Rugby Australia hits back at Israel Folau claims

By Sports Desk June 09, 2019

Rugby Australia (RA) insists it has acted with "complete professionalism and integrity" during the process that led to Israel Folau's sacking.

The former Wallabies full-back had his contract terminated following an investigation into an offensive social media post in April.

Folau, a devout Christian, uploaded an image to Instagram that said "hell awaits drunks, homosexuals, adulterers, liars, fornicators, thieves, atheists and idolators".

The 30-year-old had been warned for similar comments last year and was this time found guilty of a "high-level breach" of the governing body's code of conduct.

Folau opted not to appeal against RA's decision, but his legal team filed applications with the Fair Work Commission this week and he is reportedly seeking up to 10million Australian dollars in damages.

A letter reportedly sent by Folau to RA's board members in which he accused the governing body of leaking details of his Code of Conduct hearing to the media came to light on Saturday.

But RA hit back with a statement, which read: "While we accept that a PR firm has been engaged to coordinate a media campaign to promote the legal action taken against Rugby Australia, we are disappointed that this campaign is impacting on the work done by the thousands of volunteers who are delivering great experiences for the Rugby community and also that it has taken the focus away from a crucial Australian Super Rugby derby, being played by Israel's former team [the Waratahs].

"Rugby Australia has acted with complete professionalism and integrity at all times through the process in which Mr Folau was found by an independent three-member tribunal panel to have made multiple, serious breaches of the Professional Players Code of Conduct.

"While we will continue to respond to any legal action as required and will continue to defend the values that underpin our game and the work done by the hard working volunteers, we will not engage in a running media commentary."

Related items

  • All Blacks relieved after fending off powerful Argentina in Rugby Championship opener All Blacks relieved after fending off powerful Argentina in Rugby Championship opener

    New Zealand found it "bloody tough" to get the job done against Argentina, number eight Ardie Savea admitted.

    The All Blacks came out on top 20-16 in Buenos Aires as they began their Rugby Championship campaign on a winning note.

    But after first-half tries from Ngani Laumape and Brodie Retallick, and 10 points from the boot of Beauden Barrett, New Zealand were kept scoreless in the second half.

    They were clinging on at the end, and Savea agreed when asked if it felt like a "war" against the Pumas.

    Savea told SKY Sport NZ: "It was, mate. It was bloody tough out there.

    "The Argentinian players came out firing and just kept coming at us the full 80 minutes. I’m just proud of the boys for sticking in there.

    "We just talked about the next moment and dominating the next moment, so when we made mistakes we'd just connect and talk about the the next moment and how we could dominate that, and hopefully gain momentum."

    New Zealand will regroup for next weekend's home game against South Africa, and look to work out how Argentina caused them so many difficulties.

    "They bought a bit of line speed on our attack and they put our skills under pressure," Savea said.

    "And at times their pressure worked. We'll learn from that hopefully."

  • Argentina 16-20 New Zealand: All Blacks pip plucky Pumas Argentina 16-20 New Zealand: All Blacks pip plucky Pumas

    New Zealand fended off an impressive Argentina side 20-16 in Buenos Aires to secure a winning start to their Rugby Championship campaign.

    After South Africa's earlier resounding victory over Australia, this was a match of a different nature and the All Blacks were clinging on at the end for their success on Saturday.

    First-half tries from Ngani Laumape and Brodie Retallick looked to have put the visitors in control, but New Zealand went scoreless in the second 40 minutes.

    Emiliano Boffelli pulled a try back and, come the closing stages, Argentina were camped close to the New Zealand line.

    However, they could not find the second try they required to earn what would have been Argentina's first victory over world champions the All Blacks in 33 attempts.

    This clash followed the Jaguares' stunning run to the Super Rugby final, where they fell to New Zealand outfit the Crusaders.

    Argentina's starting line-up includes 13 Jaguares players and head coach Mario Ledesma hoped they could deliver a major upset.

    A pair of early penalties, the first from Nicolas Sanchez and the second a long-range kick from Boffelli, gave Argentina a 6-0 lead inside six minutes.

    Argentina were behind, though, after Laumape breached their defences in the 17th minute and Beauden Barrett booted the conversion.

    Sanchez and Barrett traded penalties in quick succession before the latter added his second three-pointer, and Retallick seized on a loose pass to run clear for a crucial try prior to half-time.

    Barrett added the two points again, but surprisingly New Zealand would make no further contribution to the scoresheet – the All Blacks failing to score in the second half of A test for the first time since 2011.

    New Zealand still achieved a 450th international win but not without a scare.

    A fine kick from Sanchez created the chance for Boffelli to dot down in the 47th minute. Sanchez added the conversion and Argentina, largely camped in New Zealand's half, were within a try with over half an hour left on the clock.

    Sanchez missed a penalty that could have made it closer still as the Pumas pushed hard to break down New Zealand, being defied at the death when they forced two lineouts close to the try line but could get over from neither.

  • Hooper: Australia have a lot to look at after South Africa defeat Hooper: Australia have a lot to look at after South Africa defeat

    Australia captain Michael Hooper acknowledged the Wallabies have "a lot to look at" after their heavy defeat to South Africa in the Rugby Championship.

    Inspired by debutant Herschel Jantjies in Johannesburg on Saturday, South Africa cruised to a 35-17 win at Ellis Park.

    South Africa capitalised on Taniela Tupou's's yellow card to run away with the game in the second half, though it was a much closer encounter prior to the interval.

    Indeed, had Dane Haylett-Petty - who scored Australia's first try - taken a great chance just after the half hour, the Wallabies would likely have lead at the break.

    And though Hooper was happy with Australia's attacking performance in the first half, he conceded they must learn their lessons from the defeat, with New Zealand and Argentina still to come before the World Cup in Japan.

    "South Africa controlled the second half so well," Hooper said.

    "We had a few opportunities in the first half which would have created a different picture but pat on the back to the South African team who controlled the ball and took advantage of the yellow card and took the match away.

    "Our attack in the first half was world-class. We showed a lot of different pictures but the reality is those things didn't happen and we were left with them doubling our points. There's a lot to look at."

    Springboks coach Rassie Erasmus, however, was not pleased with how his side performed despite the convincing victory.

    "A few guys certainly put their hands up for World Cup selection, but from a team performance perspective, this isn't how we want to play," he said.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.