NFL

Patriots announce reduced capacity and preliminary protocols

By Sports Desk July 14, 2020

The New England Patriots on Tuesday became the latest NFL team to announce they will host significantly reduced-capacity crowds at home games this season, pending state and local government approval. 

The team said they plan to play in front of about 20 per cent capacity if fans are allowed in Gillette Stadium this season.

The Patriots also said fans would be required to wear masks at all times and adhere to social distancing of at least six feet.

The team earlier had said that parking for home games would be free at all Gillette Stadium lots, and all tickets would be mobile.

New England's first regular-season home game is scheduled for September 13 against the Miami Dolphins. The team's preseason schedule has not been finalised but it is likely that one of the two games will be at home if a preseason is held.

The Baltimore Ravens and Green Bay Packers are two of the teams that previously announced plans for reduced capacity at home games this season.

Related items

  • Prescott dreaming of retiring with Cowboys despite failing to agree new deal Prescott dreaming of retiring with Cowboys despite failing to agree new deal

    Dak Prescott is still dreaming of retiring with the Dallas Cowboys, despite failing to agree a new contract.

    Prescott will play the 2020 NFL season on a one-year exclusive franchise tender after the quarterback and Cowboys were unable to strike a deal on a long-term contract last month.

    The two-time Pro Bowler had already signed his tender offer and will earn approximately $31.4million for the upcoming season before becoming an unrestricted free agent, unless the Cowboys opt to again place the franchise tag on him – a move that would count over $37m towards the 2021 salary cap.

    Prescott, though, remains keen to see out his NFL career in Dallas.

    "I grew up wanting to be a Dallas Cowboy and I am, and I've got dreams of being a Dallas Cowboy until I'm done throwing the football," Prescott said in a conference call on Wednesday.

    "None of that's going to change just because we couldn't reach an agreement there for this season. But as I said, I'm a Cowboy right now and that's all that matters and that's my whole focus."

    Prescott was drafted by the Cowboys in 2016 and the 27-year-old has 1,363 completions for 15,778 yards and 97 touchdowns during his time in the league.

    "I'm not a guy that looks at my future, to be honest. I really don't," Prescott added. "I mean, I count my blessings every day. I walk in the day that I'm given and rejoice in it. I'm thankful for it.

    "It can sound cliche and whatever you want to make it, but I can't look at tomorrow without taking care of today and that's the way I've been throughout my life."

    Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones said: "We just couldn't get together at this particular point. It's easily worth nothing a lot of people this year in franchise mode didn't get together."

    "Dak and I had a great visit right at the deadline," Cowboys vice-president Stephen Jones said. "He's so fired up about our team and about our future. Ultimately now we're going to have to figure out how to get this done.

    "I'm more convinced than ever it will get done, but because of the moving parts we were dealing with the virus and some of the other deals, which were not down the middle in terms of being normal, it just made for some challenges."

  • Bills sign head coach McDermott to multi-year extension Bills sign head coach McDermott to multi-year extension

    Buffalo Bills head coach Sean McDermott has signed a multi-year contract extension.

    McDermott took over as head coach in 2017 and led the Bills to their first playoff berth since the 1999 season in his maiden campaign at the helm.

    They slumped to a 6-10 record in 2018 but rebounded with an impressive 10-6 season last year, losing in the Wild Card round in overtime to the Houston Texans.

    Buffalo are expected to contend for a first AFC East title since 1995 in the 2020 season and McDermott has been rewarded for the turnaround he has inspired.

    "Sean's leadership on and off the field has been nothing but genuine and transparent, qualities we appreciate as owners," co-owner Kim Pegula said in a statement.

    "He is the same great person to us, the players and everyone across all our organisations. We will never forget how impressed we were during his first interview.

    "Sean's attention to detail was apparent back then and his process-driven approach has brought great stability to our organisation. 

    "We are happy to extend his contract and keep him in Western New York for many years to come."

    McDermott's 25 wins in three seasons rank fifth in franchise history, with Marv Levy, Lou Saban, Chuck Knox, and Wade Phillips the only coaches to have won more games than him.

    The Bills are scheduled to open the 2020 season against the New York Jets on September 13.

  • Washington Football Team to play 2020 NFL season without fans at FedExField Washington Football Team to play 2020 NFL season without fans at FedExField

    The Washington Football Team will play home games at FedExField without fans in 2020.

    A decision taken with an "abundance of caution" was announced by the franchise on Wednesday as the United States continues to battle the coronavirus pandemic.

    The USA has been the country hardest hit by COVID-19 with over five million confirmed cases.

    A statement from Washington read: "With the health and safety of its fans and employees top of mind, the Washington Football Team announced today that NFL games at FedExField will be played without fans during the 2020 season.

    "While the organisation had developed a comprehensive health and safety plan in close coordination with the State of Maryland and Prince George's County (MD), this decision, endorsed by local officials and partners, comes out of an abundance of caution due to the rapidly changing dynamics of the COVID-19 pandemic.

    "The decision will be re-evaluated by all parties should the situation surrounding the pandemic improve over the course of the season."

    Owner Dan Snyder said: "We are fortunate to host the best fans in the NFL year after year, but the well-being of those supporters, along with that of our players, coaches and each and every member of our gameday staff is simply too important, and the current knowledge of COVID-19 too unpredictable, to welcome our fan base to FedExField to start the season.

    "We were the first team in the league to recall our scouts and other personnel from the field back in mid-March and have been monitoring this evolving situation ever since.

    "This decision was not an easy one, but after several discussions with federal, state and local officials – along with input from some of the nation's foremost medical experts, based right here in the nation's capital – we are confident that it is the right one.

    "We are working to find ways to make our fans' presence felt in new and innovative ways for 2020 and can't wait to welcome the community through the gates as soon as it's safe."

    Washington are scheduled to host the Philadelphia Eagles in their season opener on September 13.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.