Lewis Hamilton looks unstoppable already after dominating Barcelona testing session

By Sports Desk February 19, 2020

World champion Lewis Hamilton showed ominous speed in his Mercedes on day one of testing for the new Formula One season in Barcelona.

The British driver led a Mercedes one-two on the time sheets as Valtteri Bottas was second quickest, while Ferrari's plans were hindered when Sebastian Vettel pulled out of the session through illness.

Hamilton came to Barcelona from Berlin, after being voted a world sportsman of the year at the Laureus Awards, and the six-time F1 drivers' championship winner was swiftly up to pace in the new W11 model.

He clocked a fastest lap of one minute and 16.976 seconds, which put him 0.377secs clear of Bottas and 0.399s ahead of Racing Point's Sergio Perez.

Another title this season would see 35-year-old Hamilton match German great Michael Schumacher's record haul of seven triumphs.

Charles Leclerc was down in 11th place for Ferrari but put in 131 laps in the new SF1000 car as the Monegasque driver went it alone for the Italian team, with Vettel sidelined.

Hamilton completed 94 laps in the afternoon, with Bottas notching up 79 in the morning, but their combined total of 173 laps for Mercedes was almost passed single-handedly by Red Bull's Max Verstappen, who achieved 168 circuits.

Verstappen span off the track twice during the afternoon. Alex Albon will take the wheel of the Red Bull on Thursday.

"It's been a good day and a really good start for all of us, considering we had a long break," said Hamilton. "So to come back and clock in over 170 laps just shows how hard everyone has been working over the winter.

"We will just take it one step at a time, getting good feedback from the car. We have a lot of data to download and analyse and we’ve got to keep pushing on."

The first race of the 2020 season takes place in Melbourne, with the Australian Grand Prix scheduled for March 15.

Related items

  • Button returns to Williams as former champion lands new role Button returns to Williams as former champion lands new role

    Jenson Button has returned to Williams in a senior advisory role after agreeing a multi-year deal.

    Button was given his Formula One break by Williams 21 years ago when he was handed a drive for the 2000 season.

    The 41-year-old Briton went on to be crowned F1 world champion during his time with Brawn in 2009 and retired in 2016 with 15 race victories to his name.

    Button now returns to Williams, who were sold to American private investment firm Dorilton Capital last year as the Williams family ended their 43-year-old involvement in F1.

    He will be tasked with passing on his experience at grands prix, while also attending team events in the United Kingdom.

    Englishman Button said: "I am so delighted to once again be able to say that I've signed for Williams. Back when I was 19 it was a moment that changed my life and, despite the fact it was over 20 years ago, I already feel like I never really left.

    "Sir Frank Williams showed faith in me which I will be eternally grateful for and I am incredibly excited to have the chance to come back and help the team as it strives once more for success."

    Incoming Williams Racing chief executive Jost Capito said: "Bringing Jenson back on board is another positive step to help us move forward as a team both on and off track. Jenson has always been a friend of the team and so it is great to welcome him back into the Williams family.

    "Back in 2000, Sir Frank saw the promising talent Jenson had as a driver and gave him his first opportunity in F1. He more than fulfilled that initial promise throughout a glittering career that culminated in world championship glory.

    "More recently, he has shown his acumen in both the business and broadcasting worlds and remains a widely respected figure in the paddock."

  • Alpine appoint ex-Suzuki boss Brivio as racing director Alpine appoint ex-Suzuki boss Brivio as racing director

    Alpine have appointed Davide Brivio, the former boss of MotoGP team Suzuki Ecstar, as their racing director.

    Renault announced the departure of team principal Cyril Abiteboul on Monday ahead of their rebrand to Alpine for the 2021 Formula One campaign, and now they have added new blood.

    Brivio was linked to F1 after quitting his post with Suzuki Ecstar, who won the team and rider championships in last year's MotoGP season.

    An Alpine statement read: "Davide Brivio joins Alpine F1 Team as racing director.

    "We are delighted to confirm Davide Brivio will strengthen our team ahead of the 2021 Formula One season. His specific role and responsibilities will be announced in the coming weeks.

    "Davide will report to the Alpine CEO Laurent Rossi.

    "Davide joins Alpine F1 Team with a wealth of experience and success following more than 20 years in the MotoGP world championship.

    "We look forward to welcoming Davide as we start the next stage of our Formula One journey."

    Alpine's driver line-up is made up of Frenchman Esteban Ocon and former two-time champion Fernando Alonso.

  • Ferrari driver Leclerc tests positive for coronavirus Ferrari driver Leclerc tests positive for coronavirus

    Ferrari driver Charles Leclerc has tested positive for coronavirus, the team have confirmed.

    The 23-year-old was already isolating having been in close contact with someone who had contracted COVID-19.

    Ferrari said Leclerc is isolating at home in Monaco and is displaying mild symptoms.

    A team statement read: "Scuderia Ferrari Mission Winnow driver Charles Leclerc has tested positive for COVID-19.

    "In accordance with the team's protocols, Charles is tested regularly and yesterday, the result from his latest test came back positive. 

    "Charles notified us immediately and has informed everyone he has been in close contact with in the last few days.

    "He is currently feeling ok with mild symptoms and is now self-isolating at home in Monaco."

    Leclerc added on his Instagram stories: "Hello guys. I hope you are all staying safe.

    "I want to let you know that I have tested positive for COVID-19. I am regularly checked according to my team's protocols.

    "Unfortunately, I learned that I have been in contact with a positive case and immediately went into self-isolation, notifying anyone I had contact with. A subsequent test I took has come back positive.

    "I am feeling okay and have mild symptoms. I will remain in isolation in my home in Monaco in compliance with the regulations set by the local health authorities.

    "Stay safe and take care."

    World champion Lewis Hamilton tested positive towards the end of the 2020 F1 season, while Lance Stroll and Sergio Perez have also previously missed time due to coronavirus.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.