Depleted Raiders silence Roosters in Sydney

By Sports Desk July 16, 2020

Canberra Raiders defied a lengthy injury list to defeat reigning premiers Sydney Roosters 24-20 in a repeat of the 2019 NRL Grand Final.

Jarrod Croker scored a try and was on target with all four of his conversion attempts as the depleted Raiders gained a modicum of revenge for last year's 14-8 loss to the same opponents in the title decider.

Forward duo Dunamis Lui and Josh Papalii both touched down during impressive individual displays for a pack missing English pairing Josh Hodgson and John Bateman.

There was also a try for George Williams as the Raiders – who handed a debut to Semi Valemei off the bench – turned around a 12-6 half-time deficit to triumph at Sydney Cricket Ground, a result that lifts them up to seventh on the ladder.

Brett Morris crossed twice for the Roosters in the opening 40 minutes, while Matt Ikuvalu's try just before the hour mark was converted by Kyle Flanagan from out wide to make it 20-18 to the hosts.

However, Papalii waltzed through a large hole in the Sydney defensive line soon after to give the visitors a lead they managed to retain through to the final hooter.

Related items

  • Rabbitohs coach Bennett and Dragons' Vaughan forced into self-isolation Rabbitohs coach Bennett and Dragons' Vaughan forced into self-isolation

    South Sydney Rabbitohs coach Wayne Bennett and St George Illawarra Dragons prop Paul Vaughan will go into self-isolation amid coronavirus concerns.

    Bennett and Vaughan breached NRL biosecurity protocols by dining separately at restaurants.

    The pair have been placed in a 14-day "COVID Hold" and they will isolate for two weeks and must test negative for coronavirus before returning.

    "We are living in extraordinary times and we must do everything in our power to ensure the health and safety of our players, staff and the general community," NRL acting chief executive Andrew Abdo said.

    "This is a regrettable decision but today's actions will operate as an important reminder to our players and staff about the importance of strict adherence to the protocols.

    "Our players and staff have made significant sacrifices to ensure the season can proceed. I have sympathy for the liberties they have had to give up and I am proud of how well the overwhelming majority have complied with our protocols.

    "We have worked closely with governments, biosecurity experts and our clubs to ensure a successful and entertaining season and today's enforcement of protocols will ensure no risk to the playing groups or the general community."

    The Rabbitohs and Dragons are battling to finish in the top eight and face the Brisbane Broncos and Sydney Roosters respectively in round 13.

  • Warrington coach Price rules out Widdop Dragons return Warrington coach Price rules out Widdop Dragons return

    Warrington Wolves coach Steve Price says he was "blindsided" by reports that Gareth Widdop could return to St George Illawarra Dragons.

    News Corp this week reported that Widdop wanted to head back to the NRL for personal reasons just seven months after signing a three-year deal with Warrington.

    It was claimed Corey Norman had been offered to the Wolves in exchange for Widdop after the Dragons five-eighth was dropped for the clash with Sydney Roosters.

    Price has ruled out the possibility of half-back Widdop leaving the Super League club as they prepare to return to action against Hull KR on Saturday following a hiatus due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    He told reporters on Wednesday: "I was totally blindsided by that. Gareth is really happy at our club.

    "He's really enjoyed his time here at Warrington Wolves. He is contracted here for a number of years now and the player that has been linked to us – that will definitely not be happening. He would not even come into my thought process."

    Dragons coach Paul McGregor was also surprised by talk of Widdop and Norman swapping clubs.

    He said earlier in the day: "The first time [Norman] hasn't been picked in 18 months at the club and we're talking about Gareth coming back already.

    "That's too unfair at this raw stage to even talk about it. And it hasn't been mentioned to me with the recruitment either.

    "I have not been told anything about that and it's just so unfair to the player, in Corey, that's here. We want Corey to play well this year."

  • Arthur signs new Eels deal Arthur signs new Eels deal

    Brad Arthur has signed a new deal to remain as Parramatta Eels coach until the end of 2022.

    The Eels kept faith with Arthur despite suffering the ignominy of finishing with the NRL wooden spoon in 2018 and the 46-year-old has rewarded the powers that be.

    Parramatta made the semi-finals last year and they are sitting pretty in third place after 12 rounds of the current campaign.

    Arthur has masterminded five wins in the Eels' past six games and has earned a one-year contract extension.

    "I'm really pleased that the club has the confidence in me to continue to lead the team towards our goal of bringing success to our members and fans," Arthur said in a statement.

    "Our playing group has evolved quite considerably over the last couple of years and they are determined to drive high standards to ensure we achieve our goals.

    "I am looking forward to the challenge of leading this group and continuing to develop our emerging junior talent in an exciting period for our club and I know that the blue and gold army will be behind us every step of the way."

    Only Brian Smith has taken charge of more Eels games than Arthur, who was appointed six years ago.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.