All Blacks coach Foster expects more emotion from Pumas after Maradona death

By Sports Desk November 25, 2020

All Blacks head coach Ian Foster expects Argentina to have even greater emotion in the wake of Diego Maradona's death.

Arguably the best footballer of all-time, Maradona died at the age of 60 after a suspected heart attack on Wednesday.

An icon in Argentina after leading the country to the 1986 World Cup title, three days of official mourning were declared in the nation following Maradona's death.

Meanwhile, the Pumas are preparing to face New Zealand in the Tri Nations in Newcastle on Saturday.

Foster said there could be added emotion for Argentina, who beat the All Blacks for the first time in a stunning upset earlier this month.

"It's hard to say from our perspective, but I mean clearly it's a sad day for Argentina as a nation," he told a news conference on Thursday.

"I guess all we can do is we commiserate with them, he's an iconic sporting person and clearly had a lot of meaning for the people of Argentina so we just acknowledge that.

"Clearly when you're going into a game you're the next big game off the track for that country. It's going to have some emotional appeal but that's something that they will deal with and they will control.

"We've got to control our own emotions and we've got plenty of reasons and plenty of determination to play for our country as well and representing our people and doing what we need to do to fix up a performance two weeks ago is pretty high on our list."

Argentina have two games left in the Tri Nations, with the Pumas, All Blacks and Wallabies all locked on six points in the table.

Related items

  • Lydiate recalled, Webb left out of Wales Six Nations squad Lydiate recalled, Webb left out of Wales Six Nations squad

    Dan Lydiate has been recalled to the Wales squad for the Six Nations but there is no place for Rhys Webb.

    Back-row Lydiate last played for his country against Australia in 2018, but the 33-year-old is among the 36 players selected by head coach Wayne Pivac.

    Scrum-half Webb has been overlooked, with Gareth Davies, Tomos Williams and Kieran Hardy getting the nod.

    Scarlets back-row Josh Macleod is the only uncapped player in the squad for a tournament Wales will start with an encounter against Ireland at the Principality Stadium on February 7.

    Pivac revealed he was unable to pick Rhys Priestland, despite the fly-half being set to return to his homeland with Cardiff Blues next season, due to the 60-cap rule.

    Captain Alun Wyn Jones is hopeful of being fit to face Ireland in Dublin as he continues his recovery from a knee injury.

    Ross Moriarty, Gareth Anscombe, Rhys Patchell and Scott Williams are among the players ruled out due to injury.

    Pivac said: "We are hugely looking forward to meeting up as a squad on Monday and to the forthcoming campaign. The Guinness Six Nations is an important tournament and we have selected a squad accordingly.

    "As we consistently spoke about, the autumn for us was about opportunity and development, looking ahead to RWC 2023 and it served that purpose for us.

    "This campaign is different, it is tournament rugby and we are excited to get going and to play our part. We have picked a squad for this tournament based on form and we are excited to meet up on Monday and to get our preparation underway."

     

    Wales squad:

    Forwards: Rhys Carre, Wyn Jones, Rhodri Jones, Elliot Dee, Ryan Elias, Ken Owens, Leon Brown, Tomas Francis, Dillon Lewis, Jake Ball, Adam Beard, Alun Wyn Jones (captain), Will Rowlands, Cory Hill, Dan Lydiate, Josh Navidi, Aaron Wainwright, Taulupe Faletau, Josh MacLeod, Justin Tipuric.

    Backs: Gareth Davies, Tomos Williams, Kieran Hardy, Dan Biggar, Callum Sheedy, Jarrod Evans, Johnny Williams, Jonathan Davies, Nick Tompkins, Owen Watkin, George North, Josh Adams, Hallam Amos, Louis Rees-Zammit, Leigh Halfpenny, Liam Williams.

  • Eddie Jones self-isolating after England assistant coach tests positive for coronavirus Eddie Jones self-isolating after England assistant coach tests positive for coronavirus

    England head coach Eddie Jones is self-isolating after assistant Matt Proudfoot tested positive for coronavirus.

    England Rugby announced on Wednesday that Proudfoot, who is asymptomatic, returned a positive in the latest round of pre-tournament testing ahead of the Six Nations and is now in isolation.

    Jones and attack coach Simon Amor were identified as close contacts and must also self-isolate for 10 days, as per United Kingdom government guidelines.

    Should they return further negative tests, Jones and Amor will be able to link up with the squad at St George's Park from January 28.

    England, who are set to name their squad on Friday, are due to begin the defence of their Six Nations title against Scotland at Twickenham on February 6.

    Jones is expected to name a 28-man selection featuring mostly established international players, with strict COVID-19 bubble arrangements meaning he cannot call up a larger group and allow those needing game time to return to their club sides.

  • Messi ban to be appealed by Barcelona Messi ban to be appealed by Barcelona

    Lionel Messi's two-match ban is to be appealed by Barcelona, the club confirmed.

    Messi was dismissed in the 121st minute of Sunday's Supercopa de Espana defeat to Athletic Bilbao as he took a swing at Asier Villalibre in an off-the-ball incident that was spotted by the VAR.

    It was the first time he had been sent off for the club and only the third red in his entire 17-year career for Barca and Argentina.

    Barca lost the match 3-2 in Seville and a ruling by the Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) competition committee on Tuesday deemed Messi's offence serious enough to warrant a two-match suspension.

    That will rule him out of the Copa del Rey match against Cornella on Thursday and Sunday's LaLiga trip to Elche, before returning for another tussle with Villalibre and Athletic on January 31.

    But Barca seemingly deemed the punishment too sever and announced plans to appeal soon after the RFEF's initial decision.

    Barca's statement read: "Barcelona is to appeal the suspension issued to Leo Messi. The competition committee announced on Tuesday that the Argentinian's red card in the final minutes of the Supercopa de Espana final against Athletic Club shall incur a two-match ban."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.