NFL

Saquon Barkley available to face Cardinals, says Giants coach Shurmur

By Sports Desk October 18, 2019

Saquon Barkley is available to face the Arizona Cardinals on Sunday, New York Giants coach Pat Shurmur confirmed to the media on Friday.

Running back Barkley has missed three games with an ankle injury but was a full participant in Wednesday's practice session, raising hopes of a return.

The 22-year-old suffered an ankle sprain in the first half of the Giants' Week 3 win over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and was initially thought to be out for between four and eight weeks.

Barkley rushed for team-high 227 yards, second in the NFL at the time, and had one rushing touchdown in two games at the start of the season.

However, he returned to practice on a limited basis last week and, while not cleared for the 35-14 loss to the New England Patriots, could feature against the Cardinals (2-3-1).

"He's available," Shurmur told reporters. "We'll see if he's back. If he is, he'll be ready to go. I just choose not to tell you right now."

The Giants (2-4) could also welcome back tight end Evan Engram and Barkley's fellow running back Wayne Gallman, with the duo also practicing fully on Friday.

However, wide receiver Sterling Shepard remains sidelined due to concussion and has been ruled out for Week 7.

Related items

  • Dak Prescott: Cowboys QB to donate $1m in response to George Floyd death Dak Prescott: Cowboys QB to donate $1m in response to George Floyd death

    Dallas Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott will pledge $1million to improve police training and address systemic racism through education and advocacy in the United States following the death of George Floyd. 

    Floyd died in police custody in Minneapolis last week, prompting demonstrations and riots across the United States and beyond. 

    Prescott commented on the situation with an Instagram post on Wednesday that started: "As a black multiracial American, I am disgusted and unsettled!"

    Prescott backed those protesting but does not believe looting or violence is the answer. 

    He said: "I have viewed these protests and riots in our streets as a form of strength and an attempt to show we as black people have rights that aren't being perceived equally as our counterparts."

    Prescott also had something to say to the "men and women that police our streets".

    "I have the utmost respect for those of you with a passion for protecting and serving your communities. When you chose to wear the badge of a police officer, you pledged to PROTECT life and property through the enforcement of our laws and regulations," he said.

    "How can you claim to uphold the law when those within your own ranks don't abide by it? You need to hold your own accountable!"

    Prescott said he is taking action with the donation and "will act alongside of all of you!"

    He added: "We will clean our streets and our communities not only of the looting and violence, but most importantly the racism, racial-profiling, and hate!"

  • Brees angers team-mate Thomas by saying kneeling is 'disrespecting the flag' Brees angers team-mate Thomas by saying kneeling is 'disrespecting the flag'

    Drew Brees has angered his team-mate Michael Thomas by saying he still does not approve of people kneeling in front of the American flag during the United States national anthem. 

    Colin Kaepernick began kneeling during the anthem in 2016 to protest against police brutality and racial inequality. 

    New Orleans Saints quarterback Brees takes offence to the gesture, which he believes is disrespectful to those in the military. 

    "I will never agree with anybody disrespecting the flag of the United States of America or our country," Brees said when asked about players kneeling in an interview with Yahoo Finance on Wednesday.

    "Let me just tell what I see or what I feel when the national anthem is played and when I look at the flag of the United States.

    "I envision my two grandfathers, who fought for this country during World War II, one in the Army and one in the Marine Corp. Both risking their lives to protect our country and to try to make our country and this world a better place. So every time I stand with my hand over my heart looking at that flag and singing the national anthem, that's what I think about."

    The 41-year-old does see a connection between the sacrifices made by those in the military and those fighting for civil rights, but still feels the flag should be respected. 

    “In many cases, that brings me to tears, thinking about all that has been sacrificed," he said. "Not just those in the military, but for that matter, those throughout the civil rights movements of the '60s, and all that has been endured by so many people up until this point. 

    "And is everything right with our country right now? No, it is not. We still have a long way to go. But I think what you do by standing there and showing respect to the flag with your hand over your heart, is it shows unity. It shows that we are all in this together, we can all do better and that we are all part of the solution."

    Brees' comments come a day after Blackout Tuesday, a day established to observe, mourn and bring policy change in the wake of the death of George Floyd, the African-American who died on May 25 while in the custody of police in Minneapolis, Minnesota. 

    Since Floyd's death, people have been protesting in several American cities, calling for an end of police brutality against minorities, and the NFL and the league’s teams are addressing ways of supporting and fighting for justice.

    Shortly after Brees' interview, Thomas took to Twitter to respond to his quarterback’s opinion. 

    "He don't know no better." Thomas wrote in one tweet.  

    He followed up a few minutes later with another message directed at Brees. 

    Thomas added: "We don't care if you don't agree and whoever else how about that."

    Brees then tried to clear the air with his team-mate and others criticising him.

    "I love and respect my team-mates and I stand right there with them in regards to fighting for racial equality and justice," Brees said in a statement to ESPN. "I also stand with my grandfathers who risked their lives for this country and countless other military men and women who do it on a daily basis."

  • Coronavirus: Cancer survivor James Conner unconcerned about playing amid pandemic Coronavirus: Cancer survivor James Conner unconcerned about playing amid pandemic

    Pittsburgh Steelers running back James Conner is unconcerned about returning to an NFL field, even though he may be more at risk of contracting coronavirus because of his cancer treatment.

    Conner, who was drafted by the Steelers in 2017, was diagnosed with Hodgkin lymphoma five years ago and overcame the disease in May 2016 after six months of chemotherapy.

    That illness and the following treatment would have weakened Conner's immune system, potentially putting him at more risk of suffering complications from COVID-19 should he get it.

    The medical director of the NFL Players Association has suggested there could be extra precautions for those with pre-existing conditions, such as different helmets and masks, yet Conner has no fears about stepping back onto the field when the NFL regular season begins in September.

    "I'm 100 per cent," Conner told reporters.

    "I had a weak immune system four years ago. It's not weak anymore, thank God. I'm okay. I'm young and healthy. I went through what I went through.

    "I'm not concerned, me personally. We're going to play it safe, of course. I'm not going to ignore it or anything like that. But as far as me being scared or anything like that or trying to take extra, extra precautions because of my health history, that was four years ago. My body's healed.

    "I think when we follow our health protocol and guidelines, I'll be just fine.

    "I don't want to downplay it and have people think I don't think it's an issue or anything like that.

    "I just believe that we're just going to be doing what we're doing, and our bodies are meant to go through things and overcome it and get immune to things such as that. I hope everybody stays safe, but I'm not too concerned."

    Having made the Pro Bowl in 2018 - his first year as a starter in Pittsburgh - Conner struggled during an injury-hit 2019 and rushed for only 464 yards in 10 games.

    However, he cannot be accused of not putting in the work this offseason, with one photo he uploaded onto social media showing his bulging back muscles.

    "Nah man, it's just the angle. I ain't been working out," he joked.

    "Honestly, a lot of people commented on it saying, 'I'm gonna be stiff', and all this.

    "No, I'm a professional and I know how to work out. It's partially genetics, but I've also been putting a lot of work into the weight room. And it's also just the way I flexed it.

    "So it was nothing. There's a lot of people look like that."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.