Roche and Uran abandon Vuelta after crash on stage six

By Sports Desk August 29, 2019

Vuelta a Espana general classification contenders Nicolas Roche and Rigoberto Uran both abandoned the race after a pile-up on stage six on Thursday.

A crash in the peloton with 80 kilometres of the 198.9km ride from Mora de Rubielos to Ares del Maestrat forced Roche, who had held the red jersey for three days, and Uran to give up their respective campaigns.

Hugh Carthy and Victor de la Parte were also caught up in the incident and had to withdraw.

Roche had begun the day in fifth, 57 seconds adrift of GC leader Miguel Angel Lopez after the Astana rider took the red jersey from the Irishman with a brilliant attack on stage five's final climb. Uran was a further two seconds behind in sixth.

Lopez was 14 seconds clear of Primoz Roglic going into the second successive summit finish.

Related items

  • Froome provides upbeat update on recovery progress after surgery Froome provides upbeat update on recovery progress after surgery

    Chris Froome has undergone successful surgery to remove metalwork from his hip and elbow as he continues his recovery from several serious injuries.

    Four-time Tour de France champion Froome has been out of action since June, after he sustained a fractured right femur, a fractured elbow and fractured ribs in a crash on a training run for the Criterium du Dauphine.

    The 34-year-old underwent emergency surgery in France before beginning his recovery, with Team INEOS providing a video update on Froome's progress in August.

    Froome, who is hopeful of participating in the 2020 Tour de France, confirmed on social media in September that he was back on the road, subsequently taking part in the time trial event at the Saitama Criterium, alongside team-mate and 2019 Le Tour champion Egan Bernal.

    On Friday, Froome provided a further update, revealing he has had the surgery required to remove the metalwork from his body had been a success.

    "Less (sic) some hardware from my hip and elbow," Froome tweeted. "Feeling groggy but all went perfectly."

  • Cavendish makes Team Bahrain Merida move Cavendish makes Team Bahrain Merida move

    Mark Cavendish said he has achieved a "long-held ambition" by joining Team Bahrain Merida for the 2020 season.

    Cavendish's future has been the subject of much speculation since he was overlooked by Dimension Data for the Tour de France this year.

    The 34-year-old sprint star  - winner of 48 Grand Tour stages with 30 in the Tour - has been confirmed as a new recruit for the joint venture between the Kingdom of Bahrain and McLaren.

    Cavendish will be reunited with his former coach Rod Ellingworth, Bahrain's team principal, and joins Mikel Landa, Wout Poels and Dylan Teuns in an impressive line-up.

    "Joining this team is the fulfilment of a long-held ambition for me and is super exciting and motivating. You could even say a dream come true," said Cavendish.

    "Having worked closely with McLaren in the past, and seen the benefits of their technology and processes, this was an opportunity I jumped at.

    "My relationship with Rod goes way back, and he's been instrumental in helping me develop as a rider and a person.

    "I can't wait to join my new team-mates and do everything I can to help us achieve the successes I know will come."

    Ellingworth said: "Mark's signing completes our rider roster for 2020 and gives us the balance the team needs to win. Mark is a proven champion and has a lot to contribute – both on and off the bike.

    "Having last worked with him at the 2016 Rio Olympics and Qatar World Championships, I've been delighted to see that his energy and determination to succeed are greater now than ever. We're going to do everything in our power to enable him to perform at his best."

  • Teenage rider Maas unlikely to walk again after Piccolo Lombardia crash Teenage rider Maas unlikely to walk again after Piccolo Lombardia crash

    Team Sunweb's teenage rider Edo Maas is unlikely to walk again after breaking his back following a collision with a car this month.

    The 19-year-old Dutchman was rushed to hospital in Milan after suffering severe injuries in an accident on the descent of the Madonna del Ghisallo during the Piccolo Lombardia.

    Maas underwent multiple operations this week but has lost the feeling in both of his legs.

    A statement from Maas' family said: "Edo is now fully conscious and has been awake for a couple of days, and responds well to family and visiting team-mates. The fractures to his back and the injuries on his face required multiple intensive surgeries over the last week, all of which were successful.

    "Edo is currently processing the diagnosis that the fracture in his back has led to paraplegia, a loss of nerve feeling in his legs. At this moment it remains unlikely that functionality in his legs will ever return, but fighting power and hope prevails.

    "At this stage no further information on Edo's condition is available. We ask to respect Edo and the family's privacy, as they process this difficult news. Another update will be provided when necessary."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.