ATP

Murray victorious in Battle of the Brits opener

By Sports Desk June 23, 2020

Andy Murray expects to find it tough going against Kyle Edmund in his second match despite making a promising start to his campaign at the Battle of the Brits event. 

In his first competitive action since appearing at the Davis Cup Finals in November, the three-time grand slam winner recorded a 6-2 6-2 win over Liam Broady on Tuesday. 

Murray admitted beforehand that he had little chance to practice before taking part in the exhibition tournament at the National Tennis Centre in Roehampton, stating before his opener that his main aim was to "get through" it with his body holding up.

The Scot has been troubled with a pelvic injury but, with his serve working well and showing the occasional glimpse of his undoubted quality, he proved far too strong for Broady. 

Still, he refused to get too carried away with his performance, describing it as "okay" during his post-match interview with Amazon Prime Video.

"I served pretty well, I thought I served well throughout the match. A lot of free points there – I've been working on my serve quite a lot," Murray said.

"I didn't hit the ball that well from the back of the court, quite a lot of errors and my balance didn't feel great. I wasn't timing the ball very well, but it was alright. 

"For a first match in seven months, I've not been practising much and not even doing that well in practice matches, it was alright."

However, Murray is expecting to have problems on Wednesday when he attempts to deal with Edmund, who began his campaign by beating James Ward. 

"He's fit, hitting a big ball, so I'd be surprised if I manage to come through that one," the world number 129 said of his next opponent.

"If I serve like I did today and hit the ball better a little bit cleaner from the back of the court, I'll give myself some chances. But it will be tough."

The event, organised by Jamie Murray, is following strict health guidelines as it is taking place amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Related items

  • Hamilton 'devastated' to miss Sakhir GP after positive coronavirus test Hamilton 'devastated' to miss Sakhir GP after positive coronavirus test

    Lewis Hamilton is "devastated" that he will miss this weekend's Sakhir Grand Prix after testing positive for coronavirus.

    Seven-time Formula One champion Hamilton awoke with mild symptoms on Monday and returned a positive test for COVID-19.

    According to Mercedes, he found out on the same day that a close contact prior to his arrival in Bahrain for last weekend's race had also tested positive.

    The team also said Hamilton tested negative three times prior to the Bahrain Grand Prix.

    Hamilton is expected to be replaced by Stoffel Vandoorne or Esteban Gutierrez for the second race at Bahrain International Circuit.

    In a statement posted on social media, Hamilton wrote: "I'm devastated that I won't be racing this weekend. Since we started the season in June, my team and I have been taking all the precautions we possible can and following the regulations everywhere we've been in order to stay safe.

    "Unfortunately, even though I returned three negative results this past week, I woke up yesterday morning with mild symptoms and requested another test which came back positive. I've immediately gone into self-isolation for 10 days.

    "I'm gutted not to be able to race this weekend but my priority is to follow the protocols and advice to protect others. I'm really lucky that I feel ok with only mild symptoms and will do my best to stay fit and healthy.

    "Please look after yourselves out there, you can never be too careful. These are worrying times for everyone and we need to make sure we are looking after ourselves and each other. Stay positive."

    Hamilton wrapped up the title in Turkey last month and triumphed in Sunday's first race in Bahrain.

  • Hamilton to miss Sakhir GP after positive COVID-19 test Hamilton to miss Sakhir GP after positive COVID-19 test

    Lewis Hamilton will miss this weekend's Sakhir Grand Prix after testing positive for COVID-19, Mercedes have announced.

    The seven-time Formula One champion has returned two positive results since Monday, when he was informed a contact prior to his arrival in Bahrain had contracted the virus.

    Mercedes said Hamilton, who is in isolation with mild symptoms, had tested negative three times prior to the Bahrain Grand Prix last week.

    While the Silver Arrows have not confirmed who will stand in for Hamilton, their official reserve drivers are Stoffel Vandoorne and Esteban Gutierrez.

    A team statement read: "The Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 Team regrets to announce that Lewis Hamilton has tested positive for COVID-19 and will be unable to take part in this weekend's Sakhir GP.

    "Lewis was tested three times last week and returned a negative result each time, the last of which was on Sunday afternoon at the Bahrain International Circuit as part of the standard race weekend testing programme.  

    "However, he woke up on Monday morning with mild symptoms and was informed at the same time that a contact prior to arrival in Bahrain had subsequently tested positive. Lewis therefore took a further test and returned a positive result. This has since been confirmed by a retest.

    "Lewis is now isolating in accordance with COVID-19 protocols and public health authority guidelines in Bahrain. Apart from mild symptoms, he is otherwise fit and well, and the entire team sends him its very best wishes for a swift recovery.

    "We will announce our replacement driver plans for this weekend in due course."

    Hamilton sealed the F1 title at the Turkish Grand Prix and was triumphant in the first part of a double-header in Bahrain on Sunday.

    He becomes the third driver to miss a grand prix after a positive coronavirus test, following Sergio Perez at Silverstone – where he sat out both races – and Lance Stroll in Germany.

    Nico Hulkenberg stepped in for Racing Point when Perez and Stroll were ruled out and could be an option for Mercedes this weekend too.

  • BREAKING NEWS: Hamilton to miss Sakhir GP after positive COVID-19 test BREAKING NEWS: Hamilton to miss Sakhir GP after positive COVID-19 test

    Lewis Hamilton will miss this weekend's Sakhir Grand Prix after testing positive for COVID-19, Mercedes have announced.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.