Azarenka hopes French Open organisers put players ahead of money

By Sports Desk September 12, 2020

Victoria Azarenka hopes French Open organisers will put players first "rather than making money".

The rescheduled grand slam is set to start on September 27 amid the coronavirus pandemic, with fans to be in attendance.

Although it will be a limited number of spectators, it comes as COVID-19 cases surge again in France.

After losing the US Open final to Naomi Osaka on Saturday, Azarenka urged officials to protect players.

"I'm kind of excited for that, to play on clay. I haven't had the best relationship with clay seasons for years. Last year I kind of had a lot of fun. So I'm looking forward to just slide a little more," she told a news conference.

"It will be very interesting for me to see how French Open is going to handle the situation with the bubble life, with the COVID now.

"I hope they will do a good job of protecting the players first rather than making money. So we'll see."

Azarenka fell short of a third grand slam title and first since 2013, losing 1-6 6-3 6-3 to Osaka in what was her fifth major final.

While accepting the defeat hurt, the Belarusian said she would move on quickly.

"I'm not disappointed. I'm not necessarily disappointed. It's just painful. It's painful to lose. That is what it is. It was close. I was close. But it didn't go my way," Azarenka said.

"Am I going to think about it too long? Not at all. I said it. I win or I lose, I'm not going to change. I'm not going to sit here and be miserable. This was an experience that was just an experience that didn't go my way.

"I had a great two weeks. I enjoyed myself. I did everything I could today. Could I have played better? I think I could. But I left everything I could on the court today. She won the match. All the credit to Naomi. She's a champion.

"As I said, I thought third time is a charm, but I got to try again. That's what I'm going to do."

Related items

  • Del Potro admits to struggles in return bid, eyes Olympics Del Potro admits to struggles in return bid, eyes Olympics

    Juan Martin del Potro admitted he was struggling in his bid to return from knee surgery as he eyes next year's Olympics.

    Del Potro, 32, last played competitively 17 months ago and underwent a third right knee surgery in August.

    The 2009 US Open champion is still hoping to return, but admitted it had been challenging.

    "I am having a hard time coming back. I still stand by the desire that I have to continue playing," Del Potro told ESPN on Friday.

    "The reality is that it is difficult. I'm going to keep fighting as long as I feel like I want to continue."

    He added: "Due to the pandemic, the Olympics Games are next year and I'm excited to be there.

    "If I have to close my career, I think it would be to give myself an award to represent my country."

    A bronze medallist in men's singles at the 2012 Olympics, Del Potro won silver in Rio four years later, and said he hoped to retire on the court.

    The Argentinian also took time to remember the great Diego Maradona, who died on Wednesday.

    Del Potro recalled his meetings with Maradona during the 2016 Davis Cup final, which he helped Argentina win against Croatia in Zagreb.

    "In that Davis Cup final, every night, on my own without anyone knowing, I saw him 10, 15 minutes before going to sleep," he said.

    "He did it in private so that he doesn't disarm the team's structure."

    Del Potro added: "He sent me a very nice message after winning and I gave him my racquet."

  • Barcelona to save €122m after players agree to wage cut Barcelona to save €122m after players agree to wage cut

    Barcelona have reached an agreement in principle with their players over a wage cut that will save them €122million.

    The LaLiga giants were seeking to reduce their wage bill amid financial problems due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    In a statement on Friday, Barcelona confirmed they had reached an agreement in principle with their players.

    Along with the €122m in savings, they also said variable payments of about €50m had been deferred over a three-year period.

    "The agreement, if it is ratified, will be a milestone of great importance to redirect the current economic situation," the club said.

    The agreement is pending ratification in the coming days by the players and coaches affected.

    Barca are believed to have one of the highest wage bills in Europe, and the likes of Luis Suarez, Ivan Rakitic and Arturo Vidal left the club in the close season.

    Ronald Koeman's side are struggling in 13th in LaLiga ahead of hosting Osasuna on Sunday.

  • F1 2020: Red Bull sporting director to miss Bahrain Grand Prix with coronavirus F1 2020: Red Bull sporting director to miss Bahrain Grand Prix with coronavirus

    Red Bull must cope without sporting director Jonathan Wheatley for this weekend's Bahrain Grand Prix after he tested positive for COVID-19.

    The 53-year-old Briton has not travelled to Bahrain and has begun a 10-day period in isolation.

    Red Bull sit second in the constructors' championship this season, with Max Verstappen accounting for 170 of their 240 points and Alexander Albon contributing the rest.

    Wheatley joined Red Bull from Renault in 2006 and has been a pivotal figure in the team's rise.

    It remains to be seen whether he can return for next week's Ssakhir Grand Prix, which also takes place in Bahrain.

    Red Bull said in a statement: "We can confirm that during mandatory pre-race testing in the UK, sporting director Jonathan Wheatley tested positive for COVID-19.

    "In accordance with official protocols he will continue to isolate for the 10-day period and not attend the Bahrain GP.

    "Jonathan's duties will be shared by a number of team personnel at this weekend's Bahrain GP.

    "The positive test has not resulted in any other team members needing to isolate following contact tracing and will not affect the team's trackside operations."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.