NBA commissioner Silver: Best guess next season won't start until January

By Sports Desk September 22, 2020

NBA commissioner Adam Silver does not expect the 2020-21 season to start until next year amid the coronavirus pandemic.

The NBA is deep into the Conference finals behind closed doors inside the Orlando bubble at Walt Disney World Resort after the 2019-20 campaign resumed in July, having been suspended in March due to COVID-19.

A December tip-off for the new season was tentatively flagged previously but Silver said the league is set to be pushed back to January.

"My best guess is even though it'll be the 2020-21 season, that the season won't start until 2021," Silver told CNN.

"We said the earliest we would start is Christmas of this year. But the more I'm learning and listening to Dr. Anthony Fauci [head of the National Institute of Allergies and Infectious Diseases] this morning, I continue to believe we're going to be better off going into January. The goal for us next season is to play a standard season.

"And further, the goal would be to play games in home arenas in front of fans, but there's still a lot that we need to learn."

A January start date could clash with the rescheduled Olympic Games in Japan, where the United States will defend their gold medal.

The Tokyo Games are due to be held between July 23 and August 8 and Silver added: "There are a lot of great U.S. players, and we may be up against a scenario where the top 15 NBA players aren't competing in the Olympics, but other great American players are competing.

"And, obviously, there are many NBA players who participate in the Olympics for other countries. That's something we're going to have to work through."

"These are highly unique and unusual circumstances," Silver said. "And I think just as it is for the Olympic movement, it is for us as well. And we're just going to have to sort of find a way to meld and mesh those two competing considerations."

Related items

  • Man Utd left-back Telles tests positive for coronavirus Man Utd left-back Telles tests positive for coronavirus

    Manchester United left-back Alex Telles has tested positive for coronavirus, it was confirmed on Wednesday.

    Telles, who arrived at United from Porto for a reported £15.4million (€17m) earlier this month, made his debut for the club in last week's Champions League win over Paris Saint-Germain.

    The 27-year-old has since missed two matches, including Wednesday's 5-0 thrashing of RB Leipzig at Old Trafford.

    United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer subsequently confirmed Telles had contracted COVID-19, but was feeling fine.

    "Telles has tested positive for coronavirus so he's been out for a few days," he told a news conference.

    "No symptoms though, so he'll be fine. Back soon."

    Top of Group H in the Champions League but 15th in the Premier League, United host Arsenal on Sunday.

  • Ronaldo to miss Messi reunion due to 'bulls***' coronavirus test Ronaldo to miss Messi reunion due to 'bulls***' coronavirus test

    Cristiano Ronaldo will miss Juventus' Champions League fixture against Barcelona on Wednesday after being left out of the squad following his positive COVID-19 test.

    Ronaldo has been self-isolating since testing positive for the virus while away on international duty with Portugal this month.

    The 35-year-old had hoped to feature in Juve's Group G fixture against Barca, meaning a chance to once again go up against Lionel Messi, but needed a negative test 24 hours prior to kick-off in Turin.

    Ronaldo has not featured for the Serie A club since a 2-2 draw against Roma at the end of September.

    The former Real Madrid player, who has been Juve's top scorer for the past two seasons, enjoyed a fierce rivalry with Messi on the pitch during his time in LaLiga.

    In an Instagram post on Wednesday, Ronaldo said he was "feeling good and healthy".

    In a second message, which was later deleted, the five-time Ballon d'Or winner apparently proclaimed the pre-game coronavirus testing regimen was "bulls***".

    Centre-back Leonardo Bonucci was included in Andrea Pirlo's squad, however, having passed a late fitness test.

  • Warrington awarded victory with Salford unable to fulfil fixture Warrington awarded victory with Salford unable to fulfil fixture

    Warrington Wolves have been awarded a 24-0 win by forfeit after Salford Red Devils informed Super League and the Rugby Football League (RFL) they could not play Friday's game.

    Salford have "player availability issues", a Super League statement revealed on Wednesday.

    Earlier in the day, it was announced another of Friday's fixtures – between Huddersfield Giants and Castleford Tigers – had been cancelled after 12 positive coronavirus tests were returned in the visiting camp.

    The statement regarding the Warrington game added: "The matter will be referred to the RFL's compliance department for further consideration.

    "In the meantime, Super League continues to explore fixture rescheduling options in light of this morning's announcements."

    Warrington were third prior to being awarded the victory, set to reach the play-offs, while Salford are no longer in contention.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.