Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

West Indies fast bowler Kemar Roach plans to launch his campaign towards 200 Test wickets and beyond during the upcoming three-Test series against England.

Jonielle Smith, the 2019 World Championship relay gold medallist underwent successful surgery Friday to repair a herniated disc that has been an issue for her since late December 2019 when she was involved in a motor vehicle accident.

This according to MVP International on its website today.

Since then, the 2018 CAC champion has been suffering from back pain, which was addressed Friday. Doctors expect her to make a full recovery in about four weeks and are optimistic about her return for the 2021 season.

The athlete is said to be in good spirits.

Smith was sixth in the 100m final in Doha in 2019 after being called in as a replacement for Briana Williams.

Bahrain’s Salwa Eid Naser has retained the services of Trinidadian attorneys and barristers Dr Emir Crowne and Matthew Gayle, who will be her representatives in upcoming anti-doping proceedings for whereabouts violations before an Independent Disciplinary Tribunal.

The Jamaica Anti-Doping Commission (JADCO) officially opened the doors of its new office during a ceremony held at its new location at 1 Ballater Avenue, Kingston 10 on Thursday, June 11, 2020.

Veronica Campbell-Brown, one of the all-time greats of female sprinting, has revealed that she forged her talents in the intense furnace of competition that is the ISSA Boys and Girls Championships, arguably the biggest high school track meet on the planet.

The Master Blaster, Sir Viv Richards, is English county cricket's greatest overseas player. This, according to BBC Sport users, who voted on the best players from each of the 17 counties. Each winner then went through to an overall vote.

When the final votes were tallied, the former West Indies captain had secured an astonishing 43.2 per cent of the final vote, finishing ahead of another former West Indies captain, Sir Clive Lloyd (9.2 per cent), and ex-New Zealand all-rounder Sir Richard Hadlee who won 8.5 per cent of the vote.

West Indies captain Jason Holder said the Windies are not favourites for their upcoming series against England but his players are eager to get into action.

West Indies T20 star Dwayne Bravo has joined the growing throng of celebrity voices calling for an end to racism, saying all people of colour want is equality.

Bahamian sprint star Shaunae Miller-Uibo and Jamaica’s Omar McLeod are set to be in action next month at the Weltklasse Zurich’s Inspiration Games exhibition event on July 9.

The cross-continent meeting will involve 30 athletes competing in eight disciplines across seven stadia. Athletes will compete in teams, with a Europe squad going up against teams from the USA and the rest of the world.

In the 150m, Miller-Uibo of Bahamas will race in Miramar, Florida, against USA’s six-time Olympic gold medallist Felix in Walnut, California, and Switzerland’s world bronze medallist Kambundji in Zurich.

Meanwhile, McLeod will take on Andre DeGrasse and Andre Vicaut in a 100-yard dash.

 Dalilah Muhammad will battle Léa Sprunger in a 300m hurdles and Katerina Stefanidi and Sandi Morris will contest the pole vault.

Noah Lyles and Alex Wilson take on the 200m and Christian Taylor goes up against Omar Craddock and Pablo Pichardo in the triple jump.

Cricket West Indies Chief Selector Roger Harper is suggesting that the structure of the West Indies team now in England for a three-Test series starting next month, and the expected playing conditions there, precluded the selection of Guyanese spinner Veerasammy Permaul.

Permaul, the 30-year-old slow left-arm orthodox spinner from Guyana, snared 50 wickets during the West Indies Championships that ended in March at an excellent average of 12.98. Speaking with Sportsmax.TV shortly after the season ended, he said he felt that the success he enjoyed would have put him closer to selection to the West Indies senior squad.

“Playing for the West Indies is always my goal every season I play,” he said, “but I wasn’t finding favour with the West Indies selectors. I don’t know how close I am to making the West Indies team, I would think after an excellent season like this one I am not far from playing for the West Indies again.”

However, according to Harper, a fellow Guyanese, Permaul’s success did not get him close enough.

“If you look at the structure of the team; the Test squad and the reserves, you realize that there are not many spinners in the party,” Harper said while speaking on the Mason and Guest talk show in Barbados on Tuesday.

