NFL

Coronavirus: Patriots WR Lee, Jets LB Mosley opt out of NFL season

By Sports Desk August 01, 2020

New England Patriots wide receiver Marqise Lee and New York Jets linebacker C.J. Mosley have both decided to sit out the 2020 NFL season due to coronavirus concerns.  

Lee, who signed a one-year contract with the Patriots in April, became a first-time father in February and said protecting his daughter and family is the reason for his decision. 

"This is a big sit-down process I had, with me and my significant other, as far as family goes," Lee told ESPN.

"The risk factor in which we believe that's going to be there, it just wasn't worth it in a sense. Just too many unknowns.

"We knew New England, honestly, had a great system in place. But I told coach [Bill Belichick], at the end of the day, I wouldn't be doing him justice going out there because I wouldn't be able to give him my all knowing my family was back at the house worrying about their situation."

Mosley – the highest-paid player on the Jets – also cited family health reasons for his decision. He is in the second year of a five-year, $85million contract he signed with the Jets in March 2019 after five seasons with the Baltimore Ravens.  

Mosley played just two games last season after suffering a groin injury in the season opener against the Buffalo Bills. He returned an interception for a touchdown in that game. 

Mosley said in June that he was cleared for training camp.  

Lee joins linebacker Dont'a Hightower, safety Patrick Chung, tackle Marcus Cannon, running back Brandon Bolden, fullback Danny Vitale and offensive lineman Najee Toran as Patriots players choosing to sit out this season. 

Lee spent the first six years of his career with the Jacksonville Jaguars but missed the entire 2018 season after suffering a torn anterior cruciate ligament (ACL), medial collateral ligament (MCL) and posterior cruciate ligament (PCL) in his left knee during the preseason.

He appeared in six games last season with three receptions for 18 yards. 

Related items

  • Man Utd left-back Telles tests positive for coronavirus Man Utd left-back Telles tests positive for coronavirus

    Manchester United left-back Alex Telles has tested positive for coronavirus, it was confirmed on Wednesday.

    Telles, who arrived at United from Porto for a reported £15.4million (€17m) earlier this month, made his debut for the club in last week's Champions League win over Paris Saint-Germain.

    The 27-year-old has since missed two matches, including Wednesday's 5-0 thrashing of RB Leipzig at Old Trafford.

    United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer subsequently confirmed Telles had contracted COVID-19, but was feeling fine.

    "Telles has tested positive for coronavirus so he's been out for a few days," he told a news conference.

    "No symptoms though, so he'll be fine. Back soon."

    Top of Group H in the Champions League but 15th in the Premier League, United host Arsenal on Sunday.

  • Seahawks strengthen with trade for Dunlap Seahawks strengthen with trade for Dunlap

    Carlos Dunlap's long association with the Cincinnati Bengals has come to an end after he was traded to the Seattle Seahawks.

    Defensive end Dunlap was in his 11th season with the Bengals, the team who drafted him in the second round back in 2010. 

    However, the 31-year-old was rumoured to be frustrated by his role within the defense this season, leading to him reportedly being told to remain at home on Wednesday. 

    The Seahawks - who have a 5-1 record but allowed opposing teams to average 28.7 per game against them - have sent offensive lineman B.J. Finney and a seventh-round pick in the 2021 draft to get Dunlap, who has two years remaining on his contract.

    "Carlos had many fine seasons here and showed rare physical talent that took him to multiple Pro Bowls," Bengals president Mike Brown said in a statement.  

    "I will always remember the role he played as a key part of exceptional defenses that we rode to the playoffs year after year. There are a lot of fond memories I have of Carlos, and I wish him well."

    Dunlap played 155 times for the Bengals - starting in 115 of them - and recorded 525 tackles and 82.5 sacks.

    Meanwhile, defensive tackle Dontari Poe and cornerback Daryl Worley have been released by the Dallas Cowboys.

    It is the latest roster move by the struggling Cowboys, who sent Everson Griffen to the Detroit Lions for a conditional draft pick on Tuesday.

  • Vikings confirm season-ending surgery for Hunter Vikings confirm season-ending surgery for Hunter

    Danielle Hunter will not play at all in the 2020 NFL season after the Minnesota Vikings announced the defensive end has undergone neck surgery.

    The two-time Pro Bowler was hurt in a non-padded practice in August and was placed on injured reserve with an undisclosed injury.

    Hunter had already missed the team's first six games and head coach Mike Zimmer confirmed on Wednesday that the Vikings will continue to be without the 25-year-old for the remainder of the campaign.

    "Danielle Hunter had successful neck surgery yesterday," Zimmer told the media. "Looking forward to his rehab – [the surgery] went well."

    Zimmer also revealed Hunter is expected to make a full recovery and be ready for offseason activities.

    In 78 career games since he was selected in the third round of the 2015 draft, Hunter has registered 54.5 sacks and six forced fumbles for Minnesota.

    His performances saw him make the Pro Bowl in 2018 and 2019, with the Vikings handing him a long-term extension two years ago, the five-year deal reportedly worth $72million.

    Minnesota have a 1-5 record this season, leaving them bottom of the NFC North. Despite only acquiring him in August, the franchise recently traded defensive end Yannick Ngakoue to the Baltimore Ravens.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.