Rugby World Cup 2019: Wales coach Howley sent home over alleged betting breach

By Sports Desk September 17, 2019

Wales backs coach Rob Howley has been sent home from the Rugby World Cup over an alleged breach of betting regulations.

The Welsh Rugby Union (WRU) confirmed Howley has returned to Wales six days before the team's opening World Cup match against Georgia in order to "assist with an investigation in relation to a potential breach of World Rugby regulation 6, specifically betting on rugby union".

A WRU statement said: "The decision was taken to act immediately in light of recent information passed to the WRU.

"No further details can be provided at this stage as this would prejudice the investigation. If required an independent panel will be appointed to hear the case.

"Rob has co-operated fully with our initial discussions and we would ask that the media appreciate this is a difficult and personal matter for Rob and that his privacy is respected before an outcome is reached.

"Warren Gatland has consulted with senior players and Stephen Jones will be arriving in Japan imminently to link up with the squad as attack coach."

Howley has been a key member of Gatland's backroom staff and oversaw their 2013 Six Nations success while the New Zealander was on a British and Irish Lions sabbatical.

The former Wasps scrum-half was part of Gatland's coaching team when the Lions triumphed in Australia in 2013 and drew a series against the All Blacks four years later.

The 48-year-old will leave his role with Wales when Gatland departs after the World Cup and had been touted as a potential replacement for Conor O'Shea as Italy boss.

Related items

  • Rugby World Cup 2019: France lock Vahaamahina announces retirement a day after Wales red card Rugby World Cup 2019: France lock Vahaamahina announces retirement a day after Wales red card

    France lock Sebastien Vahaamahina has announced his retirement from Test rugby, just 24 hours after he received a costly red card in his country's Rugby World Cup quarter-final loss to Wales.

    Les Bleus' run in Japan ended on Sunday when Warren Gatland's team edged a tight encounter 20-19.

    France were leading 19-10 when Vahaamahina was dismissed nine minutes into the second half for elbowing Aaron Wainwright, and the 14 men were unable to hang on as Wales avenged their 2011 semi-final loss to the same opponents.

    Vahaamahina, 28, has now sent a message to Eurosport Rugbyrama saying he is walking away from international rugby, a decision he claims he reached earlier this year.

    "It's hard, very hard for me today - especially because, as I have planned for several months, it was my last match with the national team," he said.

    "I hadn't made a public announcement of my retirement but the people impacted by the decision have known since the summer: [France coach] Jacques Brunel, [Clermont Auvergne coach] Franck Azema and several of the players.

    "I wanted to have the best possible match and tournament to finish on... perhaps I wanted it too much. My desire and my aggression got the better of me."

    The lock received his marching orders from referee Jaco Peyper, who is now the subject of a World Rugby investigation after he appeared to mock the man he dismissed in a picture taken with Wales fans.

    A photo circulated on social media of Peyper with his elbow raised to a fan's chin.

    France Rugby Federation vice-president Serge Simon demanded an explanation from the South African official.

    He tweeted: "This photo if it is true is shocking and explanations will be necessary."

    World Rugby confirmed they are looking into the matter.

    "World Rugby is aware of a picture on social media of referee Jaco Peyper with a group of Wales fans taken after last night's [Sunday's] quarter-final between Wales and France in Oita," the governing body said.

    "It would be inappropriate to comment further while we are establishing the facts."

  • Rugby World Cup 2019: Semi-finalists England and South Africa climb in world rankings Rugby World Cup 2019: Semi-finalists England and South Africa climb in world rankings

    The Rugby World Cup semi-finals will feature the top four teams in world rugby after the rankings were updated following the quarter-finals.

    England and South Africa, courtesy of their convincing wins over Australia and hosts Japan respectively, both climbed one place.

    Eddie Jones' side moved above Wales into second, behind defending world champions New Zealand - who England face on Saturday - and the Springboks leapfrogged Ireland.

    Six Nations champions Wales beat France 20-19, though even a larger margin of victory would not have kept them from dropping down to third.

    Japan had risen to their highest ever ranking after Australia's defeat to England, but the Wallabies moved back into sixth after the Brave Blossoms' loss to South Africa.

    France are seventh, with Japan eighth, ahead of Scotland and Argentina, who complete the top 10.

    Despite their exit at the hands of South Africa, Japan have won over many fans at the World Cup, with coach Jamie Joseph believing his side are well on their way to becoming a top-five team.

    "The team has worked incredibly hard for three years, and this year we worked harder than we've worked ever before," Joseph told a news conference.

    "That's put us in a really good position to strive for our goals, which is making the top five in the world."

  • Rugby World Cup 2019: Wales lose Navidi to hamstring injury Rugby World Cup 2019: Wales lose Navidi to hamstring injury

    Wales will be without Josh Navidi for the rest of their Rugby World Cup campaign after the back-rower sustained a hamstring injury in the quarter-final win over France.

    Warren Gatland's side secured their place in the last four with a dramatic 20-19 victory over Les Bleus, who had Sebastien Vahaamahina sent off.

    Navidi had overtaken Ross Moriarty as Wales' first-choice number eight in Japan but was forced off during the first half on Sunday.

    Gatland - who plans to bring in a back, rather than another forward to replace the Cardiff Blues player - has confirmed Navidi's World Cup is over.

    "He'll be ruled out. He's no good," Gatland, whose side will face South Africa in the last four, told a news conference on Monday.

    "We'll be looking to bring in a replacement tomorrow [Tuesday], but we've got to go through that process.

    "It's disappointing for him. We'll keep him out here. It will be nice for him to stay out for the next couple of weeks. 

    "It's disappointing for us to have a player ruled out. In saying that, these games are so physical to have only lost one player is a real positive for us.

    "We've been pretty lucky. We're trying to keep everyone as healthy as we possibly can."

    Jonathan Davies missed the quarter-final due to a knee injury, but Gatland is hopeful the centre will be available for selection on Sunday.

    "He was touch and go for the weekend. He's been doing rehab and recovery," Gatland said of Davies.

    "Hopefully he'll be up and running for a very light session tomorrow. We'll be doing more of the rugby on Wednesday. Hopefully he's fit and available."

    Gatland claimed "the best side lost" following Wales' victory over France, but the outgoing coach was satisfied with his side's resilience and strength of character. 

    "We're a bit disappointed about the performance. France played exceptionally well," he added. "I thought we showed some great character and got the win.

    "Disappointed with a few aspects but looking forward it's about being excited about the semi-final of a World Cup."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.