread postponement of sporting events, including Serie A matches, as authorities attempt to delay the spread of the disease. 

Juventus versus Inter was one of six matches from last week to be called off and rearranged for this weekend. They will be held behind closed doors in line with a government decree that says all sporting events are to be held without fans present until April 3. 

In England, the Premier League is expected to meet with the government and broadcasters on Monday to discuss contingency plans should the proliferation of the coronavirus accelerate in the UK.

Related items

  • Inter boss Conte: Milan not in our thoughts after Udinese draw Inter boss Conte: Milan not in our thoughts after Udinese draw

    Antonio Conte insists Inter will continue to focus on themselves and not Milan after missing out on the chance to leapfrog their rivals at the top of Serie A. 

    A week on from beating fellow Scudetto contenders Juventus 2-0, Inter failed to get going as they were held to a goalless draw away at lowly Udinese on Saturday. 

    Conte's side attempted just 10 shots at the Dacia Arena - their joint-fewest in an away league match this season - in a game that saw Conte sent off late on for dissent. 

    Milan lost 3-0 to Atalanta on Saturday but Inter could only close the gap on the leaders to two points at the midway stage in the campaign. 

    The Nerazzurri have now triumphed in only one of their last four Serie A matches, having won their previous eight in a row, and Conte accepts an improvement is needed. 

    "As I always say, we need to think only of ourselves and not others, such as Milan. We just have to focus on improving our performances and results," he told Sky Sport Italia. 

    "We just try to work and get the best out of ourselves. I think that amid the many, many difficulties we had this year, Inter are having their say and are real protagonists. 

    "Inter deserve that for their history. The second half of the season is still to play, but what we've done for the last year and a half has been wonderful." 

    Conte was issued a yellow card and then a swift red by referee Fabio Maresca as the game entered added time, while team manager Lele Oriali was dismissed after the final whistle. 

    Explaining the touchline commotion during a game otherwise devoid of many talking points, Conte said: "We had a disagreement over the amount of stoppages awarded. 

    "The referee booked me and then chose to send me off. I thought four minutes weren't enough to add on in the circumstances.  

    "Then the referee makes his decisions and we have to accept them, even if we do not agree with those decisions." 

    A number of visiting players had an off day against an Udinese side without a goal in six successive league games against Inter - their longest such streak against any side in the division. 

    Achraf Hakimi in particular struggled, losing possession more times (23) than any other player, with Lautaro Martinez and Romelu Lukaku failing to get on the end of balls into the penalty box. 

    "We could've been more precise today and lacked quality in the final ball," Conte admitted. "When we put crosses in, we usually have four players push into the box.  

    "That's usually the intent, then it's about the accuracy of the cross. For instance, Nicolo Barella's cross was what created the goal for Arturo Vidal against Juventus.  

    "You need both the cross and to get bodies into the box." 

    Focus for Inter now switches to Tuesday's derby with Milan in the Coppa Italia quarter-finals, though Conte is prioritising the league over domestic cup success. 

    "We know that Serie A represents something important for the club and on an economic level, so winning the Scudetto or qualifying for the Champions League is more important than the Coppa Italia," he said.  

    "Having said that, we still respect the tournament and want to do well. Inevitably, we will evaluate the situation, see who has recovered and who needs more playing time.  

    "Nobody is underestimating this match and we'll try to win, as we always do. We don't put limits on ourselves, but we must find the right approach to beat Milan and go into the semi-finals."

  • Phil has to be Phil - Guardiola plays down talk of Foden filling De Bruyne void Phil has to be Phil - Guardiola plays down talk of Foden filling De Bruyne void

    Pep Guardiola praised the personality Phil Foden gave to Manchester City as they came from behind to beat Cheltenham Town 3-1 in the FA Cup, but insisted he does not have to fill Kevin De Bruyne's shoes.

    Foden was instrumental as City avoided a huge shock in the fourth round on Saturday, which looked on the cards when Alfie May prodded fourth-tier Cheltenham ahead.

    But the England international equalised by turning home at the far post nine minutes from time before Gabriel Jesus and Ferran Torres sealed progression to the fifth round.

    City could have been out of sight by the time May put Cheltenham in front, with Guardiola's men wasteful in front of goal.

    Foden played five key passes, with the fact none resulted in an assist indicative of the poor finishing displayed by City.

    With De Bruyne out for up to six weeks with a hamstring injury, Guardiola was asked in his post-match media conference if Foden can help fill the void.

    "Phil has to be Phil, Phil does not have to be Kevin De Bruyne," he replied. 

    "Phil has to do what he is doing in terms of the bad moments when we were losing, the personality that he gave to the game.

    "Phil can play in the middle, can play winger, can play in a false nine position up front. He's playing really well, again in the right moment he scored a goal."

    Joao Cancelo played the cross for Foden's equaliser after coming off the bench, while fellow substitute Ilkay Gundogan pulled the ball back for Torres to tap in City's third.

    Asked to explain their introductions, Guardiola said: "When you make a change you try to look for something.

    "The young two players [Taylor Harwood-Bellis and Tommy Doyle] played really well but the quality of Gundogan and Joao in the final third was so important.

    "Gundogan has the sense to score and with Phil and Riyad [Mahrez] in the final third we had the quality for the final pass and dribble and that's why they came in."

  • Are you watching, Real Madrid? Jovic scores again for in-form Eintracht Frankfurt Are you watching, Real Madrid? Jovic scores again for in-form Eintracht Frankfurt

    Luka Jovic continues to make an impressive impact back at Eintracht Frankfurt after scoring again for the Bundesliga club – meaning the striker has already surpassed his goals tally for Real Madrid.  

    The Serbia international departed Frankfurt after a hugely productive 2018-19 season, during which he scored 27 times in all competitions.  

    Madrid paid €60million to sign him, though the move has failed to work out as hoped. During his 18 months in the Spanish capital, Jovic managed just two goals in 32 appearances, albeit he started on just 11 occasions.  

    However, a return to familiar territory has helped the 23-year-old - who will spend the rest of the season on loan in Germany - quickly rediscover his form. 

    He scored twice in his first game back, a 3-1 triumph over Schalke, and while unable to find the net as a substitute against Freiburg, he was on the scoresheet once more on Saturday.  

    On as a second-half substitute once again, Jovic rounded out the scoring for Adi Hutter's in-form side as they thrashed Arminia Bielefeld 5-1 on the road.  

    It means the former Benfica player has now managed three goals from four attempts in just 76 minutes of action for Eintracht - and he is also having a big impact on one of his team-mates.

    Filip Kostic provided two assists against Bielefeld and, according to Hutter, has been rejuvenated by the arrival of his countryman.

    "I do think that his improvement has a lot to do with the return of Luka, because they got along really well and are friends off the pitch, as well as in the Serbia national team," Hutter told the media. 

    "So, I think that played a part in it, too. But I felt that when Luka came, Filip's confidence went up a lot." 

    Andre Silva was the beneficiary of Kostic's work, the Portuguese forward grabbing a first-half brace to take his tally to 14 in 18 league games, equalling a club record previously set by Theofanis Gekas. 

    "We worked hard for this win and we deserved it," Silva said. "I was in the right place with the first goal, and with the second I hit the ball really well.  

    "Luka is a great player. We can get even better together and help the team even more."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.