Foster vows to 'reinvent' himself as New Zealand boss

By Sports Desk December 11, 2019

Ian Foster knows he will have to "reinvent" himself after stepping up to replace Steve Hansen as head coach of New Zealand.

Foster was on Wednesday appointed as All Blacks boss on a two-year deal.

The 54-year-old spent eight years as assistant to Hansen, who left his post following the Rugby World Cup.

Foster is aware he must stamp his own mark on the role in order to make New Zealand the best in the world once again after they were beaten by England at the semi-final stage in Japan.

"I guess I've got a job now to reinvent myself a bit with the public and with the media." said Foster.

"I've been eight years as an assistant coach and my job was to try to be the best assistant the All Blacks needed me to be.

"We've had a big fella [Hansen] there who I love greatly and he's got his own style and my style has been to complement that.

"Now it's time for you to see me in a new light and that's up to me to show you that I'm innovative, I've got a sense of direction of where I want this team to go, and I'm extremely passionate about adding a new touch to it and to really grow and get some mana back on the field, which we feel we might have lost."

Foster, whose contract starts at the beginning of 2020, got the nod over Crusaders head coach Scott Robertson, who was also interviewed for the job.

Incoming New Zealand Rugby chief Mark Robinson hinted Robertson's time may come to take charge of his country.

"As someone who knows Razor well as a former team-mate, he was a very impressive candidate and these decisions are never easy." said Robinson.

"We know Razor is an outstanding coach and I have no doubt he’ll have a big future in our game at international level."

Related items

  • Bath 31-20 Gloucester: Hosts score 28 unanswered points to go second with stunning fightback Bath 31-20 Gloucester: Hosts score 28 unanswered points to go second with stunning fightback

    Bath produced a stunning second-half comeback to beat Gloucester 31-20 in the Premiership.

    Matt Banahan's try 17 minutes into the second half against his former club gave Gloucester a commanding 20-3 lead at The Recreation Ground.

    But Bath, who had hoped to have 1,000 fans in attendance as part of a pilot scheme abandoned by the UK government on Tuesday, stormed back in unbelievable fashion, scoring 28 unanswered points.

    Tom Dunn went over twice in the space of five minutes before Lewis Boyce gave Bath the lead and Ben Spencer crossed to secure a bonus point two minutes from time.

    Bath move second with a game to play, in which they will face relegated Saracens. They are six points clear of fourth-placed Sale Sharks and fifth-placed Bristol Bears, though both have a game in hand, in the race for the top four.

  • Coronavirus: UK government pauses plans for fans' October return to sporting events in England Coronavirus: UK government pauses plans for fans' October return to sporting events in England

    The United Kingdom government has paused plans for the return of fans to live sporting events in England from October 1 due to the rise in coronavirus cases.

    On Monday, the COVID-19 alert level in the UK was raised to a four, meaning transmission of the virus is "high or exponentially rising", with prime minister Boris Johnson set to outline fresh measures to halt the increase in cases.

    Plans to bring supporters back into stadia were placed under review earlier this month and pilot events were restricted to 1,000 people in attendance.

    However, government minister Michael Gove confirmed to BBC Breakfast on Tuesday that pilot schemes were now on hold, as are plans for fans to return in staged phases, representing a major blow to a struggling sports sector.

    "We were looking at a staged programme of more people returning – it wasn't going to be the case that we were going to have stadiums thronged with fans," Gove said.

    "We're looking at how we can, for the moment, pause that programme, but what we do want to do is to make sure that, as and when circumstances allow, get more people back.

    "The virus is less likely to spread outdoors than indoors but again it's in the nature of major sporting events that there's a lot of mingling."

    Sport has been taking place mainly behind closed doors in the UK since it returned following a full lockdown in March.

    Approximately 300 spectators were granted access to the World Snooker Championship final at the Crucible in Sheffield, while a friendly between Brighton and Hove Albion and Chelsea in August saw 2,500 fans allowed into the Amex Stadium.

    But Gove said the decision has been taken in part due to the criticism the government received for allowing full attendances to sporting events in March, when COVID-19 was posing a growing threat.

    The decision to allow the Champions League last-16 match between Liverpool and Atletico Madrid to go ahead brought scrutiny with Liverpool council probing the impact it had on the spread of the disease, while there is pressure to look into whether the Cheltenham Festival should have been permitted to proceed at full capacity.

    "People look back now at the beginning of the pandemic at some of the major sporting events then and ask the question why were they allowed to go ahead," added Gove.

    "What we must do is look at sporting events now with caution but we also recognise that sport is a vital part of this nation and we're looking at everything we can do to support our athletes, our great clubs, through what will be a challenging time."

    The latest development comes at a time where the sports industry continues to count the cost of the global pandemic.

    Over 100 leaders from sports bodies have requested emergency funding in a letter to the prime minister.

    Sport England has handed out £200million for emergency cases, but with clubs continuing to lose money many have said that does not go far enough.

    Premier League chief executive Richard Masters told the BBC earlier this month that teams were looking at losing £700m if fans are not allowed back into grounds during the 2020-21 campaign, saying it was "absolutely critical" they were brought back.

  • Chiefs reach first European Champions Cup semi-final as Toulouse thrash Ulster Chiefs reach first European Champions Cup semi-final as Toulouse thrash Ulster

    Exeter Chiefs will face Toulouse in the European Champions Cup semi-finals after overcoming fellow Premiership side Northampton Saints.

    The Chiefs reached the last four of the Champions Cup for the first time in their history thanks to a 38-15 triumph at Sandy Park on Sunday.

    It was a scoreline that did not reflect how close the encounter was at one stage, with Northampton – who went ahead through Dan Biggar's early penalty – only four points behind at half-time.

    However, second-half tries from Jack Nowell, Jonny Hill and Jacques Vermeulen, who also went over in the first half, put Exeter out of sight.

    Sandy Park will be the venue for Exeter's semi-final on Saturday, as they take on Toulouse, who comfortably dispatched Ulster 36-8 at Stade Ernest Wallon.

    Cheslin Kolbe was the star, with the South Africa wing scoring twice in a dominant display.

    Kolbe grabbed both of his tries during the first half, with Antoine Dupont, Pita Ahki and Thomas Ramos getting in on the act after the interval, before John Cooney got a late consolation for Ulster.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.