NFL

Odell Beckham Jr.: I never said I'm not happy in Cleveland

By Sports Desk December 06, 2019

Odell Beckham Jr. may have admitted he was unsure of what the future holds, but the Browns receiver insisted that did not equate to unhappiness in Cleveland.

Former first-round pick Beckham was traded to the Browns by the New York Giants in the offseason but the three-time Pro Bowler has failed to live up to the hype.

He has caught just two touchdowns in 2019 and has gone six games without passing 100 yards receiving, a milestone he has only surpassed twice in 12 games.

With the Browns 5-7 and facing an uphill battle to make the postseason, Beckham was noncommittal when asked about his future on Thursday.

"What's the future hold? I don't know, I don't know the answers for that," he said at a news conference.

"Right now, I'm just taking it a day at a time, trying to finish healthy, trying to win these last four games and see what happens."

Beckham addressed the fallout from those comments on Friday, though he did not clarify if he wanted to remain a Brown beyond this season, with his contract in Cleveland running until 2023.

"Ok... I NEVER said I was not happy in Cleveland, just like everyone else I'm hopeful for better results. Period. Next story plzz," he wrote on Twitter.

Related items

  • I'm not worried about it - Rams CB Jalen Ramsey tired of contract talk I'm not worried about it - Rams CB Jalen Ramsey tired of contract talk

    Jalen Ramsey has no interest in repeatedly discussing his contract, with the Los Angeles Rams cornerback prepared to leave the matter firmly in his agent's hands.

    A year ago the three-time Pro Bowler turned up at the Jacksonville Jaguars training camp in an armoured money truck, a not-so-subtle nod to his wish to land a big contract.

    That was not forthcoming from the Jags, who instead shipped Ramsey to the Rams for two first-round picks and a fourth-rounder in October.

    His need for a new deal has not gone away, though, as the defensive back is beginning the final season of his five-year rookie contract, and with plenty of leverage given the haul the Rams parted with to land him.

    "I'm worried about what I can worry about," Ramsey told reporters. 

    "I'm controlling what I can control."

    However, as the questions continued, Ramsey grew increasingly frustrated.

    "I answered it. I said my agent and the front office, they gonna handle it," Ramsey added.

    "I'm worried about what I can worry about, I'm controlling what I can control.

    "Either accept the answer or keep it pushing. I don't want to be disrespectful, but that's the answer."

    The 25-year-old then walked out of his Zoom media session during a pause in questions before being convinced to return.

    At that point, he addressed his contract situation in greater depth, revealing he had informed his agent David Mulugheta to only call him when a deal had been reached.

    "I told y'all at the beginning of this, I said I'm controlling what I can control and when you asked me the question about my contract, I said I'm letting my agent, who is by far the best agent in the game, David Mulugheta, and the front office handle it," Ramsey added.

    "I can't do anything about it. I'm not worried about it. I'm trying to do my job as a football player. I'm trying to be a leader on the team, I'm not gonna do every Zoom session or however we gonna do them this year, talking about my contract. Look, if it comes, it comes. It's gonna be a surprise to me like it's gonna be a surprise to y'all.

    "I said, 'I want you to call me one time', I said, 'When my deal is done'. I said, 'When you feel like my deal is done, call me'. That's it'. 

    "I'm not worried about it. I'm worried about football."

  • Lions remove Stafford from reserve/COVID-19 list after false-positive test Lions remove Stafford from reserve/COVID-19 list after false-positive test

    Detroit Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford has been removed from the reserve/COVID-19 list, the NFL team announced on Tuesday.

    The Lions said Stafford returned a false-positive test following two negative coronavirus tests last week, while insisting the 2014 Pro Bowler never contracted COVID-19.

    Stafford was placed on the reserve/COVID-19 list on Saturday.

    "Today we removed Matthew Stafford from the COVID-IR list and onto the Active Roster," the Lions said in a statement.

    "As a result of a False-Positive test result, he was forced due to NFL/NFLPA protocols to sit out until he received two negative tests. His testing sequence for the Pre-Entry period was: negative, negative, False-Positive. The next three tests were all negative. 

    "To be clear, Matthew does NOT have COVID-19 and never has had COVID-19 and the test in question was a False-Positive. Also, all of Matthew's family have been tested and everyone is negative."

    The Lions are scheduled to open their 2020 season against the Chicago Bears on September 13.

  • Broncos star Von Miller considered sitting out NFL season Broncos star Von Miller considered sitting out NFL season

    Denver Broncos star Von Miller said he considered opting out of the 2020 NFL season due to coronavirus concerns.

    Miller – a Super Bowl champion and eight-time Pro Bowler – was among the highest profile American athletes to test positive for COVID-19 in April before being cleared of coronavirus two weeks later.

    However, the Broncos linebacker revealed he thought about sitting out the season, which is scheduled to begin in September.

    "I thought about it,'' the 31-year-old said on Tuesday. " ... I thought about all of my family, I took serious consideration and the things that could possibly happen.

    "It's not a 100 per cent bubble like basketball, so there are always going to be holes, but I felt like the job the Broncos were doing to keep us safe was enough for me not to opt out.''

    Miller, an asthma sufferer, added: "I did [have trouble], it was hard for me to get my wind back, probably for two or three weeks after the virus.

    "During the virus I lost a lot of weight -- everybody is not the same, but for me I lost my taste and smell, I couldn't really, like, eat and when you can't taste or smell you kind of lose your appetite ... It was tough, no doubt about it, it was tough.''

    "I just thought about it, I just really through about all the things that could possibly happen,'' Miller continued. "I thought about this season is different, I thought about -- I weighed the positives and negatives and just came to my own decision that I could play.

    "But I thought about me having asthma ... I feel like every player should do that, I feel like every player should think about everything they could do.''

    The Broncos are set to open their season against the Tennessee Titans on September 14.

     

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.