Gutherson re-signs with Eels until 2022

By Sports Desk May 15, 2019

Parramatta Eels captain Clint Gutherson finally agreed to a new deal with the NRL club, extending his contract until the end of 2022.

Gutherson, 24, re-signed with the Eels on Thursday after a contract saga that cast doubt over his future in Parramatta.

Eels head coach Brad Arthur, who signed a contract extension earlier this week, was thrilled the full-back was staying with the club.

"I love coaching Clint. The energy and commitment he brings to work every day is unparalleled," he said in a statement.

"His team-mates look up to him and he sets a great example to the whole playing squad. I'm very happy he's staying."

Gutherson, who has played 70 NRL games for the Eels since arriving in 2016, was pleased to finally re-sign.

"I love the club and our loyal fans, I love playing the game and I love my team-mates so I'm very happy I'm staying," he said.

Parramatta sit eighth in the NRL ladder through nine games this season.

Related items

  • Tigers playmaker Marshall in no rush to decide future Tigers playmaker Marshall in no rush to decide future

    Benji Marshall says the "harassing" he has been subjected to over his future will not rush him into making a decision over whether to sign a new Wests Tigers deal.

    The 34-year-old playmaker is out of contract at the end of the season and is considering whether to extend his stellar career.

    New Zealand five-eighth Marshall plans to reveal his plans once the campaign comes to an end. 

    "I sort of wanted to wait and let the focus be about making the semis first," Marshall said.

    "They're [Wests] harassing me a bit. Well, everyone is, but I just don't want to make the wrong decision.

    "My body feels fine; body-wise I probably feel the best I have in years.

    "But there's a lot more to it than feeling good. There's no secret. Having a big pre-season under Madge [Tigers head coach Michael Maguire] this year helped me provide a base.

    "I'm just getting a bit of trust back in the body that I probably haven't had in a few years. I'm feeling good. I'll make the decision, though, in the next couple of weeks. I don't mind it."

  • Manly down Raiders after Leilua rush of blood, Storm see off Titans Manly down Raiders after Leilua rush of blood, Storm see off Titans

    Joey Leilua had a moment of madness as the injury-hit Manly Sea Eagles beat Canberra Raiders 18-14 to move into the top four after NRL leaders Melbourne Storm's defeat of Gold Coast Titans on Sunday.

    Canberra pulled off a stunning fightback to beat the Storm last weekend, but they were brought back down to earth at GIO Stadium eight days later.

    Jarrod Croker scored a try and four points with the boot before a couple of Reuben Garrick penalties reduced the Raiders' lead to 8-4 at the end of a first half in which Jack Wighton had a try contentiously ruled out.

    A third successful shot at goal from Croker increased his side's advantage, but Manly hit the front for the first time with an eight-point try 10 minutes into the second half.

    Jack Gosiewski intercepted a stray pass deep in the Manly half and fed Garrick, who raced away to score and was struck in the back by the knee of a sliding Leilua as he grounded the ball.

    Leilua was put on a report and Garrick picked himself up to slot over the conversion and penalty, then added the extras after Jake Trbojevic scored Manly's second try.

    Croker claimed a double nine minutes from time but missed the conversion and Manly held on to move level on points with the Raiders despite losing Joel Thompson (wrist) and Moses Suli (ankle).

    Melbourne moved four points clear of Sydney Roosters at the summit with a 24-8 win over the Titans at AAMI Park.

    The Storm closed in on the minor premiership, raising their game in the second half with tries from Ryan Papenhuyzen, Dale Finucane and Josh Addo-Carr after Kenny Bromwich went over prior to the interval.

  • Warrington stun St Helens to end Challenge Cup pain Warrington stun St Helens to end Challenge Cup pain

    Warrington Wolves upset St Helens to win the Challenge Cup with an emotional 18-4 triumph at Wembley.

    St Helens came into Saturday's showpiece as favourites given they are 16 points clear of any other team in Super League, but their wait for a first cup victory since 2008 goes on.

    Warrington had lost their last five matches, including one to Saints, and were playing without star man Blake Austin, but ended their recent misery in the competition to claim the trophy for a ninth time.

    Wolves, who last won in 2012, had lost in the final for two of the last three years, but building a 12-point first-half lead allowed them to end that run with a surprisingly convincing victory.

    Joe Philbin powered through a gap in the St Helens defence to open the scoring and, after a Lachlan Coote mistake allowed Ben Murdoch-Masila to dot down, a second Stefan Ratchford conversion had Warrington in control after 33 minutes.

    Saints - who had two first-half tries ruled out - broke through for the first time midway through the second half when Theo Fages sold the dummy and touched down, but Coote missed the kick to keep his side two scores behind.

    Both teams were finding the hot conditions difficult and there was no further scoring until man-of-the-match Daryl Clark broke from dummy-half to clinch the win for Warrington with eight minutes left, with Declan Patton nailing the conversion.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.