Wolfpack to complete season, but no games in Toronto

By Sports Desk July 16, 2020

Toronto Wolfpack have announced they will complete their first Super League season but they will not play on home soil until next year.

It had been reported that the Wolfpack may have to pull out of the rest of the campaign due to visa issues which could make the likes of marquee signing Sonny Bill Williams unavailable for selection.

Toronto were included when the fixtures for the rest of the season, which resumes on August 2 after being halted due to the coronavirus pandemic, were announced on Thursday.

The Wolfpack will not be in action at Lamport Stadium, though, with games played behind closed doors at a small number of venues – including triple-headers at Headingley and Langtree Park.

There will be 15 rounds of matches and a Top Four semi-final play-off before the Grand Final is stage late in November.

Wolfpack chairman and chief executive Bob Hunter says there is no chance the club could have played in Toronto again until 2021.

"These are truly challenging times for our sport and the work carried out means teams are able to return and complete the 2020 season, whilst ensuring the safety and welfare of our players," said Hunter.

"Games in August will start behind closed doors, however there is a chance that fans will be able to watch games in stadiums in the UK and France towards the end of the season.

"Additional games have also been selected for broadcast to allow fans to stay as connected as possible with their teams.

"Regrettably for the Wolfpack the challenges around travel, international border protocols and the hosting of public events in Toronto have proved too significant for the team to be able to host games at Lamport Stadium this season.

"This is not a decision that has been taken lightly, and we vow to return to Toronto bigger and better than ever before in 2021."

Related items

  • Wigan go top as Grace and Saints dismantle Leeds in ruthless rout Wigan go top as Grace and Saints dismantle Leeds in ruthless rout

    Regan Grace scored one of the greatest hat-tricks in Super League history as defending champions St Helens gave Leeds Rhinos' title credentials a brutal examination, leaving Wigan Warriors top.

    Leeds led the primitive 2020 table heading into Sunday's play but had been usurped at the summit by the time they took on Saints in the late match thanks to a Wigan win.

    The Rhinos failed spectacularly to respond to that result as they were crushed 48-0, failing to score at home for the first time in a Super League fixture.

    It was one-way traffic from the outset as James Graham, Alex Walmsley and Tommy Makinson all crossed, before Grace stole the show.

    The winger - previously without a try this season - displayed a scintillating turn of speed to race 90 metres upfield, dancing past the final two blue and amber shirts for a remarkable score.

    Grace was far from done, too, and dived over in the corner to put the result beyond any doubt, then added the best of the lot, this time dashing 100 metres to complete his treble.

    There was still time for Theo Fages and Lachlan Coote to add to the scoring as Saints moved level on points with their outclassed opponents, who never threatened to repeat last week's incredible comeback against Huddersfield Giants.

    Wigan have top spot but their victory over Wakefield Trinity was nowhere near as straightforward, withstanding a late fightback in a 23-22 success.

    Zak Hardaker opened the scoring for Wigan in his 200th Super League appearance, yet Liam Kay's late double set up a nervy finish.

    In the first game of the day, Salford Red Devils took apart Hull FC 54-18.

  • Eels sink Sharks in soaking Sydney Eels sink Sharks in soaking Sydney

    Mitchell Moses' 69th-minute penalty proved crucial as the Parramatta Eels ran out 14-12 winners against Cronulla Sharks at a soaking Netstrata Jubilee Stadium.

    Veteran Shaun Johnson set up two of the Sharks' three tries and his playmaking was generally excellent but his failure to execute any of Cronulla's conversions proved crucial.

    Dylan Brown and Kane Evans tries in either half had the Eels ahead, with Jesse Ramien's score the Sharks' only first-half points.

    A quickfire double from Ronaldo Mulitalo tied up a hectic game, which saw handling errors mixed with supreme skill in torrential rain.

    But ultimately it was Moses' kick after Braden Hamlin-Uele took out Reagan Campbell-Gillard off the ball that proved decisive and moved the Eels to third on the NRL ladder.

    In Sunday's other NRL contest, Alexander Brimson inspired Gold Coast Titans to a 30-10 triumph over the North Queensland Cowboys.

    A stunning first half saw the full-back score two tries, create another and save one at Cbus Super Stadium.

    Anthony Don, Kevin Proctor, Brian Kelly, Phillip Sami also touched down in a six-try outing for the Titans, who earned the Queensland bragging rights to jump ahead of the Cowboys into 13th.

  • Folau stars as Dragons rout Tigers, Wolves thrash Hull KR Folau stars as Dragons rout Tigers, Wolves thrash Hull KR

    Israel Folau scored a try and set up three more as the Catalans Dragons came from behind to thrash Castleford Tigers 40-14 in Super League.

    The Tigers raced into a 14-point lead following Michael Shenton's early double but fell apart when Peter Mata'utia was sin-binned with 10 first-half minutes to go.

    Catalans scored 40 unanswered points as Folau teed up Tom Davies for the first of the visitors' seven tries.

    Folau – who once again did not kneel for the Black Lives Movement prior to kick-off – also went in prior to half-time, before the centre set up a further tries after the interval.

    Warrington Wolves also scored 40 points in their first Super League match back as they cruised to a comfortable 40-10 win over Hull KR.

    Tom Lineham scored two of their seven tries, with Josh Charnley, Gareth Widdop and Stefan Ratchford among the others to go over.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.