Giants' Sandoval to undergo Tommy John surgery

By Sports Desk August 24, 2019

Pablo Sandoval's season with the San Francisco Giants will be cut short for a second consecutive year due to an elbow injury.

Sandoval – a two-time MLB All-Star and three-time World Series champion – will undergo Tommy John surgery in the first week of September, the Giants announced on Saturday.

The 2012 World Series MVP, who was evaluated by a doctor in Los Angeles earlier this week, was placed on the 10-day injured list on August 14 after an unsuccessful cortisone injection he received just days prior.

Sandoval has had issues with his elbow since 2013, dealing with bone chips but it never kept the 33-year-old off the field for a long period of time.

He missed the last portion of the 2018 season with a hamstring injury and was having one of the better offensive years in his 12-year career in 2019.

Sandoval slashed .269/.314/.509 with 14 home runs this season.

He also tied a franchise record for most pinch hits (18) in a single season.​

Related items

  • MLB not planning to strip Astros and Red Sox of titles MLB not planning to strip Astros and Red Sox of titles

    MLB does not intend to strip the Houston Astros and Boston Red Sox of their World Series titles as a result of the sign-stealing scandal.

    An investigation found the Astros had stolen signs en route to their 2017 championship.

    Houston fired general manager Jeff Luhnow and manager A.J. Hinch after the pair were suspended, while the Red Sox - the 2018 champions - parted ways with manager Alex Cora.

    Cora had been bench coach for the Astros before leading Boston to the title, and an investigation into the Red Sox is ongoing.

    However, MLB commissioner Rob Manfred, speaking for the first time since the investigation, suggested it would be difficult to alter past World Series results at this stage.

    The Los Angeles Dodgers were beaten on both occasions, yet Manfred insists it cannot be assumed they would have otherwise won.

    "Well, we haven't concluded our investigation with the Red Sox," Manfred told FOX Business.

    "So, it's a little hard to take the trophy away from somebody who hasn't yet been found to do something wrong. We don't know what the outcome of that's going to be.

    "The second flaw is whatever the impact of the sign stealing was, it could've changed who was in the World Series. It is absolutely unclear that the Dodgers would've been the World Series champion.

    "I think there's a long tradition in baseball of not trying to change what happened.

    "I think the answer from our prospective is to be transparent about what the investigation showed, and let our fans make their own decision about what happened."

  • Jeter and Walker voted into Baseball Hall of Fame Jeter and Walker voted into Baseball Hall of Fame

    New York Yankees great Derek Jeter was voted into the Baseball Hall of Fame alongside Larry Walker on Tuesday.

    Jeter featured on the ballot for the first time and fell one vote short of becoming the second inductee to achieve unanimous selection, behind former team-mate Mariano Rivera.

    A five-time World Series champion, Jeter spent his entire career with the Yankees after making his MLB debut in 1995.

    He was an All-Star on 14 occasions and won five Gold Gloves before retiring at the end of the 2014 season.

    Rivera, inducted in 2019, said: "Derek prided himself on being a consistent presence. No moment was too big. He was fearless and he was the type of leader we knew we could count on year after year.

    "I feel so fortunate that he was a team-mate and friend for my entire career and I congratulate him on this great honour."

    Canadian right fielder Walker, who starred for the Montreal Expos, Colorado Rockies and St Louis Cardinals, narrowly surpassed the 75 per cent voting threshold required for Hall of Fame selection in his 10th and final year of selection eligibility.

    The induction ceremony will take place on July 26 in Cooperstown, New York, home to the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum.

  • Astros will be in World Series again – Altuve bullish after sign-stealing scandal Astros will be in World Series again – Altuve bullish after sign-stealing scandal

    Houston Astros star Jose Altuve is adamant the embattled franchise "will be fine" and will be in the World Series again after the sign-stealing scandal.

    The Astros sacked general manager Jeff Luhnow and manager A.J. Hinch after the duo were suspended following an MLB investigation into allegations of sign stealing.

    Luhnow and Hinch were given year-long bans by MLB while Houston were fined $5million and have been forced to forfeit their first and second-round picks in the 2020 and 2021 drafts.

    In a statement, MLB commissioner Rob Manfred said the Astros were warned about the league's policies on sign stealing in September 2017 and "took no action" to comply with these during their run to a maiden World Series title later that season.

    But on Saturday, 2017 American League MVP Altuve told reporters: "Believe me, in the end of the year, everything will be fine.

    "We're going to be in the World Series again. People don't believe it, we will. We will. We made it last year, we were one game away of winning it all."

    Altuve – a six-time All-Star and 2015 Gold Glove winner – added: "I have two options. One is cry, and one is go down and play the game and [perform] and help my team. And you know what one I am going to do."

    "It's a tough situation, and as a team, we have to stay together and go through this as a team like we've been doing, always," added five-time Silver Slugger Altuve.

    "We have to talk about it at spring training and try not to let things in the past distract us for next year."

     

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.