“In England, we looked at the conditions you are likely to face there and the sort of bowlers we will need in the squad and (Rahkeem) Cornwall was selected as a spinner in the squad from his performance in his last Test match.

“Looking at the reserves we thought we would look at a replacement for the positions in the Test team…the panel went for the incumbent who was on the last tour.”

The decision to exclude Permaul did not go down well with Hilbert Foster President of the Berbice Cricket Board in Guyana. Permaul plays his domestic cricket in Berbice.

“The BCB would like to condemn in the strongest possible way the sick treatment being handed out to this outstanding son of Berbice and would like for an explanation to been given on his non-selection," Foster said.

"Has a decision been taken that Permaul's career is over at just 30 years old? Is there another unknown factor for his non-selection? Is he indisciplined? Is he considered just a regional bowler or is he too old?

"We deserve to know as the BCB is, without doubt, the hardest working cricket board in the Caribbean and we would not sit back and watch our cricketers being treated like a second class when they deserve better."

Just about two weeks after they had retained the services of a noted Trinidadian law firm for their high court battle with the ousted executive of the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association, FIFA has fired new lawyers.

In late May, attorneys from the Law Offices of Dr Claude H. Denbow S.C. filed papers in the Trinidad and Tobago High Court of Justice stating that they were representing FIFA in their dispute against William Wallace, whose executive they dissolved in March 2020.

 However, on Tuesday, June 9, a notice of change of attorney over the signature of Dr Emilio Garcia was filed stating that Messrs M. Hamel-Smith and Co. will now be representing FIFA effectively replacing the Law Offices of Dr Claude H. Benbow S.C.

Cherie Gopie was the filing attorney.

Lawyers representing Wallace are seeking a permanent injunction preventing FIFA from interfering or seeking to override the “fair and transparent democratic processes of the TTFA and/or preventing them from removing the executive of duly elected officers from office.”

They are also seeking a permanent injunction against FIFA preventing FIFA and/or its agents from interfering with the day-to-day management of the association, including its bank accounts, website and real property.

They are also seeking damages and costs.

 

 

The Jamaica Olympic Association (JOA) has come out in support of the decision of the Association of National Olympic Committees (ANOC) to provide additional funding to National Olympic Committees (NOCs) in facilitating their preparation for the Tokyo Olympic Games that were postponed to next year because of the Coronavirus pandemic.

Two hundred and six national Olympic committees worldwide stand to benefit from the initiative that is expected to be managed through the five Continental Associations and ANOC, with the assistance of Olympic Solidarity.

ANOC has assured National Olympic Committees that it stands in solidarity with them in recognising the adverse financial implications triggered by the pandemic, and in safeguarding the welfare of athletes and all stakeholders.

 "It is a decision that signals empathetic understanding. It is a confidence vote in the ability and capacity of National Olympic Committees (NOCs) to repurpose plans, goals and objectives. But more importantly, it is an act of humanity and integrity and a demonstration of the Olympic spirit," said JOA President Christopher Samuda.

The decision was made in the wake of a conference involving ANOC President, Robin Mitchell, ANOC Secretary General Gunilla Lindberg, ANOC executives and Olympic Solidarity Director James MacLeod, and will provide support on a case-by-case basis to be determined by governing criteria.

"This is sport responding dynamically and in a practical way without self-serving interests but with sensitivity to the needs and aspirations of stakeholders who are facing the challenges of the current times but who, despite the crisis, have the conviction to stay in the game, to play the game and to transform the game for this and the next generations of sportsmen and sportswomen," Samuda said.

Yohan Blake’s YB Afraid Foundation has collaborated with The Sandals Foundation to deliver new living accommodations for wards of the Mt. Olivet Boy’s Home in Walderston in Manchester.

The new facilities scheduled to be completed in November 2020, will include multi-purpose play areas and an artificial turf football field. Once completed it will become a critical tool in a thrust to raise the standard of care for wards of the state in Jamaica to unprecedented levels.

Blake, the 2011 100m world champion, started the YB Afraid Foundation in 2011 with a mandate to support organizations and develop programs that address the educational, physical and mental health and social needs of underprivileged youth, enabling them to develop into outstanding citizens and role models in society.

