Rugby World Cup 2019: A statistical look at Wales v South Africa

By Sports Desk October 25, 2019

South Africa stand in the way of Wales and a first Rugby World Cup final appearance when they do battle in Yokohama on Sunday.

Wales have twice suffered the agony of a semi-final defeat, losing to New Zealand in 1987 and France in 2011.

South Africa won both of their previous World Cup encounters with Wales and have looked ominous in Japan as they attempt to lift the Webb Ellis Cup for a third time. 

We pick out some Key Opta facts ahead of the second semi-final as the Six Nations champions and Rugby Championship winners eye a showdown with England or the All Blacks.

 

5 - Wales have won five of their last six Tests against South Africa, coming out on top in the last four meetings.

3 - South Africa have conceded just three tries in five games during the tournament - two of which came in their defeat to New Zealand.

12 - Wales have conceded more tries (12) in the World Cup than their previous two campaigns combined (10).

30 - The Springboks have scored more tries (30) and points (211) than any other side in the tournament.

86 - Dan Biggar needs 14 points to become the first Wales player to score 100 World Cup points. Neil Jenkins leads the way with 98 and Stephen Jones notched 95.

32 - South Africa have won 32 of 34 World Cup games in which they have led at half-time.

Related items

  • Thorpe challenges England players to find Ashes-worthy resilience Thorpe challenges England players to find Ashes-worthy resilience

    England assistant coach Graham Thorpe wants players to use their experience of the 1-0 Test series defeat in New Zealand to develop a harder edge.

    Joe Root's side are back in action in South Africa later this month, with the first of four Tests starting on Boxing Day at Centurion.

    James Anderson, Mark Wood and Jonny Bairstow are expected to return to the squad having sat out the trip to New Zealand, where a draw in Hamilton meant the tourists were unable to overturn an innings defeat in the first Test at Mount Maunganui.

    Nevertheless, Thorpe acknowledges there is a bigger picture to consider when it comes to England developing their Test game under new head coach Chris Silverwood – namely the next chance to regain the Ashes in 2021-22.

    "We've got to keep developing our players, no doubt about that. They have to ask themselves when they come away from a trip like this: where can I get better?" said Thorpe, as quoted by The Guardian.

    "Because the big picture is that down the line, in a couple of years' time, we'll need resilient cricketers going to Australia.

    "It’s down to our players to be honest and for us to be honest with them.

    "If we are going to keep trying to go up that Test ladder and really compete abroad then we have to keep challenging the players along the way."

  • RA chief Castle defends Folau settlement RA chief Castle defends Folau settlement

    Raelene Castle insisted Rugby Australia (RA) did not back down in the Israel Folau case, saying settling was the best financial decision for the governing body.

    Folau and RA reached a confidential agreement on Wednesday and issued corresponding apologies after an end to their legal dispute.

    The 30-year-old was sacked by RA for what the body said was a "high-level breach" of its code after he posted hell awaits "drunks, homosexuals, adulterers, liars, fornicators, thieves, atheists and idolaters" on Instagram. He had been warned over previous online posts in 2018.

    After reports Folau would be paid eight million Australian dollars in damages – something Castle dismissed as "wildly inaccurate" – the RA chief executive defended the decision to settle.

    "We didn't back down. We needed to give the game cost certainty," she told a news conference on Thursday.

    "The feedback we were getting from our rugby community was that they wanted this matter settled, they want to go into the new year knowing that they can go in with a clean slate and start talking about rugby again instead of talking about this case."

    Castle, who insisted she would not resign, said settling was the best decision financially for RA.

    "These are ultimately commercial decisions. We had to make a decision that was right for rugby in this country," she said.

    "We made the right decision in calling out Israel on his posts and on his inappropriate messaging. That remains the same, we stick to our values that inclusiveness is absolutely core to the key of rugby.

    "Ultimately, taking this conversation further into a court situation was not helping the game so we made a decision that gave us cost certainty, that put us in the best financial situation entering the new year in a positive way."

  • JFF silence forces Reggae Girlz head coach into calling it quits JFF silence forces Reggae Girlz head coach into calling it quits

    Despite numerous successes in recent times, Reggae Girlz head coach, Hue Menzies has decided he can no longer continue in his capacity after a protracted dispute did not seem to be coming to an amicable solution.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.