I could be a piece of s*** like Floyd Landis - Armstrong addresses old grudges in new documentary

By Sports Desk May 18, 2020

Lance Armstrong has expressed remorse towards some of those hurt while covering up his multiple drug offences but still harbours animosity towards former team-mate Floyd Landis.

Armstrong is the subject of a new ESPN documentary LANCE, where he assesses his fall from grace on the back of being handed a lifetime ban from cycling in 2012, when a United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) investigation led to him being stripped of the Tour de France victories he claimed from 1999 to 2005.

The 48-year-old cancer survivor accepts his treatment of Emma O'Reilly, the former soigneur on Armstrong's US Postal team and an early whistleblower in his case, and Italian cyclist Filippo Simeoni, who testified against Armstrong's now-disgraced doctor Michele Ferrari, was unacceptable.

However, he is unflinching when it comes to Landis – the 2006 Tour winner who was subsequently banned for doping before lifting the lid on Armstrong's regime and ultimately starting the chain of events that would bring about his downfall.

"Hey, it could be worse. I could be Floyd Landis," Armstrong told ESPN. "Waking up a piece of s*** every day. 

"That's what I know. I don't think it, I know it."

Along with prompting the USADA investigation that would conclude Armstrong and US Postal had run "the most sophisticated, professionalised and successful doping program that sport has ever seen", Landis also filed a lawsuit alleging Armstrong and the team had defrauded the federal government by taking US Postal Service sponsorship money while cheating.

Armstrong reached a $5million settlement in 2018.

"I hope he's changed and I hope he finds some peace. I don't know why people can't move on, but here we are," Landis told ESPN.

"At the time that I got hired by the Postal Service team they had already won the Tour de France three times with Armstrong. He was about as big a star as you could be at that point. That part made it easier for Armstrong to control that group of guys. He was the boss.

"Lance is a tough, hard motherf*****, but the rest of them were not. So they'll just take whatever beatings they get and smile."

Another of Armstrong's old colleagues, Tyler Hamilton, painted a similarly uncompromising picture and alleged the Texan was complicit in him being caught and banned for doping.

"In 2004 at the Dauphine I beat him in this time trial up Mont Ventoux," said Hamilton, who was riding for Phonak at the time, having accompanied Armstrong on his first three Tour victories.

"I've heard from sources that he was p***** and he called the UCI – this is what I was told – and said 'you've got to get this guy'.

"And, sure enough, they called that night. I don't know, most likely it happened.

"If I had to guess one way or the other I'd guess 'yes', [Armstrong] was something to do with me getting caught."

Armstrong does not address that allegation directly in the film, although he confirmed he wanted Tyler off the US Postal squad once he learnt of his Tour ambitions.

"You don't want that guy on your team. A guy on your team who thinks he can win the Tour? No – there's the door," he said.

Elsewhere, Armstrong suggested he was probably party to favourable treatment from the late UCI president Hein Verbruggen.

During the 1999 Tour, in the aftermath of the Festina doping scandals, Armstrong returned a positive cortisone test, which was covered up by a backdated prescription for saddle soreness that his team provided.

"If the question is 'how much did you have Hein Verbruggen in your pocket?' there's a lot of different ways to answer that," he said. "Financially… zero.

"He's no longer with us to answer this question himself but do I believe that Hein wanted to protect the sport? Yes. Protect me? Yes.

"He was coming off the heels of Festina. The world is following the story of this cancer survivor and then bam, a headline, cortisone found in his urine sample. 

"That type of cortisone was available a lot of different ways. You could inject it, you could have eyedrops, you could have a nasal spray, or you could have a cream.

"He's using the cream for saddle sores. And so Hein just [Armstrong claps hands, rubs them together]... It's like, that's it."

*** LANCE is available on ESPN Player throughout the UK, Europe and Africa from May 25th***

Related items

  • Groenewegen suspended by team and risks UCI punishment after Jakobsen crash Groenewegen suspended by team and risks UCI punishment after Jakobsen crash

    Dylan Groenewegen says competing again is far from his thoughts after he was suspended from racing by his own team following the Tour of Poland crash that left Fabio Jakobsen in an induced coma.

    The Jumbo-Visma team said Groenewegen is "devastated" by this week's events and has acknowledged it was his mistake that caused fellow Dutchman Jakobsen to be hospitalised.

    He appeared to nudge Jakobsen into the barriers in a high-speed sprint finish on Wednesday's opening stage of the race, and world governing body the UCI is looking at whether to discipline Groenewegen, which could mean a ban.

    Jumbo-Visma said Groenewegen "broke a sports rule and that’s unacceptable", adding: "We have decided that Dylan will not start in a race until the judgment of the disciplinary committee to which the UCI has handed over the incident."

    Speaking to Dutch TV channel NOS, Groenewegen said: "It is clearly my fault. I veered off course and it is not allowed. Thinking of sprinting is far from my concerns. I won't even think about cycling in the coming months."

    Deceuninck-QuickStep rider Jakobsen, 23, has emerged from his coma after facial surgery and his condition has been described as "good" by race organisers.

