MLB

Abreu signs $50million, three-year White Sox deal

By Sports Desk November 22, 2019

All-Star first baseman Jose Abreu has signed a new three-year, $50million deal with the Chicago White Sox.

Abreu last week agreed an initial $17.8m one-year contract extension, but that was expected to be extended.

The White Sox on Friday announced that the 32-year-old has committed to a deal that will earn him $11m next year, $16m in 2021 and $18m 2022.

Abreu will also receive a $5m signing bonus and $4m in deferred payments.

The Cuban led the American League with 123 RBIs this year, batting .284 with 38 doubles, 33 homers and 85 runs over 159 matches.

"I have to give a special thank you to [White Sox owner] Jerry Reinsdorf and all the people involved with the White Sox who made this possible," said Abreu."This is a dream come true for me and my family.

"To the fans, I told you I would come back. I never doubted it. Everybody knows the group of talented players that we have, and I want to help guide them and together make the Chicago White Sox a championship team."

Abreu's new contract was confirmed a day after the White Sox signed free-agent catcher Yasmani Grandal to a four-year contract.

Related items

  • Yankees GM 'very optimistic' Judge will be ready for opening day Yankees GM 'very optimistic' Judge will be ready for opening day

    New York Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said he is very optimistic slugger Aaron Judge will be ready to play when the abbreviated MLB season starts in late July. 

    Judge reported pain in his right shoulder and pectoral muscle just before spring training began and it was later revealed that he had since recovered from a collapsed lung. 

    The two-time All-Star did not play in any spring training games. 

    That came after Judge was diagnosed with a stress fracture in his first right rib in early March, an injury the Yankees believed dated back to an attempted catch on September 18. 

    Judge received pain-killing injections and played through the 2019 postseason, batting .265 (9-for-34) with one home run and two RBIs in nine games.  

    The 28-year-old originally said he was optimistic he would be ready by opening day on March 26 against the Baltimore Orioles prior to the coronavirus pandemic, but the Yankees later said they felt that was unlikely.

    "We are very optimistic as of right now that maybe his proximation that he would be ready on opening day and in the lineup will ring true," Cashman said on Tuesday.

    "So now it comes down to game reps and facing live pitching and seeing if he's in game shape."

    Due to the COVID-19 crisis, the Yankees are reported to open the season on the road against World Series champions the Washington Nationals on July 23.  

    Judge has batted .273 with 110 homers and 246 RBIs in 396 career games but has dealt with various injuries the past two seasons.  

  • Rockies OF Desmond opts out of MLB season Rockies OF Desmond opts out of MLB season

    Colorado Rockies outfielder Ian Desmond said on Monday he will opt out of the upcoming MLB season to be with his family and to support the community in his hometown of Sarasota, Florida.

    Desmond made the announcement in an eloquent Instagram post in which he cited several other factors in his decision, including racism and baseball's lack of access to underprivileged youth in many major cities. The 11-year veteran is biracial.

    "The COVID-19 pandemic has made this baseball season one that is a risk I am not comfortable taking," Desmond wrote.

    "With a pregnant wife and four young children who have lots of questions about what's going on in the world, home is where I need to be right now. Home for my wife, Chelsey. Home to help. Home to guide. Home to answer my older three boys' questions about Coronavirus and Civil Rights and life. Home to be their Dad."

    Desmond added that he will also be spending time volunteering at the Little League program in Sarasota where he played as a youth.

    "That doesn't mean I'm leaving baseball behind for the year. I'll be right here, at my old Little League, and I'm working with everyone involved to make sure we get Sarasota Youth Baseball back on track. It's what I can do, in the scheme of so much," he wrote.

    The two-time All-Star, who hit .255 with 20 home runs and 65 RBIs in 140 games for Colorado last season, would have earned just over $5.5million of his prorated $15m salary had he chosen to play in 2020.

    Desmond is the fourth player to declare he will be skipping the season. Washington Nationals infielder Ryan Zimmerman and team-mate Joe Ross announced their intentions earlier on Monday along with Arizona Diamondbacks pitcher Mike Leake.

  • Nationals duo Zimmerman and Ross join Arizona's Leake in opting out of MLB season Nationals duo Zimmerman and Ross join Arizona's Leake in opting out of MLB season

    Washington Nationals pair Ryan Zimmerman and Joe Ross have joined Arizona Diamondbacks pitcher Mike Leake in opting out of the 2020 MLB season.

    Zimmerman and Ross, who both won World Series rings with the Nationals in 2019, and veteran Leake will not play due to concerns over the coronavirus pandemic.

    The 2020 MLB regular season is scheduled to begin on July 23 or 24 and has been shortened to 60 games because of the COVID-19 crisis and bitter negotiations between the league and the players' union. 

    In a statement, Washington's general manager Mike Rizzo said: "Ryan Zimmerman and Joe Ross have decided not to participate in the 2020 season for the personal health and safety of themselves and their loved ones. 

    "We are 100 per cent supportive of their decision to not play this year. We will miss their presence in the clubhouse and their contributions on the field."

    Zimmerman, 35, explained his decision was motivated by family and he had not definitely decided to retire from the sport.

    "After a great deal of thought and given my family circumstances - three young children, including a newborn, and a mother at high risk - I have decided not to participate in the 2020 season," he said in a statement released through agency CAA.

    "Everyone knows how much it means to me to be part of a team, and I will miss that camaraderie dearly this year. Of course, I would love to pursue back-to-back titles. I cannot speak for anyone else, but given the unusual nature of the season, this is the best decision for me and my family, and I truly appreciate the organisation's understanding and support.

    "To be clear, I am not retiring at this time. I have not decided on my future in baseball past 2020. But this year I'll be staying safe at home and pulling as hard as anyone for the guys to defend our championship."

    Zimmerman and Ross followed in the footsteps of Leake, whose agent Danny Horwits confirmed he was the first player to publicly opt out.

    Leake had been in consideration for a spot in the back end of Arizona's starting rotation that includes Robbie Ray, Merrill Kelly and the newly acquired Madison Bumgarner.

    The Diamondbacks acquired Leake from the Seattle Mariners at last season's trade deadline, and the veteran right-hander is scheduled to be a free agent next offseason.

    Leake broke his left wrist during spring training in February, but he has since recovered and appears more concerned with protecting his family from COVID-19.

    "During this global pandemic, Mike and his family had many discussions about playing this season," the statement said. "They took countless factors into consideration, many of which are personal to him and his family.

    "This was not an easy decision for Mike. He wishes the best of luck and health to his Diamondback team-mates this season and he's looking forward to 2021."

    Leake has a career record of 105-98 in 296 starts with a 4.05 ERA, playing for the Cincinnati Reds, San Francisco Giants, St Louis Cardinals, Mariners and Diamondbacks.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.