Wolff not relishing Mercedes contract talks with F1 superstar Lewis Hamilton

By Sports Desk February 14, 2020

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff admits he is not looking forward to new contract discussions with Lewis Hamilton because of their close relationship.

Formula One champion Hamilton, who will target a record-equalling seventh title in 2020, is in the final 12 months of his existing deal.

Most signs point to him staying beyond the new season, despite Hamilton reportedly chasing a hefty pay rise.

He is said to be looking for an increase of around 50 per cent on what is reputed to be a £40million annual salary.

Team principal Wolff said: "The dynamic is very good, we've known each other for such a long time and have the greatest respect for each other.

"Lewis is very aware of where we are as a team and where we are as a motor company.

"Overall, these discussions, we don't like them because we are friends and very close to each other on this joint journey, but it's part of the job."

Wolff said Hamilton and Mercedes will both have ideas about the driver's value.

Hamilton has been linked with Ferrari in the past, but the Italian team have said they are focused on keeping the partnership of Sebastian Vettel and Charles Leclerc for the foreseeable future.

Ahead of the contract talks, Hamilton was quick to praise Wolff's influence, telling Sky Sports: "He's an incredible businessman. I learnt a lot from this man and it's always an exciting moment - it's a real privilege that they want me to stay and be part of a great team, that's a great feeling.

"I hope I can continue to help contribute to the team's success."

The team's new car - officially titled the Mercedes-AMG F1 W11 EQ Performance - was revealed on Friday at Silverstone.

Hamilton and team-mate Valtteri Bottas had the opportunity to take to the track, with the Brit describing the car, which includes a host of technical updates to the 2019 edition, as "a new piece of art".

There are changes to impact tubes, suspension and its aerodynamic make-up feature, and Bottas is optimistic he can challenge for the title.

While Hamilton is chasing Michael Schumacher's haul of seven titles, Bottas wants a first, and last year's second-placed finish in the championship fills him with optimism.

Bottas told Sky Sports: "I have no doubt Lewis will want to win the championship again and break records, but I need to focus on my own thing.

"Last year was really encouraging because I managed to improve lots of my weaknesses.

"I have good confidence; I know I can do it. It's for me to be at my best level, keep improving and keep learning. It's so good to start at zero again and see what happens."

Related items

  • New Mercedes steering system set to be banned from 2021 New Mercedes steering system set to be banned from 2021

    Mercedes' radical 'dual axis steering' system looks set to be banned from Formula One in the 2021 season.

    The constructors' champions introduced the new technology - also known by his acronym 'DAS' - at this week's testing session in Barcelona.

    Discussions over its eye-catching appearance and effect are set to continue into the 2020 campaign, with Mercedes looking to have developed a new tool to push the team even further forward at least in the short term.

    World champion Lewis Hamilton was shown on his car's on-board camera to be adjusting his steering column in practice, pulling it towards him and pushing it away.

    That was said to result in small changes to the toe angle of the wheels - their alignment when the steering is set straight - and Mercedes technical director James Allison has said DAS offers drivers "an extra dimension of control".

    However, amid a slew of changes to Formula One's rules that will come into effect next year, there are defined restrictions on steering mechanisms.

    The 2021 rules state: "The re-alignment of the steered wheels, as defined by the position of the inboard attachment of the relevant suspensions members that remain a fixed distance from each other, must be uniquely defined by a monotonic function of the rotational position of a single steering wheel."

    The BBC reported on Friday that Michael Masi, race director of governing body the FIA, confirmed the rule amendment would affect DAS.

    Masi is quoted as saying on the BBC Sport website: "We will see what teams can come up with within those boundaries of what the regulations are written for in 2021

  • Hamilton yet to open contract talks with Mercedes Hamilton yet to open contract talks with Mercedes

    Lewis Hamilton revealed he was yet to begin contract talks with Mercedes as the world champion focuses on preparations for the 2020 Formula One season.

    The six-time world champion is out of contract at the end of this season, which begins in Australia next month.

    But Hamilton, who has been linked with a move to Ferrari, is in no rush to open talks with Mercedes.

    "We haven't sat down. I know Toto [Wolff, Mercedes team principal] is keen to, but right now the focus is on trying to make sure I am fit and ready for the season ahead as it ramps up," Hamilton said at pre-season testing on Thursday.

    "You want to start on the front foot so it is not something I really get bogged down with at this period of time."

    Hamilton has won five championships since joining Mercedes in 2013, including the past three to move within one of Michael Schumacher's record of seven.

    The 35-year-old Brit said there would be more to talks than just the rest of his driving career.

    "People talk about freedom as if it is a bad thing, but it is not at all. Mercedes have allowed me to be who I want to be rather than keep me constricted and ask me to speak a certain way or dress a certain way," Hamilton said.

    "There were question marks over all the different things I do, but everyone can see the results I have had over the last two years. The flexibility helps me to be more engaged and an even better driver than I thought I could be.

    "It is now about trying to figure out what the next five-to-10-year plan is, and how the decision I make now will impact the future.

    "Does it allow me to put certain things in place so that, when I hang up my helmet, I am able to continue to pursue other interests? That will be in the small print of what we agree and what we will mostly be talking about."

  • Newman released from hospital after Daytona horror crash Newman released from hospital after Daytona horror crash

    Ryan Newman has been released from hospital less than two days after he was in a serious condition following a horror crash at the Daytona 500.

    The Roush Fenway Racing driver was hospitalised after his car ploughed into a wall and caught fire before being hit by another car for a second time on Monday.

    Newman's condition was initially described as serious, but not life-threatening and the 42-year-old's team on Tuesday revealed that he was awake and speaking with family and doctors.

    There was another positive update on his condition on Wednesday, revealing he "continues great improvement".

    Roush Fenway later posted a picture of Newman with his children leaving Halifax Medical Center in Daytona Beach, Florida.

    A brief statement from the team simply said: "Ryan Newman has been treated and released from Halifax Medical Center."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.