    Groenewegen said of the incident: "Everything went so fast ... from one second to the next, I found myself on the ground and could only see the enormous damage caused by this fall.

    "I saw Fabio's team-mates standing around him and I understood that this was serious. From that moment on, I can just hope that he will eventually recover. And apologise for this mistake.

    "Of course, I hardly sleep any more. I think of Fabio and his family all the time."

    The 27-year-old has promised to get in touch with those close to Jakobsen, saying: "I think it's not a good time yet. But of course, I will when the timing is a little better."

  • Renault, McLaren consider challenging Racing Point sanction as Mercedes top practice Renault, McLaren consider challenging Racing Point sanction as Mercedes top practice

    Mercedes dominated both practice sessions on Friday but much of the talk around the 70th Anniversary Grand Prix was focused on Racing Point.

    Valtteri Bottas went quickest in FP1 but Mercedes team-mate Lewis Hamilton produced the fastest lap of the day in the second session, clocking a time of one minute, 25.606 seconds ahead of the second straight race at Silverstone.

    The big story of the day, though, was the FIA docking Racing Point 15 points and handing them a €400,000 fine after it was deemed their rear brake ducts were designed by Mercedes, breaching the sporting regulations.

    Racing Point boss Otmar Szafnauer claimed the sanction was "unfair" and that the team were considering an appeal, although they will continue to use the same parts.

    A number of other teams are also thinking of challenging the severity of the punishment - though because they feel it too lenient - with the issue arising following a protest by Renault at the Styrian Grand Prix.

    Renault team principal Cyril Abiteboul was pleased action had been taken but suggested the outcome was not satisfactory.

    "I think that the question of sanction is open for debate. We will consider that matter bearing in mind that the advantage that was obviously obtained will keep on going for all the season and it's a very material advantage," said Abiteboul.

    Williams chief Claire Williams and Ferrari team principal Mattia Binotto said they would study the 14-page decision before deciding whether to make an appeal.

    McLaren boss Zak Brown was heavily critical and is concerned it is just "the tip of the iceberg" in terms of the similarities between the RP20 and Mercedes' title-winning car from 2019.

    "My initial reactions are Racing Point has been found guilty. I am concerned they still have those [brake ducts] that were deemed illegal in Austria, on the race car now. I think that is confusing for the fans," said Brown.

    "Regarding copying, obviously they claimed that they had copied the car via photography - it's clear from reading the document that that's BS. And, therefore, you have to question anything else around that car.

    "So I think this is potentially the tip of the iceberg, the starting point of looking at what's happened here because I don't think it's healthy for the sport. It's thrown up a lot more questions than answers.

    "It's something we too are going to review quickly and understand the appeal process and whether that's something that we want to potentially participate in."

    The FIA announced its intention to amend the 2021 regulations to avoid further cases of copying or cloning another vehicle.

    After the governing body's investigation found that Mercedes had supplied a complete set of W10 brake ducts to Racing Point six days after they became a 'listed part' in January, Toto Wolff insisted the reigning constructors' champions had done nothing wrong.

    Wolff said: "We feel 100 per cent comfortable with our position. We have read the rules over and over again. The verdict that came out today is extremely complicated and comes up with an interpretation that is new to all of us.

    "We have provided certain data in 2019 which was totally within the rules. The 6th of January [part of the FIA's decision] has no material effect on any of the actions, because the whole thing was delivered much earlier, and all the CAD drawings and designs were delivered much earlier. Racing Point and ourselves [collaborated] and that was in the regulations.

    "At the end, to be honest, there is zero worry on our side – and when I say zero, I mean zero – that we were in any breach, nor do I think Racing Point was in any breach.

    "And I believe that if that was called to the ICA [International Court of Appeal], it would be probably a complex matter because it was very technical, but I doubt there would be any outcome."

  • Jakobsen out of coma after Tour of Poland crash Jakobsen out of coma after Tour of Poland crash

    Tour of Poland organisers have revealed Fabio Jakobsen is out of a coma and in a "good" condition two days after his high-speed crash at the end of stage one.

    Deceuninck-QuickStep rider Jakobsen was in a serious but stable condition after being airlifted to a hospital in Katowice following the incident on Wednesday.

    The Dutchman underwent facial surgery and Deceuninck-QuickStep said doctors would try and wake the 23-year-old up on Thursday.

    There was a positive update on his condition on Friday.

    A tweet from the Tour of Poland account said: "We have good news from the hospital in Sosnowiec! @FabioJakobsen is awake now from the coma. Condition is 'good'."

    Dylan Groenewegen apologised on Thursday after he was disqualified for causing the crash.

    Jumbo-Wisma rider Groenewegen was strongly condemned by the International Cycling Union (UCI) for his "dangerous behaviour".

    He posted on Twitter: "I hate what happened yesterday [Wednesday]. I can't find the words to describe how sorry I am for Fabio and others who have fallen or been hit.

    "At the moment, the health of Fabio is the most important thing. I think about him constantly."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.