He told Sportsmax.TV that the project takes him closer to achieving his vision of providing safe spaces for the island’s underprivileged youth.

“I am very proud to be able to do this. It is a life-long dream and I really believe it is only the beginning,” said the 2012 double Olympic silver medallist.

“I have to thank my Richard Mille family and my Sandals family and everyone who has been so generous and has helped. Those people inspire me to be better and to do more. I can’t wait for it to be finished so I can go and spend some time with the boys.”

Executive Director of the Sandals Foundation Heidi Clarke said they were excited to be on board with the project that Jamaica so desperately needs. The foundation, she said, has been managing the execution of the project and helping the YB Afraid Foundation realize its vision.

She revealed that the project contained components that were important to the Sandals Foundation. These included the rehabilitation of the existing structures transforming them into a HEART-certified woodwork-training centre on the property and a halfway house that can accommodate wards that age out when they turn 17.

“We saw the need to create spaces that are inspirational, to uplift these young men coming from difficult situations. We feel strongly that if we provide them with an environment to develop holistically they can reach for the stars. The sky is the limit for them,” Clarke said.

 

 

West Indies captain described the upcoming tour of England as a huge step as the team and support staff departed for the 2020 Sandals Tour of England on Monday evening. The touring party is expected to arrive in the United Kingdom on Tuesday.

The players arrived in Antigua earlier Monday on two charter flights that collected players from across the Caribbean during the course of the day. The West Indies will play three Tests during the seven-week tour in defence of the Wisden Trophy they won during their home series against England in 2019.

“This is a huge step forward in cricket and in sports in general as we travel over to England for this series. A lot has gone into the preparations for what will be a new phase in the game. I’m happy for the support and well-wishes we have been receiving from our loyal and dedicated fans once it was confirmed the tour would go-ahead. This has been a source of great inspiration,” said  Holder.

“We have a fantastic group of cricketers, coaches, medical staff and support staff and I know everyone is eagerly looking forward to the start of the first match when we can get back on the field of play. There is expectation in the air that we will defend the Wisden Trophy and we will certainly put in the work and give it our all to keep hold of it.”

On arrival into Emirates Old Trafford, Manchester, members of the touring party will be tested again for COVID-19 prior to the seven-week tour during which they will live, train and play in a “bio-secure” environment, as part of the comprehensive medical and operational plans to ensure player and staff safety.

The bio-secure protocols will restrict movement in and out of the venues, so a group of reserve players will travel to train and help prepare the Test squad and ensure replacements are available in case of any injury.

Meanwhile, Floyd Reifer will join the coaching staff as batting coach. He will fill in for Monty Desai, who is based in India but is unable to travel due to travel restrictions. He will join the other members of the coaching staff that includes Phil Simmons (Head Coach) and Roddy Estwick (Assistant Coach), and Rayon Griffith (Assistant Coach).

Team analyst A.R. Srikkanth, who is s also based in India will work remotely from Bangaluru for the duration of the tour.

The medical support staff will be bolstered by the additions of Dr Praimanand Singh (Team Doctor), Neil Barry Jr (Physiotherapist), Nkoyo Meade (Massage Therapist) and Donald LaGuerre (Team Psychologist).

The series will feature three back-to-back Test matches for the Wisden Trophy, starting July 8. The first Test will be played at the Ageas Bowl in Southampton (July 8-12) with the second and third matches at Old Trafford in Manchester from July 16-20 and then July 24-28.

Test Squad: Jason Holder (Captain), Jermaine Blackwood, Nkrumah Bonner, Kraigg Brathwaite, Shamarh Brooks, John Campbell, Roston Chase, Rahkeem Cornwall, Shane Dowrich, Chemar Holder, Shai Hope, Alzarri Joseph, Raymon Reifer and Kemar Roach.

Reserve Players: Sunil Ambris, Joshua DaSilva, Shannon Gabriel, Keon Harding, Kyle Mayers, Preston McSween, Marquino Mindley, Shayne Moseley, Anderson Phillip, Oshane Thomas and Jomel Warrican.

Donovan Bailey, the 1996 Olympic champion and former 100-metre world record holder, believes Canada has to confront its own issues of racism.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.