Leeds Rhinos fined for salary cap breaches

By Sports Desk October 21, 2019

Super League giants Leeds Rhinos have been fined for salary cap breaches in 2018, the Rugby Football League (RFL) have announced.

Leeds have been fined £20,000 for the breaches, although half of that sum will remain suspended for two years.

"It was established during a routine RFL audit that Leeds had failed to declare payments to three players," an RFL statement said.

"The total amount of the breach was £55,000, with the club found to have exceeded the finite salary cap at four separate points during the season by sums ranging from £10,500 to £25,500. 

"Leeds Rhinos acknowledged these errors and reached an 'Agreed Decision' with the RFL in accordance with RFL processes, thereby removing the need for an Independent Tribunal."

Leeds Rhinos CEO Gary Hetherington said the breaches were due to "an administrative error".

"This was an administrative error on our part for which I take responsibility and we are obviously disappointed to lose our 23-year unblemished salary cap compliance record," Hetherington said.

"We had no idea we had exceeded the 'live' cap at the time and with hindsight we could have averted the breach by loaning out a player to another club.

"Two of the players, Jack Walker and Luke Briscoe, were promoted from part time to full time status during the season and whilst their increased monthly payments were included in our salary cap return to the RFL, we didn't lodge their new contracts until the end of the season. 

"Matt Parcell also had his contract extended at the start of the season and whilst the increased monthly payments were paid the contract wasn't signed and lodged with the RFL until the end of the season and those combined breaches created the breach we now accept.

"Managing a Super League club salary cap is, and has always been, a very precise operation and we have now revised some of our internal procedures to ensure we don’t make the same mistake again."

Leeds are the most successful Super League club, having won eight titles since the competition's 1996 inception.

The Rhinos finished ninth in the 2018 season, missing the play-offs.

Related items

  • Fifita learned 'big lesson' from Bali jail time Fifita learned 'big lesson' from Bali jail time

    Brisbane Broncos forward David Fifita said he has learned a "big lesson" after spending time in a Bali jail following an alleged nightclub altercation.

    The teenager was arrested after a reported incident with a security guard last week.

    Queensland Maroons back-rower Fifita was released and has now returned to Australia, speaking to the media after touching down on Tuesday.

    Fifita will explain his version of events to an NRL Integrity Unit and the 19-year-old expressed his gratitude to those who played a part in getting him back home.

    "There has been a lot going on behind the scenes and I am really grateful for that," said Fifita.

    "I have learnt a big lesson from what I’ve been through over the past few days."

    NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg warned players to be more responsible off the field, or else risk putting their careers in danger.

    "It's a timely reminder that players need to be acutely aware of the position they put themselves in," Greenberg said on Tuesday.

    "I don't want to see players miss games but if they continue to make poor decisions then they'll suffer the consequences. Players know the decisions they make are important.”

    "In relation to David Fifita I am pleased he is home because it would've been a harrowing experience. I'll wait for the report from the Integrity Unit [before deciding if any action is necessary].

    "I don't want to have another off-season of players doing the wrong thing. I get frustrated because there are so many good stories to be told. I want to talk about the great things our players do off the field."

  • Broncos forward Fifita released from Bali jail Broncos forward Fifita released from Bali jail

    David Fifita has been released from a Bali jail just over two days after the Brisbane Broncos forward was allegedly involved in a nightclub brawl.

    The 19-year-old second-rower was arrested after a reported altercation with a security guard on Friday.

    The Queensland Maroons State of Origin prodigy is no longer in custody and will return to Australia on Tuesday.

    A Broncos statement released on Monday said: "The Broncos and local legal representatives have worked with Indonesian authorities to ensure David's release.

    "David was respectful of Indonesian law and cooperated fully with local law enforcement throughout his incarceration.

    "The Broncos have been working closely with the NRL Integrity Unit, and David will outline his version of events to the Unit in coming days.

    "He will arrive home in Brisbane tomorrow, accompanied by a Broncos official who travelled to Bali to provide support after David was taken into custody."

  • Saifiti signs Newcastle Knights contract extension Saifiti signs Newcastle Knights contract extension

    New South Wales prop Daniel Saifiti has extended his contract with the Newcastle Knights for a further two seasons.

    Saifiti, 23, will remain at the club until at least the end of 2022.

    The front-rower made 21 appearances as the Knights finished 11th this season and becomes the first player to agree to an extension under new coach Adam O'Brien.

    "While there have been some tough times, we showed improvement this season and are getting better," said Saifiti, who earned a State of Origin debut in June.

    "We've signed some quality players in recent times and that has certainly helped with my development.

    "I owe a lot to this club. My brother Jacob and I came here as teenagers to play under-20s and I've been living my dream ever since."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.