NFL

Giants rookie Corey Ballentine takes part in OTAs a month after being shot

By Sports Desk May 28, 2019

New York Giants coach Pat Shurmur said Corey Ballentine is "getting better each day" as he participated in team practice just a month after being shot.

The Giants' rookie cornerback was present at organised team activities and participated in drills on Tuesday, progressing to 11-on-11 sessions after ramping up individual work last week.

Ballentine, selected 180th overall in the sixth round of last month's draft, was struck in the backside in the shooting that took place near the Washburn University campus shortly after he was picked. 

His former Washburn University teammate Dwane Simmons was killed during the incident. Ballentine was taken to a nearby hospital with non-life threatening injuries. 

"He's doing what he can do," Shurmur said of Ballentine. "He looked good moving around and he's getting better each day."

Ballentine, 23, totalled 186 tackles, 10 tackles for loss, four forced fumbles, three fumble recoveries and five interceptions during his college career.

Related items

  • Eagles bring back Sproles on one-year deal Eagles bring back Sproles on one-year deal

    Darren Sproles has returned to the Philadelphia Eagles after signing a one-year contract.

    The 36-year-old running back considered retiring after an injury-riddled 2018 campaign in which he played only six games. 

    But Sproles was prepared to give it another go if the "right team" called and that team turned out to be one he already knew well as he opted to return for a sixth season with the franchise.

    "My heart is in Philly - that's where I want to end my career," Sproles said to the Eagles' website. "That team, the city is like a family.

    "I really want to go out on top. That's what I really want to do. I can't wait to get back with the guys."

    Sproles has established himself as one of the NFL's best-ever all-purpose backs and sits sixth on the league's career all-purpose yardage list thanks to his ability to rush, receive and return kickoffs and punts. 

    He is unlikely to get a large amount of touches in 2019-20, but gives Philadelphia's explosive offense another option.

    The Eagles gave Carson Wentz a four-year, $128million extension in June. The QB will have talented targets in Alshon Jeffery, DeSean Jackson and Zach Ertz to work with, as well as running back Jordan Howard in the backfield. 

    Philadelphia appear to have a better arsenal than they had on last season's 9-7 team that finished second in the NFC East. 

    They lost Super Bowl hero Nick Foles to the Jacksonville Jaguars this offseason, so will have to bank on Wentz having a healthy year to go further than last season's loss to the New Orleans Saints in the divisional round.

  • Tyreek Hill cleared to play for Chiefs as NFL concludes investigation Tyreek Hill cleared to play for Chiefs as NFL concludes investigation

    Tyreek Hill has been cleared to begin training camp with the Kansas City Chiefs after an NFL investigation found he did not violate the league's personal conduct policy. 

    The league said in a statement on Friday they had conducted a "comprehensive investigation" into allegations Hill had abused his three-year-old son and found that, based on the evidence available, the Chiefs receiver had not violated the league's policy. 

    "Throughout this investigation, the NFL's primary concern has been the well-being of the child," the league said in a release.

    "Our understanding is that the child is safe and that the child's ongoing care is being directed and monitored by the Johnson County District Court and the Johnson County Department for Children and Families."

    Hill, 25, will now be able to join the Chiefs for camp and "all club activities" going forward. The team's veterans are due to report to camp by July 26 and have their first practice the following day. 

    The Chiefs said in a release that they expect Hill to be there. 

    "Based on the information provided to us by the league, we have decided it is appropriate for Tyreek to return to the team at the start of training camp," the statement read in part.

    "The club fully supports the conditions for return laid out by the league and will continue to monitor any new developments in the case. We are glad to welcome Tyreek back to the team and look forward to the start of training camp next week."

    Local authorities determined Hill would not face charges in connection with the accusations, which first surfaced in mid-March, but the Chiefs suspended Hill indefinitely in April following an audio clip that allegedly included the receiver and his fiancee Crystal Espinal discussing how their child had hurt his arm. 

    Hill's attorney wrote a lengthy letter to the NFL denying the child abuse claims.

    Johnson County district attorney Steve Howe said in April that although his office believed a crime had occurred, "the evidence in this case does not conclusively establish who committed this crime."

    The NFL said on Friday they did not have access to law enforcement records, which have been sealed by the court, and they left open the possibility that they could take "appropriate steps" against Hill "if further information becomes available".

    Hill met with league officials for more than eight hours last month to discuss the case.

  • Flacco ready for opportunity with Broncos Flacco ready for opportunity with Broncos

    Denver Broncos quarterback Joe Flacco is ready for a fresh start.

    The 34-year-old, who was sent from the Baltimore Ravens to the Broncos in a trade this offseason, participated in his first training camp practice with his new team on Thursday.

    "There is an energy about coming here and an excitement that I feel about coming to this new team and getting another chance to be a starting quarterback in this league," Flacco said.

    "I don't think you can ever take for granted how awesome it is to get to do what I’m doing and what we are all doing, so I'm definitely excited about it and ready to go. I feel like a little kid."

    The Ravens originally selected Flacco out of Delaware with the number 18 pick in the 2008 draft and he led the team to a win in Super Bowl XLVII.

    But, he was replaced by then-rookie Lamar Jackson as Baltimore's starter last season.

    "I feel like I've got a lot left in the tank," Flacco said. "I feel like I can do a lot more than what I've shown over the course of my 11-year career, so I'm excited that I'm going to have the opportunity here to do that."

    The Broncos picked Drew Lock in the second round and also have Kevin Hogan and Brett Rypien on their roster.

    Denver president of football operations John Elway, however, said there will not be a quarterback competition.

    "[Quarterback] is a hard position to fill," Elway told ESPN earlier this week. "We tried to shake all these trees around here the last four years and the quarterbacks didn't fall out. So, it's difficult. We've taken a lot of shots, we've tried a lot of different situations ... Hopefully with Joe we've got it solidified with Drew [Lock] working under him.

    "When the football team has confidence with the guy at that position, it makes your football team better. Joe proved, he showed everybody on our football team he's that guy. Our team responded to him well ... He's ready to take that spot over."

    The Broncos finished 2018 with a 6-10 record and missed the playoffs for a third straight season. They fired Vance Joseph in late December and hired Vic Fangio to replace him.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.