Rugby World Cup 2019: Simplicity key for quarter-final bound Springboks - Erasmus

By Sports Desk October 08, 2019

Rassie Erasmus was pleased to see South Africa keep things simple in tricky conditions as they booked a place in the Rugby World Cup quarter-finals on Tuesday.

A much-changed Springboks side rounded off their Pool B fixtures with a resounding 66-7 victory over Canada in Kobe, Cobus Reinach effectively putting the game to bed in the first half with a hat-trick in the space of 10 minutes and 25 seconds.

Damian de Allende, S'Busiso Nkosi, Warrick Gelant, Frans Steyn, Schalk Brits, Damian Willemse and Frans Malherbe also touched down in a comprehensive victory amid high humidity.

Matt Heaton scored the only try for Canada, who will hope to claim their first point when they face Pool B's other winless team Namibia on Sunday.

South Africa have at least 11 days until they are back in action with a quarter-final against Ireland, Scotland or hosts Japan, and Erasmus was pleased to head into the knockout stages after a solid display.

He said: "It was a short turnaround for the guys, a lot of guys who hadn't played for a while. It was scrappy at stages but I can't moan about that, overall not too bad.

"In this humidity, you can overexaggerate the play and I think we kept it really simple which is a good thing.

"I think the big thing is to see who we play in the quarters, give the guys two days off and then by Friday we'll be back on the horse again.

"I think there's so much stiff opposition, but we've got a good chance like everyone else. There's so many good teams in this tournament but I think we're in with a chance.

"We played Japan a few weeks ago [a 41-7 win for the Springboks] and they're a class act. Ireland are a class act as are Scotland. Some tough opposition in the next couple of weeks."

Captain Siya Kolisi and De Allende were the only players to retain their starting places for the Canada game.

Kolisi was sidelined by a knee injury in the build-up to the competition in Japan and relished the chance to get another full match under his belt.

"It was really good [to get 80 minutes], especially with a performance like that," said Kolisi.

"I'm really proud of the boys because that's what it's going to take for us. If you don't improve every week it shows you haven't learned anything."

Related items

  • Racing too good for sorry Sarries, Biggar has Saints marching Racing too good for sorry Sarries, Biggar has Saints marching

    Saracens' European Rugby Champions Cup defence started with a comprehensive defeat at Racing 92, while Dan Biggar kicked Northampton Saints to victory over Top 14 high-flyers Lyon on Sunday.

    Sarries, who are reportedly not going to appeal against a 35-point domestic deduction for an alleged breach of salary cap rules, missed the quality of their England contingent still yet to return from Rugby World Cup duty in a 30-10 defeat in Paris.

    Virimi Vakatawa broke through a gap in just the ninth minute to get Racing underway and Teddy Thomas, fresh off a hat-trick in last week's 25-9 beating of Stade Francais, squirmed over to stretch the lead.

    Alex Lozowski finished for Saracens early in the second half after Nick Tompkins stole the ball when Finn Russell knocked on but the Scotland fly-half quickly made amends with a wonderful jinking try and Wenceslas Lauret completed a convincing Pool 4 success.

    Biggar was making his first appearance since suffering World Cup semi-final heartache with Wales and was in fine form with the boot as Northampton earned a potentially priceless Pool 1 win.

    The fly-half kicked 20 points, including six penalties, in the 25-14 beating of Top 14 leaders Lyon, who were outclassed at Franklin's Gardens.

    Rory Hutchinson scored Saints' only try in the first half and Lyon missed out on a losing bonus point despite two second-half scores from Thibaut Regard.

    Rounding out the action, a depleted Connacht side earned a fine 23-20 victory over Montpellier in their first Champions Cup outing in three years.

    Backs Tiernan O'Halloran and Kieran Marmion were absent for the clash, as were big hitters Paddy McAllister, Finlay Bealham, Quinn Roux, Gavin Thornbury and Sean O'Brien in the forwards.

    However, tries from Paul Boyle, stand-in captain Tom McCartney and Caolin Blade helped Connacht start their Pool 5 campaign with a win at the Sportsground.

  • Folau blames Australia's devastating bush fires on gay marriage and abortion Folau blames Australia's devastating bush fires on gay marriage and abortion

    Sacked Wallabies international Israel Folau has blamed gay marriage and abortion for the bush fires devastating Australia.

    Firefighters are reported to be tackling 120 blazes across the country, with 303 homes said to have been lost in New South Wales over the past week.

    Folau, a devout Christian, had his contract terminated by Rugby Australia in April for a "high-level breach" after he posted "hell awaits drunks, homosexuals, adulterers, liars, fornicators, thieves, atheists and idolaters" on Instagram.

    On Sunday, footage emerged of the 30-year-old delivering a sermon at the Church of Jesus Christ in Kenthurst, claiming the bush fires are a message from God over same-sex marriage and abortion laws.

    "God's word says for a man and a woman to be together, one man and one woman in the covenant of marriage to be together," Folau told those in attendance. 

    "They've changed that law and have now legalised same-sex marriage.

    "Abortion, it's okay now to murder and kill infants, unborn children, and they deem that to be okay.

    "You have changed the law and changed the ordinance of these things, look how rampant these bush fires, these droughts...all these things have come in a short period of time. Do you think it's a coincidence or not?

    "God is speaking to you guys, Australia. You need to repent." 

    Rugby Australia and Folau failed to reach a settlement in June over the full-back's sacking and an unfair dismissal case began in court in August.

    The former Waratahs back had been previously warned over his online posts in 2018.

  • I loved every minute of it – O'Shea steps away from Italy role I loved every minute of it – O'Shea steps away from Italy role

    Conor O'Shea says he "loved every minute" of being Italy head coach after deciding to step away from the role.

    The Irishman had a contract through to May 2020 but has opted to resign with immediate effect.

    O'Shea, a former London Irish and Harlequins coach, took over the Azzurri in March 2016, but Italy failed to make it out of the group stages of the recent Rugby World Cup.

    "I loved every minute I spent in Italy and I really believe in what we have done and how it can be achieved in the years to come," O'Shea, who has been tipped to take up a position with the English Rugby Football Union, said via a statement on the Italian Rugby Federation's official website.

    "We have started a process and generated a new, well-founded hope, but I also believe that the end of the Rugby World Cup represents the best time for everyone to make changes in view of the new cycle.

    "I built friendships and made experiences that I will never forget. I sincerely hope to have left Italian rugby in a better position."

    O'Shea's last match was the World Cup clash with South Africa, which ended in a 49-3 defeat to the eventual champions.

    Italy needed to produce an unlikely victory over New Zealand in their final pool match in order to qualify – a fixture abandoned due to Typhoon Hagibis.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.