US Open 2020: Zverev, Shapovalov into last eight as Djokovic defaults

By Sports Desk September 06, 2020

Alexander Zverev and Denis Shapovalov reached the US Open quarter-finals as Novak Djokovic sensationally defaulted on Sunday.

Djokovic's bid for an 18th grand slam title came to an end after he was disqualified at Flushing Meadows.

The Serbian's stunning exit has opened up the men's draw, with a first-time grand slam winner set to be crowned in New York.

Zverev and Shapovalov remain in contention for their maiden major triumphs after impressive wins.

 

ZVEREV, SHAPOVALOV INTO LAST EIGHT

Zverev, the German fifth seed, needed just one hour, 34 minutes to crush Spaniard Alejandro Davidovich Fokina 6-2 6-2 6-1.

The 23-year-old Zverev progressed to his fourth grand slam quarter-final and first at the US Open after the comfortable win.

He hit 39 winners and 22 unforced errors in a straightforward victory.

Shapovalov, 21, also progressed thanks to a hard-fought 6-7 (0-7) 6-3 6-4 6-3 win over David Goffin.

The Canadian 12th seed needed three and a half hours and 51 winners to reach a grand slam quarter-final for the first time.

Shapovalov became the first Canadian man to reach the quarter-finals at the US Open in the Open Era.

Before Sunday, Shapovalov would have been expecting to face Djokovic in the last eight before the drama on Arthur Ashe Stadium.

 

DJOKOVIC DEFAULTS

The favourite to win the major, Djokovic was defaulted during his fourth-round clash with Pablo Carreno Busta.

Djokovic had just been broken to fall 6-5 behind in the first set when he hit a ball that struck a linesperson, leading to his disqualification.

The three-time US Open winner later posted an apology on social media as he bowed out in extraordinary circumstances.

"This whole situation has left me really sad and empty. I checked on the linesperson and the tournament told me that thank God she is feeling ok," Djokovic wrote. "I'm extremely sorry to have caused her such stress. So unintended. So wrong. I'm not disclosing her name to respect her privacy.

"As for the disqualification, I need to go back within and work on my disappointment and turn this all into a lesson for my growth and evolution as a player and human being.

"I apologise to the @usopen tournament and everyone associated for my behaviour. I'm very grateful to my team and family for being my rock support, and my fans for always being there with me. Thank you and I'm so sorry."

 

CORIC INTO FIRST QUARTER-FINAL

Borna Coric backed up his incredible win over Stefanos Tsitsipas by easing past Australian Jordan Thompson 7-5 6-1 6-3.

The Croatian 27th seed was too good for Thompson on his way to a first major quarter-final, where Zverev awaits.

"Look, definitely it's a very good chance for all of us. Again, like I said, I think maybe like a couple minutes ago, I need to focus on my next match and on my next opponent, which is a very, very tough opponent," Coric said afterwards.

"There's going to be new grand slam champion, for sure. Yeah, that could potentially can happen that some of us can do something more in the future. But again, it doesn't mean anything. I'm really looking forward to seeing who it's going to be. I think we all have a very good chance. Yeah, it's going to be very interesting.

"For me, the most important is just to focus on the next match, like I said at the beginning. I cannot focus on the finals or what happened earlier in the day. I just need to focus on my next match."

Related items

  • Tiley confident Australian Open plans close to being finalised amid cancellation reports Tiley confident Australian Open plans close to being finalised amid cancellation reports

    Australian Open tournament director Craig Tiley is confident plans for next year's event will be finalised "very soon".

    Uncertainty remains over the scheduled first grand slam of 2021 due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    The start of the Australian Open looks set to be pushed back by a week or two, having originally been scheduled to begin on January 18, amid questions about the players' travel and preparation.

    In a statement, Tiley said details were close to being finalised, with reports on Tuesday having said the event could be cancelled.

    "Tennis Australia continues to work closely and productively with the Victorian government and we are confident we will be in a position to finalise details for the Australian Open 2021 very soon," he said.

    "We are also in constant communication with the global tennis community, including the Tours, the players and their teams, as we consult with them on plans for the event and how players can safely practise and prepare for a grand slam tournament under the Victorian government's proposed quarantine conditions.

    "Understandably there has been public speculation on the various plans under consideration as well as the many confidential conversations that have taken place and our position remains clear – everything will require approval and agreement from the Victorian government before it can be confirmed.

    "The protection and safety of the community remains paramount in the discussions.

    "Our team continues to work on delivering a fantastic – and safe – AO 2021 for the players, the fans, our partners and our staff. We look forward to announcing more details, including when tickets will go on sale, very soon."

    Victoria has been without a new coronavirus case since October 30.

    The Australian Open has started in January in every year since 1987, but Victorian minister for tourism, sport and major events Martin Pakula said last week next year's tournament was likely to be delayed by a week or two.

  • Del Potro admits to struggles in return bid, eyes Olympics Del Potro admits to struggles in return bid, eyes Olympics

    Juan Martin del Potro admitted he was struggling in his bid to return from knee surgery as he eyes next year's Olympics.

    Del Potro, 32, last played competitively 17 months ago and underwent a third right knee surgery in August.

    The 2009 US Open champion is still hoping to return, but admitted it had been challenging.

    "I am having a hard time coming back. I still stand by the desire that I have to continue playing," Del Potro told ESPN on Friday.

    "The reality is that it is difficult. I'm going to keep fighting as long as I feel like I want to continue."

    He added: "Due to the pandemic, the Olympics Games are next year and I'm excited to be there.

    "If I have to close my career, I think it would be to give myself an award to represent my country."

    A bronze medallist in men's singles at the 2012 Olympics, Del Potro won silver in Rio four years later, and said he hoped to retire on the court.

    The Argentinian also took time to remember the great Diego Maradona, who died on Wednesday.

    Del Potro recalled his meetings with Maradona during the 2016 Davis Cup final, which he helped Argentina win against Croatia in Zagreb.

    "In that Davis Cup final, every night, on my own without anyone knowing, I saw him 10, 15 minutes before going to sleep," he said.

    "He did it in private so that he doesn't disarm the team's structure."

    Del Potro added: "He sent me a very nice message after winning and I gave him my racquet."

  • Australian Open likely to be delayed, but only by a week or two Australian Open likely to be delayed, but only by a week or two

    The 2021 Australian Open is likely to be pushed back, but only for a week or two.

    Uncertainty has surrounded the scheduled first grand slam of next year amid the coronavirus pandemic.

    Reports had suggested the Australian Open could start in March or April, instead of its scheduled January 18 beginning.

    But Victorian minister for tourism, sport and major events Martin Pakula said on Wednesday a delay of a week or two was looking likely.

    "I think that's most likely, but it's not the only option," he told reporters, via the ABC.

    This year's Wimbledon was cancelled and the US Open was played behind closed doors, while the French Open was delayed before allowing a limited number of spectators.

    Victoria on Wednesday recorded its 26th consecutive day without a new coronavirus case.

    Pakula confirmed players would be tested and contained in a bubble during the Australian Open.

    "It's fair to say that Tennis Australia and the playing group have been encouraged to keep the total number of people coming in, not necessarily to a minimum, but to a lower number than would otherwise be the case," he said.

    "People need to bear in mind that there will be an extremely rigorous testing regime that will apply to the tennis players both before they leave the port that they're coming from and when they arrive, and I would imagine consistently during the time that they're in their bubble."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.