Jamaica selects team for World Rugby Challenger Series next month

By January 20, 2020

Conan Osborne will lead a 15-man squad named to represent Jamaica 7s at the inaugural World Rugby Challenger Series Tournament to be held in Chile & Uruguay February 15-23, 2020.

After a rigorous selection process, Head Coach Stephen Lewis was finally able to select a squad in what he described as a difficult process.

“There were some hard decisions to make given the increased competition for places on the team,” he said.

“That having been said, this is a strong squad with a good balance of veterans and younger players. These tournaments are a great opportunity for Jamaica to showcase its’ talents and break into the top 20.”

The full squad includes Rhodri Adamson (Chile only), Anthony Bingham, Tyler Bush, Mason Caton-Brown, Omari Caro, Dylan Davies, Oshane Edie, Mikel Facey, Dyneal Fessell, Conan Osborne (captain), Samuel Rees, Lucas Roy-Smith, Mike St. Claire.

non-travelling reserves: Omar Dixon, Andrew Simpson

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • Feeling fit and sharp as ever, Jamaican hurdler Thomas looking good to book spot on Olympic team Feeling fit and sharp as ever, Jamaican hurdler Thomas looking good to book spot on Olympic team

    Jamaica hurdler Damion Thomas believes he is finally firmly back on the right track after several recent seasons where he was plagued by injuries and indifferent form.

    The 21-year-old Louisiana State University student registered his first NCAA title this past indoor season and last month continued that form with brilliant hurdling, which saw him clock a world-leading 13.22 seconds (1.3m/s) at the Texas Relays.

    The efforts mark a comeback of sorts for Thomas who tied the U20 world record in the 110-meter hurdles, after running 12.99 over the 39-inch height at the 2018 Jamaican Junior Championships. He then followed up the record-breaking moment by winning gold at the World U20 Championships.

    A quadriceps injury during the 2019 season, however, hampered the hurdler's efforts to build on a promising start to his collegiate career and, of course, in 2020, the global pandemic saw sports grind to a halt for several months.

     "I'd say last year's coronavirus [pandemic] shutting down the season was probably more heartbreaking than my sophomore year and the injuries," Thomas said in an interview with Milesplit USA.

    "I felt healthy, training was going so well into the meet and then they shut it down for everybody. Right after that meeting, I remember all of us just going to one room and we literally were staring out the window. 'Like dang this is crazy.'"

     The athlete, however, managed to use the quarantine period to his advantage, putting work into honing his technique.  He has emerged from the hiatus as strong and sharp as ever and is so far a big favourite to secure a spot on the Jamaica Olympic squad later this year.

    "It feels good to know that I'm on the right path," Thomas said of his resurgence.

    “I think the big thing now is ... not to be complacent and continue to look at the flaws in my race to see where I can get better. I want to stay hungry and continue to feel like an underdog. Even though I'm world-leading, that doesn't mean anything going forward."

     

  • Retired Jamaica international Simpson calls for unity following end to JFF, Reggae Boyz contract dispute Retired Jamaica international Simpson calls for unity following end to JFF, Reggae Boyz contract dispute

    Retied Jamaica international, Fitzroy Simpson, has called for the return of the spirit of togetherness for the Reggae Boyz, expressing the hope that the current squad can go on to match the exploits of his historic 1998 unit.

    Up until recently, some members of the Jamaica national team and the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) were embroiled in a bitter contractual dispute, which saw several members of the team unavailable for the Caribbean team’s clash against the United States last month.

    With the dispute now settled, and the CONCACAF Gold Cup and World Cup qualifiers coming later this year, Simpson is urging both parties to come together.

    “Unity is so important,” Simpson said in a recent interview with the Irish Mirror.

    “The set-up now has to be unified and improvements made on the business side,” he added.

    Simpson was one of several English-based players to join the Jamaica national team ahead of their historic qualification for the World Cup in France.  The former Manchester City and Portsmouth player started all three games at the tournament and has fond memories of not just playing at the final itself but also the build-up.

    “It was breathtaking.  It was the greatest honour in my playing career to lead Jamaica to history,” Simpson said.

    “I remember my mother, my brother, and my uncle in the stadium when we qualified.  I looked at them and couldn't believe what we had achieved because Jamaica wasn't recognised as a footballing nation.  The whole country really drove us on, the support was incredible.”

     

     

  • Jamaica international Moore vows to quit social media after racist abuse Jamaica international Moore vows to quit social media after racist abuse

    Jamaica international Liam Moore has vowed to quit social media after being the subject of vile abuse earlier this week. 

    The Reading captain was the target of a poll that posed the racist question “Should a n***** be captain of Reading FC?" The account has since been deleted.

    In response, Moore also laid the blame at the feet of the social media platform.  The issue has once again been the subject of intense scrutiny in recent weeks.

    "2021 and I'm not ****ing surprised in the slightest. Twitter you're as much to blame for making it so easy to abuse people,” he tweeted.

     Earlier this week, Swansea announced that they would not take part in any social media activity for two weeks, following the abuse of another Jamaica international Jamal Lowe.  They were joined in protest by Scottish club Rangers.  Arsenal legend Thierry Henry had also previously announced the decision to delete his social media accounts in a bid to direct attention to the issue.

    While pointing out that he had enjoyed interacting with the fans via social media, Moore denoted the environment to be an increasingly toxic one.

    "I have enjoyed engaging with many of you on here over the years but tonight was just another example of Twitter being toxic,” he added.

    "You have to stand for something and for that reason I am deactivating my account. Thanks for your support."

     

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.