Sexton in battle to be fit for Six Nations opener

By Sports Desk December 13, 2019

Johnny Sexton faces a battle to be fit for Ireland's Six Nations opener against Scotland. 

The fly-half suffered a knee injury during Leinster's European Champions Cup victory over Northampton Saints at Franklin's Gardens last weekend.

Leinster head coach Leo Cullen is unsure how long his captain will be sidelined but is hopeful he will be ready to face Scotland at the Aviva Stadium in Andy Farrell's first game in charge on February 1.

"You would love if he was back [to play for Leinster before the Six Nations], but it's probably more realistic for Ireland," Cullen said.

"He's seeing somebody in the UK and he'll go back there just to get an update in a couple of weeks.

"He's working hard to try and get himself back as quickly as possible, but he won't be a million miles away [for the start of the Six Nations] hopefully."

Scott Fardy will skipper Leinster in the absence of Sexton in the return fixture against Northampton in Dublin on Saturday.

The Pro14 champions, runners-up in Europe's premier club competition last season, are top of Pool 1 with three wins out of three.

Related items

  • Ardie Savea wants NRL switch Ardie Savea wants NRL switch

    Hurricanes and New Zealand back-row Ardie Savea has spoken of his desire to play in the NRL and could switch codes as early as next year.

    The 26-year-old is sidelined with a knee injury after undergoing surgery.

    Savea, capped 44 times by the All Blacks, is contracted to New Zealand Rugby until the end of 2021 and pulled out of a deal to join Top 14 side Pau after the Rugby World Cup last year.

    The flanker says a switch to rugby league was on his mind before he was injured during the World Cup.

    Asked if he wants to play in the 13-a-side format, he told the Ice Project podcast: "100 per cent.

    "I just think they [the players] do a lot more in terms of off the field stuff than New Zealand. And also, just a new challenge. I want to test myself.

    “Learning a whole new game and seeing if I can dominate or play the way I play in union and if I can do that in league. That excites me.

    "Seeing guys like Sonny [Bill Willians] do it and the way that has benefited him. It kind of plays on my mind a bit.

    "It sucks that I got this injury because I was low key thinking about it [a code switch] for next year."

    Savea has already given some thought to which team he would fancy joining.

    "Strategically I would want to go to a team that was good or dominating, like the Melbourne Storm or the [Sydney] Roosters." he added.

  • Zebre & Benetton Treviso Pro14 games postponed because of coronavirus Zebre & Benetton Treviso Pro14 games postponed because of coronavirus

    Zebre and Benetton Treviso have each had their Pro14 fixtures for this weekend postponed due to the threat posed by the coronavirus.

    Parma-based club Zebre were due to face Ospreys while Treviso were set to host Ulster.

    However, both fixtures will now have to be rearranged, with restrictions put in place to prevent the spread of the coronavirus, known officially as Covid-19, forcing the games to be called off.

    There have been 209 confirmed cases of coronavirus in Italy, with the death toll officially rising to five on Monday.

    A Pro14 statement read: "Both Guinness PRO14 fixtures set to take place in Italy this weekend have been postponed due to the restrictions enforced by national and local authorities dealing with the threat posed by the Coronavirus (Covid-19) outbreak.

    "The current restrictions are in place until Sunday, March 1, 2020 and PRO14 Rugby will remain in contact with the FIR [Italian Union], Zebre Rugby Club, Benetton Rugby and World Rugby to monitor situation on a daily basis."

    Four Serie A football matches were postponed on Sunday, including Inter's clash with Sampdoria.

    Saturday's scheduled Serie B match between Ascoli and Cremonese was postponed and up to 88 amateur football games were also called off.

  • Scarlets and Blues fight back to sink Kings and Treviso Scarlets and Blues fight back to sink Kings and Treviso

    Scarlets turned on the style in the final half hour to avoid an upset against Southern Kings, while Cardiff Blues fought back to defeat Benetton Treviso 34-24 in Pro14 on Sunday.

    After being edged out by Edinburgh last time out, Scarlets found themselves trailing 17-12 to a Kings side with just one win to their name this season.

    However, Ryan Conbeer converted his own try in the 51st minute and further scores from Uzair Cassiem, Dan Jones and Tom Rogers – on his first Pro14 home start – earned a 36-17 win at Parc y Scarlets.

    The Blues were in a perilous position at half-time as tries from Ian Keatley, Irne Herbst and Toa Halafihi helped Treviso into a 19-7 lead – Jason Harries' providing the sole reply from Cardiff.

    Garyn Smith and Ryan Edwards tries – the second of which was converted – levelled things up and, although Halafihi's second briefly put Treviso back ahead, Seb Davies and Lewis Jones crossed and Jason Tovey kicked five more points to seal the points for the Blues.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.