Warriors appoint Brown, Broncos boss Seibold to self-isolate

By Sports Desk August 08, 2020

New Zealand Warriors have appointed Nathan Brown as their new head coach.

Brown joins on a deal until the end of the 2023 NRL season after Stephen Kearney was relieved of his duties last month.

The Warriors, who have played the entire season in Australia because of restrictions in New Zealand enforced to combat coronavirus, have enjoyed an upturn in fortunes in recent weeks, claiming successive wins over Wests Tigers and Manly Sea Eagles under interim coach Todd Payten.

"I'm a career coach. I just love coaching and this job with the Warriors is a fantastic opportunity," Brown told the Warriors' official website.

"I spent time in Auckland during the pre-season and was really impressed with the whole set-up, the players and the staff throughout the organisation.

"The Warriors are hugely important to the competition. We've seen that this year with the sacrifices they've made to keep the NRL going. I can't wait to get stuck in."

Meanwhile, Brisbane Broncos coach Anthony Seibold is to self-isolate for 14 days.

Following the Broncos loss to South Sydney Rabbitohs on Friday, Seibold remained in Sydney for personal reasons.

Broncos CEO Paul White said: "Anthony is dealing with a serious family matter and could not fly back to Brisbane with the team after the Rabbitohs game last night.

"He expects to be able to return to Brisbane within 48 hours but in line with COVID regulations he will need to self-isolate for 14 days once he is back in Queensland.

"Anthony will return to the Broncos after that. Assistant Coach Peter Gentle will coach the team in Anthony's absence."

The Broncos are enduring a dismal season and have just six points from 13 games.

Related items

  • Hayne jailed for sexual assault Hayne jailed for sexual assault

    Jarryd Hayne has been sentenced to five years and nine months in jail for sexually assaulting a woman.

    The former Australia and Fiji rugby league international was found guilty of two counts of sexual intercourse without consent at a retrial at NSW District Court in March after the original trial failed to reach a majority verdict.

    Hayne faced a maximum sentence of 14 years in jail when he appeared at Newcastle District Court on Thursday.

    The 33-year-old was given an aggregate term of imprisonment of five years and nine months to commence on May 6.

    Hayne, who played for Parramatta Eels and Gold Coast Titans, as well as having a stint in the NFL with the San Francisco 49ers, will be eligible for parole in January 2025.

    He had maintained in court that he was not guilty of sexually assaulting the woman at her home in 2018, while claimed he was about to sign a lucrative one-year deal to continue his NRL career before being charged by police in November 2018.

  • Reggae Warriors to tackle Greece ahead of 2021 Rugby League World Cup Reggae Warriors to tackle Greece ahead of 2021 Rugby League World Cup

    Jamaica’s Rugby League team is set to face Greece in October just ahead of the start of the Rugby League World Cup later this year.

  • Bradford Bulls' Flanagan gets 10-game ban for 'attacking opponent's testicles' Bradford Bulls' Flanagan gets 10-game ban for 'attacking opponent's testicles'

    Bradford Bulls hooker George Flanagan has been banned for 10 games after being found guilty of "attacking an opponent's testicles".

    The incident occurred in the 32nd minute of the Challenge Cup clash with Featherstone Rovers on March 21.

    Flanagan, who denied the charge, was issued with the ban and a £250 fine after the Rugby Football League's match review panel referred the matter to a tribunal.

    The RFL described it as a "Grade F incident", the most serious grading.

    Flanagan was given an eight-match suspension in 2019 for a similar incident involving Toronto Wolfpack's Hakim Miloudi.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.