Rugby World Cup 2019: Williams 'a big loss' but Wales no weaker - Gatland

By Sports Desk October 25, 2019

Liam Williams' injury-enforced absence from the Rugby World Cup semi-final against South Africa is "a big loss" for Wales, but Warren Gatland does not think his team is any weaker.

An ankle injury sustained in an accidental collision during training ruled Williams out for the remainder of the tournament in Japan, with Leigh Halfpenny taking his place in the XV for Sunday's match in Yokohama.

However, Gatland stated Halfpenny had been close to earning a starting spot regardless and believes his experience will be an important boost for Wales.

"[Williams] is undoubtedly a big loss from an attacking perspective and what he has achieved in the game in the last year or so," said Gatland.

"But bringing in the experience of someone like Leigh Halfpenny gives us a different element.

"He is defensively probably the best full-back in the world in terms of his aerial game and coverage defensively.

"We had a long debate about whether we started Leigh in the first place and potentially move Liam to the wing.

"There was a long discussion about that so Leigh was probably unlucky he was not in the team in the first place.

"We are disappointed for a world-class player like Liam but we are happy bringing in someone with the experience of Leigh.

"It is a change but we don't think that we are weakening the side in any way with the changes we have made."

Jonathan Davies will start at centre after overcoming a knee injury and Gatland is pleased to have him available for the first time since the pool stage win over Fiji.

"We hope he is fit. He has come through training this week," said Gatland. "He was very close last week and he made a decision last week to rule himself out for the betterment of the team.

"Hopefully we can get through the rain today with the training and it won't affect us too much.

"We will have a shorter session this afternoon and we are excited where we are at the moment."

South Africa were dealt an injury blow of their own with livewire wing Cheslin Kolbe missing out after aggravating an ankle injury in the quarter-final success over Tokyo.

"Obviously he is a big loss to them with his ability to score tries and his footwork," Gatland said of Kolbe, for whom Sbu Nkosi will deputise.

"We were probably going to target him aerially anyway. You talk about their kicking game, I think our kicking game has to be good as well. They definitely have a bit of pace in the back three.

"At this stage of the tournament, you are always going to lose a couple of quality players, and in them losing Kolbe and us losing Liam Williams, it's probably one each in terms of that."

Related items

  • Proteas paceman Ngidi set to miss Boxing Day Test Proteas paceman Ngidi set to miss Boxing Day Test

    South Africa paceman Lungi Ngidi is set to miss the first Test against England due to a hamstring injury.

    Cricket South Africa (CSA) on Sunday revealed Ngidi sustained a "significant Grade 1 hamstring muscle tear" during Tshwane Spartans' warm-up for the Mzansi Super League (MSL T20) play-off against the Nelson Mandela Bay Giants on Friday.

    The 23-year-old quick has been ruled out of the MSL T20 final versus Paarl Rocks on Monday.

    Ngidi looks unlikely to feature in the Boxing Day Test at the start of a new Proteas era under head coach Mark Boucher and it remains to be seen when he will be available to return.

    CSA chief medical officer Dr Shuaib Manjra said: "Lungi Ngidi sustained an acute hamstring muscle injury during the warm-up prior to the MSL T20 play-off on Friday.

    "Scans done on Saturday showed a significant Grade 1 tear of his hamstring muscle and therefore he has been ruled out of the MSL T20 final.

    "He will commence his rehab and return to play program with the aim of getting him fit to play for the Momentum Multiply Titans in January 2020 and based on his progress, a decision will be made regarding his availability for selection for the Proteas team."

    Ngidi has been plagued by a series of injuries early in his career, most recently damaging his hamstring during the Cricket World Cup.

    South Africa name their Test squad to face England on Monday.

  • Exeter overpower Sale, classy Clermont cut loose Exeter overpower Sale, classy Clermont cut loose

    Exeter Chiefs overpowered domestic rivals Sale Sharks while Clermont Auvergne crushed Bath in Sunday's European Champions Cup action.

    The all-Premiership clash at Sandy Park saw Exeter lead just 7-3 at the break, but the Sharks were eventually thumped 35-10 after capsizing in a hailstorm-interrupted second half.

    Sam Simmonds crossed in each half while brother Joe also grabbed a try for the Chiefs, who sit top of Pool 2 after a fourth successive win in this season's competition.

    They appear certainties to seal a place in the last eight for just the second time in their history, as they have a firm grip on a pool that also includes Glasgow Warriors and La Rochelle.

    Sam James scored the only try of the contest for Sale but the heavy loss on their travels leaves the struggling Sharks with just six points to their name.

    Clermont, meanwhile, moved to within a point of Pool 3 leaders Ulster thanks to a 52-26 thrashing of Bath at Stade Marcel-Michelin.

    Alivereti Raka and George Moala both touched down twice for the Top 14 side, who had the bonus point wrapped up by half-time as they scored eight tries in the rout.

    Bath went over four times themselves to collect a losing bonus, though they remain rooted to the bottom of the table as their wait for a European victory this season goes on.

  • EPCR to investigate Saracens-Munster melee EPCR to investigate Saracens-Munster melee

    European Champions Cup organisers have launched an investigation into a mass melee during Saracens' win over Munster on Saturday.

    Tempers flared during the second half of a 15-6 Pool 4 victory for the defending champions at Allianz Park.

    Sarries assistant coach Alex Sanderson alleged in an interview with BT Sport that a comment about England hooker Jamie George's weight made by the Irish province's chief medic sparked the fracas.

    Mark McCall, the Saracens director of rugby, later added: "Clearly, this shouldn't happen, we all know that. I don't think what was said to Jamie was good at all. It started a 30-man brawl.

    "Owen Farrell got penalised for running into the melee but, from what I saw, 29 other people ran into it. It was a strange penalty to give and it was instigated by a member of their staff who said something horrible to one of our players.

    "Something pretty bad was said at Jamie. He wouldn't have reacted the way he reacted otherwise. We'll take our time to decide whether we do anything."

    European Professional Club Rugby (EPCR) on Sunday confirmed it will look into the ugly scenes.

    "EPCR has decided to investigate incidents which occurred during the second half of the Champions Cup, Round 4 match between Saracens and Munster Rugby at Allianz Park yesterday," a statement from the governing body read.

    "Information will now be sought from the match officials and from both clubs, and EPCR will be making no further comment until the investigation has been completed."

    Munster remain second behind Racing 92 with two matches to play despite the defeat, a point better off than Sarries.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.