Victorian government 'confident' about 2021 Australian Open amid travel concerns

By Sports Desk November 17, 2020

Victorian premier Daniel Andrews is confident the Australian Open will go ahead in 2021, amid concerns over international travel due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The Tennis Channel reported on Tuesday that the Australian government was not allowing players to enter the country in December.

It came days after reports said lead-up events would be held in Victoria, rather than around Australia, to minimise travel ahead of the year's first grand slam.

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Andrews said there was still work to be done with organisers, but he is confident the tournament at Melbourne Park will go ahead.

"There was some reporting, and I'm not being critical of the reporting, but there was some reporting earlier in the week that this was all some sort of done deal, that there would be lead-up tournaments and the Australian Open and the whole thing was finalised," he said.

"I just want to make the point this is incredibly complex. It has to be done safely, it has to be done properly, so that reporting was not accurate.

"We are working very, very closely with Tennis Australia. They are working with all of their partners, we're confident that we'll finish up with an Australian Open. It's a very important event, but there's a lot of work to be done to make sure that's as safe as possible, not just for the broader Victorian community from a public health point of view, but it's got to be safe for those who are involved in the event, staff who work there.

"It's a massive task so there is more work that has to be done and we're deeply engaged with Tennis Australia and others to get that outcome and when that work is finished, we'll be able to say more."

On Wednesday, Victoria recorded its 19th straight day with no coronavirus cases.

Reports had suggested players would arrive in Australia in mid-December to quarantine prior to playing events.

In a note to players on Tuesday, the ATP confirmed there had been changes and it pointed to making plans for January.

"In discussions with Tennis Australia over the past 24 hours, we have been informed there are some new challenges around the previously planned arrival dates for players and team members," it read.

"We continue to work with Tennis Australia on confirming plans for January, and we will provide an update as soon as more information is available in the coming days.

"We understand there is uncertainty about the start of the 2021 season, and we are working as hard as possible to deliver the best possible calendar of events to players, maximising points, jobs and prizemoney opportunities."

Related items

  • Grizzlies have three games postponed due to COVID-19 protocols Grizzlies have three games postponed due to COVID-19 protocols

    The NBA has announced the Memphis Grizzlies' next three games have been postponed in accordance with COVID-19 protocols.

    Memphis had already seen Wednesday's scheduled meeting with the Portland Trail Blazers called off, the Grizzlies not having the league-required minimum of eight players available for action.

    The same teams had been due to meet on Friday, however that clash will no longer be going ahead as planned.

    Back-to-back games with the Sacramento Kings, set to take place on Sunday and Monday, are also postponed due to the combination of unavailable Grizzlies players and contact tracing for others on the roster. 

    "The Memphis Grizzlies' next three games - Friday, January 22 at Portland and Sunday, January 24 and Monday, January 25 vs Sacramento - have been postponed in accordance with the NBA's health and safety protocols," the NBA said in a statement.

    "The games are being postponed due to unavailable players for the Grizzlies and contact tracing for other players on their roster, and in order to ensure the health and safety of players on both teams."

    In total, 20 games have been postponed during the NBA regular season as the competition deals with the ongoing impact of the coronavirus pandemic.

    The Grizzlies are 7-6 on the season and on a five-game winning streak. Following the postponements, they are next due to be in action on January 27, when they host the Chicago Bulls.

  • Australian Open umpire Bernardes 'recovering well' after heart scare Australian Open umpire Bernardes 'recovering well' after heart scare

    Tennis umpire Carlos Bernardes is "recovering well" after reportedly suffering a heart attack ahead of the Australian Open.

    The veteran Brazilian, who has officiated in US Open and Wimbledon men's singles finals, was taken from his hotel to a Melbourne hospital on Wednesday after falling ill.

    It was widely reported he had a heart attack, with Bernardes pictured on a stretcher while being loaded into an ambulance.

    The ATP, which runs the men's tour and has been Bernardes' employer since 1990, offered an positive update on Thursday.

    In a statement, the governing body said: "Following admittance to hospital [non-COVID related] on Wednesday in Melbourne, we are pleased to report that ATP umpire Carlos Bernardes is recovering well.

    "Carlos passes on his gratitude for all the well wishes he's received, and we wish him all the best for a full recovery."

    According to Brazilian tennis website TenisNews, Bernardes remains under observation but is expected to leave hospital on Saturday.

    He was staying at The View, one of three hotels where Australian Open players and tennis officials are quarantining for two weeks after their arrival in the country.

  • Man City striker Aguero confirms positive coronavirus test Man City striker Aguero confirms positive coronavirus test

    Sergio Aguero has confirmed he is self-isolating after returning a positive test for coronavirus.

    The Manchester City striker has missed four straight games after coming into contact with another person who had contracted COVID-19.

    Aguero announced his result on Twitter and it is not known when he will be free to return to training.

    "After a close contact, I've been self-isolating and the latest test I took was positive for COVID 19," Aguero wrote.

    "I had some symptoms and I'm following doctor's orders for recovery. Take care, everyone."

    Aguero has played in just five Premier League games and nine matches in all competitions in a stop-start campaign.

    Gabriel Jesus, Kevin De Bruyne and Ferran Torres have all been utilised as a central attacking option at times this term.

    City are unbeaten in their past 16 matches in all competitions and are just two points off leaders Manchester United in the Premier League with a game in a hand.

    Pep Guardiola's men face Cheltenham Town in the FA Cup this weekend and also have league matches with West Brom and Sheffield United within the next 10 days.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.