Milner-Skudder World Cup hopes slim after shoulder surgery

By Sports Desk June 11, 2019

Nehe Milner-Skudder's hopes of playing in the Rugby World Cup appear to be over after the New Zealand utility-back underwent another shoulder operation.

Hurricanes flyer Milner-Skudder had surgery on his shoulder in October 2017 and suffered a setback while representing the All Blacks against Japan last November.

The 28-year-old will join Toulon following the World Cup, so may have played his last game for his country having gone under the knife again.

Milner-Skudder posted on Instagram: "Halfway through what's been a challenging year.

"There was plenty to work towards and look forward to on the rugby to-do list but unfortunately due to ongoing issues with my shoulder from a prior surgery not going as well we'd hoped, it was the best decision to go under the knife again to get it sorted.

"I've been through 'a few' injuries but this has easily been the toughest one - both physically and mentally. However, I'm not ready to give up anytime soon, love a good challenge and have so much love and support around me.

"Obviously I'm guttered [sic] at how the start of the year has panned out but as the great MLK [Martin Luther King] once said, 'The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.'"

Milner-Skudder scored six tries in New Zealand's World Cup triumph in England four years ago.

Related items

  • ICC suspends Cricket Zimbabwe ICC suspends Cricket Zimbabwe

    The ICC has suspended Zimbabwe Cricket (ZC) with immediate effect to ensure the sport is kept free of political interference.

    State-owned enterprise the Sports and Recreation Commission (SRC) suspended the entire Zimbabwe Cricket board last month, with an interim committee appointed to run cricket in the country.

    SRC acted after issuing a directive that the governing body elective annual general meeting would be suspended amid allegations over the nomination process and the violation of ZC's constitution, along with "various other controversies".

    The international governing body has now taken the decision to strip Zimbabwe of full member status, which puts their hopes of featuring in the T20 World Cup next year in doubt.

    An ICC statement said: "The ICC board unanimously decided that the full member had failed to fulfil their obligation to provide a process for free and democratic elections and to ensure that there is no government interference in its administration for cricket.

    "ICC funding will be suspended, and representative teams from the country will be barred from participating at ICC events, putting their participation in October's men's T20 World Cup qualifier in jeopardy."

    ICC chairman Shashank Manohar said: "We do not take the decision to suspend a member lightly, but we must keep our sport free from political interference,

    "What has happened in Zimbabwe is a serious breach of the ICC Constitution and we cannot allow it to continue unchecked. The ICC wants cricket to continue in Zimbabwe in accordance with the ICC Constitution."

    The introduction of concussions replacements in internationals was also sanction at the ICC Annual Conference in London, with like-for-like replacements allowed to be made from the first Ashes Test between England and Australia next month - pending approval from the match referee.

    Another rule change sees captains no longer facing a ban for slow over-rates.

  • Strauss warns England: Learn from 2005 Ashes and build dynasty off World Cup glory Strauss warns England: Learn from 2005 Ashes and build dynasty off World Cup glory

    Former director of cricket Andrew Strauss wants England to succeed where they failed in the wake of 2005 Ashes glory and build a dynasty off the back of their Cricket World Cup triumph.

    Strauss was part of the side that defeated Australia 2-1 in a thrilling home series 14 years ago and was then a key figure behind the scenes as England ripped up their white-ball strategy following a humiliating group-stage exit at the World Cup in 2015.

    Having been forced to step down from his director role last year to support his wife Ruth, who was being treated for terminal cancer, Strauss witnessed the culmination of his planning as Eoin Morgan's men edged New Zealand in an epic final at Lord's on Sunday.

    But Strauss issued a warning to the side ahead of the Ashes starting next month on the back of his own experiences as a player, when the Test side failed to win any of the three series following that famous 2005 win, before being whitewashed 5-0 in Australia when the battle for the urn was renewed in 2006-07.

    "I think there are a lot of similarities there," Strauss told Omnisport at the world premiere of 'The Edge'. "I think the lesson from 2005 is that was a high watermark and then we retreated back again.

    "We need to make this a sort of stepping stone to even bigger and better things. You can't beat winning a World Cup but you can create a dynasty for yourself in terms of performance.

    "But not just performance, how you are. We want our players to be people that people want to aspire to be. I think we've got a great group of players that are able to do that."

    Two of England's World Cup heroes, Jason Roy and Jofra Archer, are set to make the transition to the Test format – although the latter will only do so once he has recovered from a side strain.

    And Strauss sees no reason why the pair, full of confidence after Sunday's dramatic victory, cannot transfer their skills to the longer form.

    "I'm not sure either of them are actually white-ball specialists," Strauss added. "I think they've played white-ball cricket up until now, I think both of them are really well-seasoned to play Test cricket.

    "It's not going to be easy, Test cricket is a different game and it challenges you in different ways as well, but I think they'll be incredibly confident.

    "They've done it on the biggest stage of all which is a great hurdle to overcome, and we've got a great opportunity to beat the Aussies again, so let's take it."

  • Roy's bravado key to successful Test transition - Collingwood Roy's bravado key to successful Test transition - Collingwood

    Jason Roy's "bravado" will help transfer his form from 50-over cricket to the Test format, according to England fielding coach Paul Collingwood.

    Roy was one of the heroes of England's triumphant Cricket World Cup campaign, contributing to the key run out of Martin Guptill from the final ball of the Super Over as the hosts defeated New Zealand courtesy of a superior boundary count at the end of an epic final at Lord's on Sunday.

    And the opener's batting was a major factor throughout the tournament, scoring his 443 runs from just seven innings at a strike rate of more than 115, setting the tone for England with a typically belligerent approach alongside Jonny Bairstow.

    Roy's form has earned a maiden Test call-up as England prepare to face Ireland over four days next week before the start of the Ashes against Australia on August 1, and Collingwood has no doubts the Surrey batsman's coursing confidence will aid his adaptation to the longer form.

    "White-ball cricket and red-ball cricket are completely different ends of the spectrum," Collingwood told Omnisport, speaking at the world premiere of 'The Edge'.

    "But if he can bring that kind of that form, and that confidence and bravado that he brings to that white-ball game, I'm sure he'll be able to go out there and succeed.

    "He can quickly take a game away from the opposition if he gets on a roll, so it's exciting times to see people like that come into the side."

    Ian Bell, a former Ashes winner alongside Collingwood, echoed his old team-mate's sentiments.

    "I was really impressed actually at times with Jason Roy because even though he hasn't batted at the top of the order for Surrey, I thought there were times at the World Cup when the ball did move around and technically he played as well as anyone," Bell told Omnisport.

    "He has an opportunity… when you face Australia in the Ashes it's high pressure and they've got one of the best bowling attacks in world cricket right now. It will be a challenge but there's no doubt he's got the ability to do something very special."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.